Preseason All Americans | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Preseason All Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart, Sr, Connecticut-Stewart will be the heavy favorite to take home her third POY award and fourth championship. She is incredibly difficult to match up with, and will need to take a leadership role for UCONN to be successful next year.

Stewart really does not need to take on a leadership role for UConn to be successful as Jefferson, Tuck and even Nurse could easily fill that role.

Reaction Score
Breanna didn't mention it but I thought I remember reading that Geno said it was serious roll over and that her ankle was still in bad shape a few days after the game.
From Geno:
"Look at what she did after she sprained her ankle [late in the first half] in the title game—and I saw that ankle a couple of days later, and it was blown up. She subtly had 15 rebounds and four blocked shots, not to mention how many shots she changed."
i-MtTcRkX-M.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think she'll more than sneak in. Her play will probably command a place on the third or even on the second team.

I dont think she will be on the Pre-season All-American team... but if she peforms as expected during the season I expect to see her on some post season All-American lists. Perhaps its the Duke fan in me, but I still think she is overshadowed a bit and will slot behind K.Mitchell, Wilson, and Turner in terms of rising sophomores

Reaction Score
With Burdick and Harrison, both HM All-Americans and 1st team SEC graduated, I think one of either Graves or Russell will be an All-American. Just depends on which one is more dominant. After seeing Russell play much better than she did as a freshman while overseas, while also adding a lot of strength, I think she DeShields and Graves can all contend for AA status, and they'll prove to be one of the most lethal trios in the country.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Tuck definitely All American first team. If Nurse performs half as well as she did in the Pan Am Medal game we may have another candidate. Tuck was overlooked, cheated, by-passed, left-out of this year's A.A. first team (take your choice )

As will Nurse be left out next year save a season where she out-plays (and out-scores) the ferocious trio that is Stewie-Mo-Tuck. Actually I guess she only needs to beat Tuck in this race. But then how sad? Tuck really deserves it. Realistically tho I think she gets 2nd team and Nurse waits in line like most, not all other Huskies before her.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
With Burdick and Harrison, both HM All-Americans and 1st team SEC graduated, I think one of either Graves or Russell will be an All-American. Just depends on which one is more dominant. After seeing Russell play much better than she did as a freshman while overseas, while also adding a lot of strength, I think she DeShields and Graves can all contend for AA status, and they'll prove to be one of the most lethal trios in the country.
I like Graves, but I just don't see it. She excels best when she has space in the paint to use her quickness to get by defenders. She played her best ball without Harrison in the paint taking up space. Russell is a big post and will draw a lot of attention inside. I don't see Tennessee having spacing that will be favorable to Graves. Graves also has had underwhelming sophomore and junior seasons after she was arguably the top freshman in the nation back in 2012-13. Kind of crazy to think she was outplaying Stewart for much of their freshman seasons. I'd look for DeShields and possibly Russell as the AA candidates. That said, it has been over a decade since Tennessee has had 2 major threats for AA (last in 2003 with Lawson/Jackson). Tennessee historically does best when they have a superstar (ex. Parker, Holdsclaw, Gordon, McCray, etc) to build their offense around and others omplimentary players have more specialized roles (ex. Spencer/Zolman as shooters, Auguste/Niya Butts as a defensive sparkplug, Bobbitt/Jolly as steady point guards, etc.) rather than UCONN and Notre Dame who typically have more balance in their offense and a slew of 10ppg+ scorers.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I dont think she will be on the Pre-season All-American team... but if she peforms as expected during the season I expect to see her on some post season All-American lists. Perhaps its the Duke fan in me, but I still think she is overshadowed a bit and will slot behind K.Mitchell, Wilson, and Turner in terms of rising sophomores

Agreed. The difference is, Wilson and Turner are coming from Final Four teams and Mitchell scored a zillion points per game last year. Stevens is outstanding and a unique player with the size and skill set, but she isn't on a top team, nor was she an 18-20ppg scorer last years so she could definitely get overlooked. That said, if Duke is a better team this year and she has a big year, she'll definitely get some recognition.

Reaction Score
IMHO the Pre-season AA team will be:

1st team
Stewart, PF, UCONN
Jefferson, PG, UCONN
Tuck, F/C UCONN
Nina Davis, SF, Baylor
Tiffany Mitchell, SG, SoCar

2nd team
DeShields, TN
Mitchell, theOSU
Turner, ND
A'ja Wilson SoCar
Stevens, Duke

3rd team
Hamblin, Oregon St.
Coates, SoCar
Nurse, UCONN
Alleyne, Oregon
Allen, ND

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
IMHO the Pre-season AA team will be:

1st team
Stewart, PF, UCONN
Jefferson, PG, UCONN
Tuck, F/C UCONN
Nina Davis, SF, Baylor
Tiffany Mitchell, SG, SoCar

2nd team
DeShields, TN
Mitchell, theOSU
Turner, ND
A'ja Wilson SoCar
Stevens, Duke

3rd team
Hamblin, Oregon St.
Coates, SoCar
Nurse, UCONN
Alleyne, Oregon
Allen, ND
Seems reasonable. Wouldn't surprise me if the Mitchells were flip-flopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom