Preseason All Americans | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Preseason All Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe not. In the Game at ND earlier in the year Stewie only took 4 shots in the second half. One of which was an attempted tip in.

Or "MAYBE."

She actually took 3 shots in 2nd half but took 8 free throws.

Secondly, I don't know why you want to negate tip ins. This is a 6'4 - 6'5 player with enormous length. We've seen her make tip-ins too, haven't we? And if she tips it once with her long arms the person behind her at times it at a disadvantage the 2nd time aren't they? This isn't a small guard trying to tip in.

And another thing is - UCONN wasn't struggling much vs ND the 1sttime. Tuck was having her way. Only late did KML take over in game 2.

By the way, if you get a chance I would love to hear yoru perspective on a play at the 10:20 mark to about 10:05 -- watch Stewart move without the ball and watch Jefferson. Tell me what you think on that play happened. I'd like to hear your perspective on Stewie, MoJejf and ND's defense.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Okay regarding the 18 points point taken - I thought she average just 16 it was actually 17.6 . So Turner bottled her up the whole game?

She had 4 points before she got hurt and there were 8 minutes left in the half. In that time -- there were 22 possession by UCONN - 5 were fastbreak opportuntities of which one Stewie scored. The others were either scored conversions or missed turnovers so for those there is no value in determining who is guarding who. Of the other 17 possessions UCONN had -- 10 Turner guarded her, 5 Remier did and two Huffman guarded her. Seventeen possessions and you want to give all the credit to Turner? Or can we say it was ND's defense? In the 2nd half numbers are similar.

Stewie scored 15 points vs ND last game but was 3-12 from the floor. Nine for 10 from the ft line. So it's your opinion that Reimer's defense, the defenses that Muffett threw, Hoffman's defense and Cable's were irrelevant vs Turner's? And /or you think a defense can legitimately hold a healthy Stewart - the NPOY-- to just two points in the 2nd half of a title game? You think it is reasonable that a 6'4 or 6'5 player with her size and length in the 2nd half can only get off two shots because of the defense of 1 freshman player?

David from Dish n Swishin - had posted on here that Stewie dominated pros months before the USA Trials. So we're supposed to believe a freshman forced a 6'4 or 6'5 player who was as you mention was extremely hot leading into the finals -- all of a sudden she can only get off two shots in the 2nd half because the freshman bottled her up ?

You mean for example at the 5:51 mark when MoJeff starts driving from top of the key and Turner is guarding Stewie doesn't even help to defend but we're to ignore that this super defender just "missed" the help yet played near perfect defense every other minute (she would have had to be near perfect - in order to hold the NPOY to 2 shots)? No help defense off of Stewie yet UCONN certainly helped off of Turner, didn't they? There was no gimmick defense on Turner also- was there? Such as when Doris states during the game that ND was leaving Nurse open and MoJeff somewhat open -- and even sometimes they went into gimmick defenses such as triangle and two (On Stewie NOT on Turner) and you have Cable or Huffman also guarding her -- but it's all about "that the freshman bottled up Stewie?" And not the familiarity with ND vs UCONN in that for example we've already seen Stewie go 3-12 in a prior game? Nah- I'm not buying your analysis.

IMO ND's team defense geared to stop her- not just 1 player. And unlike Turner getting the ball from their guards penetration, Steiw wasn't because just as we saw with the gimmicks, leaving Nurse wide open, the open layup by MoJeff - they were all in as a TEAM to to stop Stewie - not just 1 player. ND sacrificed their team defense in order to let anyone else but Stewie (and tried to stop Lewis) beat them. That's why you saw the gimmick defenses. That's why they left Nurse wide open. Why they left MoJeff partially open. Why Turner let MoJeff get to the basket with absolutely no help off of Stewie. And most importantly - why you saw just two shots from Stewie the entire 2nd half is that she was hurt. It didn't matter if Turner, or Reimer or Cable was guarding her. She was hurt - and just as unable to get off a shot vs those two than she could vs. Turner.

For some reason I thought she went down with just a couple minutes left in the half. Even so, she wasn't on pace to have a huge night. Turner should get the majority of the credit since she was the primary defender on Stewart. Huffman is a scrappy defender, and Taya has the size and bulk to be physical with Stewart, but Turner was guarding her for most of the evening. I don't recall individual plays, but regardless of whether Stewart was 100% or not, I thought Turner was outstanding on both sides of the ball that night and outplayed any other frontcourt player.

Reaction Score
For some reason I thought she went down with just a couple minutes left in the half. Even so, she wasn't on pace to have a huge night. Turner should get the majority of the credit since she was the primary defender on Stewart. Huffman is a scrappy defender, and Taya has the size and bulk to be physical with Stewart, but Turner was guarding her for most of the evening. I don't recall individual plays, but regardless of whether Stewart was 100% or not, I thought Turner was outstanding on both sides of the ball that night and outplayed any other frontcourt player.

Sure Turner did outplay Stewie. I agree. But my issue was that Stewie was hurt.

However I agree with the poster that spoke of KML. Though I consider KML a wing. I thought KML was better as was MoJeff. Though I agree Turner was the best frontcourt player.

Reaction Score
How is that ridiculous? She had 14 points, 10 rebounds, shot 7-9 from the floor and defensively did an outstanding job on Stewart. On the season Stewart was obviously the superior player, but that game I'd argue Turner had the best showing of anyone besides Jefferson.
You didn't say she had the best game of any forward in that game, you said she was the best forward on the court and that's where the "ridiculous" comes in. She's obviously talented or UConn wouldn't have put that much of an effort into recruiting her but she has a way to go to be compared to a unique talent like Breanna as I assume you know. I thought the same thing when I read your analysis which I thought was quite good, overall! Nice job!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I may be wrong, but I think that Beatrice Mompremier may be a surprise in the conversation. She is big, super athletic and can finish equally well with each hand around the basket. It may take a few games like it did with Nina Davis to convince Kim that she should start, but I think she will be in the starting lineup by mid-season.
If you are looking for a FR post to make a splash, it's probably going to be Kristine Anigwe. She has really come on strong this past year.

BuckLucas

Bucks Are The Crux
Reaction Score
Ohio State has everyone back plus three pretty good players who had ACL surgeries. Think they will be top twenty at a minimum.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Or "MAYBE."

She actually took 3 shots in 2nd half but took 8 free throws.

Secondly, I don't know why you want to negate tip ins. This is a 6'4 - 6'5 player with enormous length. We've seen her make tip-ins too, haven't we? And if she tips it once with her long arms the person behind her at times it at a disadvantage the 2nd time aren't they? This isn't a small guard trying to tip in.

And another thing is - UCONN wasn't struggling much vs ND the 1sttime. Tuck was having her way. Only late did KML take over in game 2.

By the way, if you get a chance I would love to hear yoru perspective on a play at the 10:20 mark to about 10:05 -- watch Stewart move without the ball and watch Jefferson. Tell me what you think on that play happened. I'd like to hear your perspective on Stewie, MoJejf and ND's defense.

No intention to negate a tip in- I gave her full credit the tip in was one of her 4 shot attempts. I am glad you mentioned FT attempts because that is also an indication of activity. In the first two minutes of the second half Stewie had 1 Block 1 rebound and 1 steal. She finished with 7 rebounds for the half. All great signs of activity IMO. Was Stewie hampered by the ankle? Absolutely ( she said as much) but to say that 2 shot attempts is proof positive of that is our point of disagreement.
Muffet was determined to let anyone on UCONN beat her except Stewie because that is a bad movie she had seen too many times. Stanford used the same strategy we'll let anyone beat us but not Stewie! The first 10 Minutes of the Stanford game Stewie had exactly 1 shot attempt.
In the last NC game what ND was willing to give up was the 3 point shot. KML took 4, Nurse took 2, MoJeff took 3, Tuck took 1 all in the second half. UCONN made 5 of the 10 3PT shots in the second half and kept ND at arms length and won the game. Many of the 10 shots where wide open shot when a ND player decided to help off of Stewie.
I will relook at the play at the 10:20 mark to about 10:05 with an open mind and see if that changes my opinion.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You didn't say she had the best game of any forward in that game, you said she was the best forward on the court and that's where the "ridiculous" comes in. She's obviously talented or UConn wouldn't have put that much of an effort into recruiting her but she has a way to go to be compared to a unique talent like Breanna as I assume you know. I thought the same thing when I read your analysis which I thought was quite good, overall! Nice job!

Thanks, Buzzy. People misinterpreted my comment, I meant that game I thought she had the best performance of all front court players, not that she was the best player generally speaking. I'm interested to see how they match up next year. I think Turner has potential to improve leaps and bounds in the off season, but at the same time, defenses are going to key on her now that Loyd is gone which presents a new set of challenges. I think if anyone has the ability to defend Stewart, it'd have to be Turner because of her size, length and quickness.

Reaction Score
The Championship game stats:
- Stewie: 8 pts, 15 rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 steals, 1 t/o
- Turner: 14 pts, 10 rebound, 1 block, 1 steal, 2 t/o

FACT: Aside from scoring 6 fewer points, a clearly injured Stewie did EVERYTHING better than Turner on the stat sheet and on the floor to win.

FACT: Despite her bad ankle, Stewie played the entire game, impacting everything ND tried to do on both ends. On defense, Stewie controlled the boards with 12 defensive rebounds, blocked shots, and she deflected or altered at least 6 drives to the hoop, 3 by Loyd (I'm sure-I've watched the game 6-7 times :D). On offense, particularly for the 10 minutes Stokes played and wasn't defended, ND had Huffman and Cable doubling and pestering Stewie non-stop. Didn't work- aside from the one charge Cable drew, that only resulted in better looks for Stewie's teammates. So even as physically limited as she was in the 2nd half, Stewie's mere presence caused ND huge problems they struggled to adjust to, all game long. And it cost them.

FACT: Stewie impacted the game for the full 40 minutes. Turner was invisible for the first 20 minutes. Whether you buy the excuse that her first half non-performance was the result of "nerves" or of a healthier Stewie (as I believe), the bottom line is that Stewie played hurt and played great, doing everything her team needed of her to win. Stewie took so few shots in the second half because of her hurting ankle and because her team needed her to defend and rebound and block shots and NOT because of Turner's defensive wizardry. Turner's inability to do anything in the first half put her team in a 10-point hole it could never get out of. Turner's first 20 minutes cost ND bigtime, maybe the game. Had Stewie likewise completely disappeared for 20 minutes, they would be celebrating still in South Bend.

FACT: You simply cannot say that Turner, who contributed only 20 productive 2nd half minutes for her team, no matter how effective, was the best frontcourt player that day. The game is 40 minutes, and what Turner was unable to do for her team in the first 20 minutes negated her excellent 2nd half. What I will grant the Turner crazies is that she had the best second half of any frontcourt player. But one half of great play does not a title get!

Last thing- Besides the off-balance foul line bank-shot chuck with the shot clock running out, Turner did not make or attempt a single shot from beyond 2 feet, literally. She only scored on put backs, and looking at replays of four of her other games, if she isn't scoring on fast break layups or 2 foot put backs, she isn't scoring. Talented but she has an incredibly limited offensive skill set. She has potential, but if she doesn't develop a shot, even just a 6-8 foot shot, she will never be great.

-Moriah was the player of the game. Period. And Turner was absolutely NOT the "frontcourt player of the game." That would be Stewie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No intention to negate a tip in- I gave her full credit the tip in was one of her 4 shot attempts. I am glad you mentioned FT attempts because that is also an indication of activity. In the first two minutes of the second half Stewie had 1 Block 1 rebound and 1 steal. She finished with 7 rebounds for the half. All great signs of activity IMO. Was Stewie hampered by the ankle? Absolutely ( she said as much) but to say that 2 shot attempts is proof positive of that is our point of disagreement.
Muffet was determined to let anyone on UCONN beat her except Stewie because that is a bad movie she had seen too many times. Stanford used the same strategy we'll let anyone beat us but not Stewie! The first 10 Minutes of the Stanford game Stewie had exactly 1 shot attempt.
In the last NC game what ND was willing to give up was the 3 point shot. KML took 4, Nurse took 2, MoJeff took 3, Tuck took 1 all in the second half. UCONN made 5 of the 10 3PT shots in the second half and kept ND at arms length and won the game. Many of the 10 shots where wide open shot when a ND player decided to help off of Stewie.
I will relook at the play at the 10:20 mark to about 10:05 with an open mind and see if that changes my opinion.

I thought the tip in you were trying to minimize it. I don't know why you mentioned it - when you said it was one of her 4 attempts. I didn't understand - still don't but it's not important - why mention it- if you weren't trying to minimize it? Ahh forget it. Not important.

Regarding the 10:05 to the 10:20 mark of 2nd half of game 2-- I'm not trying to change your opinion. I don't think either of us will change that. Just wondering what your observations are. I thought the play was comical relating to our discussion but won't sway either of our opinions.

Regarding the ft attempts - I brought that up when you had mentioned Stewie only took 3/4 shots in 2nd half of 1st game. SO I'm not sure why you're glad I mentioned it. My point of bringing that up was that she was healthy enough to get additional scoring opportunities so the number of field goal attempts you referenced as a comparison to my comment of two Stewie only taking tow as proof she was hurt -- I didn't agree with it.

Regarding two attempts in a 2nd half-- unless you or anyone else can reference to me a a great team's leading scorer (in this case one of the greatest wcbb of all-time) in a big game not in foul trouble and not hurt -- in what instance can you point out that great player only took two shots? I didn't reference free throw attempts because I felt I didn't need to. If a player is getting tot he line it shows they are active as you say- which Stewie was in game 1. IMO in Game 2 she could get tot he line much at all in 2nd half and could only muster up two shots - imo that is proof positive she was hurt.

Reaction Score
The Championship game stats:
- Stewie: 8 pts, 15 rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 steals, 1 t/o
- Turner: 14 pts, 10 rebound, 1 block, 1 steal, 2 t/o

FACT: Aside from scoring 6 fewer points, a clearly injured Stewie did EVERYTHING better than Turner on the stat sheet and on the floor to win.

FACT: Despite her bad ankle, Stewie played the entire game, impacting everything ND tried to do on both ends. On defense, Stewie controlled the boards with 12 defensive rebounds, blocked shots, and she deflected or altered at least 6 drives to the hoop, 3 by Loyd (I'm sure-I've watched the game 6-7 times :D). On offense, particularly for the 10 minutes Stokes played and wasn't defended, ND had Huffman and Cable doubling and pestering Stewie non-stop. Didn't work- aside from the one charge Cable drew, that only resulted in better looks for Stewie's teammates. So even as physically limited as she was in the 2nd half, Stewie's mere presence caused ND huge problems they struggled to adjust to, all game long. And it cost them.

FACT: Stewie impacted the game for the full 40 minutes. Turner was invisible for the first 20 minutes. Whether you buy the excuse that her first half non-performance was the result of "nerves" or of a healthier Stewie (as I believe), the bottom line is that Stewie played hurt and played great, doing everything her team needed of her to win. Stewie took so few shots in the second half because of her hurting ankle and because her team needed her to defend and rebound and block shots and NOT because of Turner's defensive wizardry. Turner's inability to do anything in the first half put her team in a 10-point hole it could never get out of. Turner's first 20 minutes cost ND big time, maybe the game. Had Stewie likewise completely disappeared for 20 minutes, they would be celebrating still in South Bend.

FACT: You simply cannot say that Turner, who contributed only 20 productive 2nd half minutes for her team, no matter how effective, was the best frontcourt player that day. The game is 40 minutes, and what Turner was unable to do for her team in the first 20 minutes negated her excellent 2nd half. What I will grant the Turner crazies is that she had the best second half of any frontcourt player. But one half of great play does not a title get!

Last thing- Besides the off-balance foul line bank-shot chuck with the shot clock running out, Turner did not make or attempt a single shot from beyond 2 feet, literally. She only scored on put backs, and looking at replays of four of her other games, if she isn't scoring on fast break layups or 2 foot put backs, she isn't scoring. Talented but she has an incredibly limited offensive skill set. She has potential, but if she doesn't develop a shot, even just a 6-8 foot shot, she will never be great.

-Moriah was the player of the game. Period. And Turner was absolutely NOT the "frontcourt player of the game." That would be Stewie.

I usually agree with many of your posts here my friend but not this one as it relates to Stewie.

1--- Us husky fans more than anyone else recognize players that go for example 9-25 from the floor and wind up with 21 points - it's not that good at all. In this case you reference Stewie's rebounds - that she controlled the boards. I don't agree. She may have gotten 12 board but how many came after a 2nd or 3rd shot. Stewie and Tuck got annihilated on the glass. Turner was part of the frontline that annihilated them.

2--- While Turner was in no way player of the game - her defense on Stewie even in the 1st half deserves some praise. The game's best and greatest player - Stewie- didn't have an impact on offense even before the injury. Some 1sthalf credit has to go to Turner. Though ND's team defense and their knowledge of the UCONN offensive sets also had an impact. SO imo Turner was productive in some manner in the 1st half.

3--- I don't understand your point about a title. Even if you don't win a title you can outplay another player on the winning team. Not all 5 of the winning team necessarily outplay all of the other 5.

4-- Not that it matters much but I can remember one play Allen beat KML and dumped the ball to Turner. So it wasn't much of a putback. If Turners's game is that of putbacks and other close baskets and can outscore one of the greatest wcbb of all-time - kudos to her.

Reaction Score
How is that ridiculous? She had 14 points, 10 rebounds, shot 7-9 from the floor and defensively did an outstanding job on Stewart. On the season Stewart was obviously the superior player, but that game I'd argue Turner had the best showing of anyone besides Jefferson.
I thought Turner had a strong NC game.Offensive rebounding and finishing around the basket.Needs to work on her 12 to 15 ft.jumpshot and she runs the floor very well.Defensively she did a decent job with Stewie better than most of the others that tried this year.

Reaction Score
Powers needs to be more efficient. She took a ton of shots but made less than 40% of them and 30% on 3s. She's not a 2nd team AA.

UConnCat- - - -I agree with what you said with the Powers that was on the court this season but she was asked to do TOO MUCH by the coaches because of the freaky # of injuries MSU had! I think in a normal season playing within herself she will have monster #'s! She is a huge talent that can easily go 1st or 2nd team AA!

Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck will be a 1st team AA even with Stewie and MoJeff getting AA between AP/WBBCA/etc. She should make the 5 team AA with Stewie & MoJeff but talking suits aren't that bright! She'll make the 10 or 12 member AA teams!

Reaction Score
It is not necessary that Stewart have the leadership role in order for UConn to win. Tuck and/or Jefferson could also easily fill that role.
Next year MoJeff will be the leader of this team.She was this year after New Years with Morgan leading from the start.Morgan will continue to be a leader something that just seems to be natural for her!Stewie will be alittle more vocal but her actions will speak volumes!Kia Nurse will start leading this team and should make a huge jump in this aspect of her game!It will be her team in 2016 and she will take over for Mo and take Dangerfield under her wing just like Mo did for her!Like Stewie said Moriah was MOP of the NC game!IMO only player to play a complete game that night!Morgan should have been AA this past year so why not 3 first team AAs

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The fact of the matter is that voters won't choose 3 of the top 5 players from one team. But voters have chosen 3 of the top 10 players from one team at least 5 times, to my knowledge:

I think 3 Tennessee "Meeks" made it in the late 1990s.

Sue, Swin, and Diana in 2002.

Maya, Tina, and Renee in 2009.

Stewie, Stef, and Bria in 2014.

Stewie, Kaleena, and Moriah in 2015.

Reaction Score
I know Breanna wouldn't mention it, but didn't she hurt her ankle? She didn't have her usual lift after that.

Reaction Score
I didn't think that Turner did anything to convince me that she was better than Stewart. In that game. Stewart does so many things that don't show up in the box score. She was EASILy the best player on the court.
If not for Stewie's blocks, and rebounding that could have been a loss, the lack of anyone else rebounding gave Notre Dame second chance points.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Updated Predictions After 2015 Transferpalooza, a summer of USA Basketball, and some reevaluations:

1st Team:
Breanna Stewart, Sr, Connecticut-Stewart will be the heavy favorite to take home her third POY award and fourth championship. She is incredibly difficult to match up with, and will need to take a leadership role for UCONN to be successful next year.

Moriah Jefferson, Sr, Connecticut-I think Jefferson could give Stewart a run for her money in the POY competition next year. Jefferson is one of the quickest, smoothest, and best two way point guards in women's college basketball history. She can dominate a game defensively, and is ridiculously efficient. 59% FG, 50% 3pt, 84% FT, 3:1 A/To....and that's taking in her first 8-9 games which were nowhere close to being this good.

Brianna Turner, So, Notre Dame-This might be a bold prediction, but I think she will be the most improved player in women's basketball next year. I think her numbers soar as she'll get more minutes and take on a more prominent role without Loyd. She was arguably the best frontcourt player on the floor in the title game and has more untapped potential than anyone in women's basketball. She'll also be Notre Dame's go to next year without Loyd and Muffett is one of the nation's best at developing players.

A'ja Wilson, So, South Carolina-Another player who I think is primed for a breakout year. Wilson had a strong freshman campaign and an outstanding summer for USA Basketball. She will need to take on a more prominent role for USC to be a title contender next year. She has an ideal frame and skill set for a power forward. She rebounds well, can finish inside and has a mid range jumper. She has all the tools to be outstanding, and next year she might break out.

Kelsey Mitchell, So, Ohio State-Left her off 1st team the first time, but I think with Sierra Calhoun and others in the mix, Ohio State will be a better team and Mitchell will get more deserved recognition. She is one of the most talented scorers in the nation. She is on pace to break Stiles' scoring record, I think if Ohio State becomes one of the better teams in the Big Ten, she makes 1st team.

2nd Team:
Diamond DeShields, So, Tennessee-Moved her down from 1st team to 2nd, in part due to her off season injury and also due to Russell's emergence at the World University Games. I think DeShields is going to be outstanding at Tennessee. She was the National Freshman of the Year in an incredibly strong class, and is as physically gifted as anyone in the country. If she can get help from Russell and Graves, Tennessee should have their best shot in years to break the Final Four drought.

Tiffany Mitchell, Sr, South Carolina-Bumped her down to 2nd team since I think Wilson will take over as the go to player next year which could dip into Tiffany's numbers. Mitchell has had back to back outstanding seasons for South Carolina. She is the Gamecocks' only true perimeter threat who can beat you off the dribble and from the outside. An incredibly efficient guard in her own right, she'll need to have another strong year to bring South Carolina back to the Final Four.

Nina Davis, Jr, Baylor-Davis is one of the best rebounders and finishers in women's basketball. She has had back to back outstanding seasons, and should have the talent around her to lead Baylor into the Final Four this year. I'd look for her numbers to dip with the addition of Alexis Jones, but the improvement of Baylor as a team should give her more name recognition.

Imani McGee-Stafford, Sr, Texas-One of the more intriguing players in the nation. Moving her for 3rd team to 2nd might be a bold move, but physically she is a unique prospect at 6-7 and seemed to finally put the pieces together toward the end of last season. If she comes into this season 100% healthy and hungry, she'll be a very difficult match up and could challenge for Big 12 POY.

Morgan Tuck, Jr, Connecticut-Tuck might have the most polished offensive post game of any women's college basketball player. She also has a good midrange shot and can score from long range, making her an incredibly difficult match up. She is unexpectedly quick with her size and frame, and she finishes really well inside. She'll take on a bigger role next year with KML and Stokes gone, but as a result, she should garner more deserved recognition.

3rd Team:
Jillian Alleyne, Sr, Oregon-I have not seen much of Alleyne, but she has incredibly gaudy stats while playing in a decent conference. Unless Oregon significantly improves, I cannot see her garnering much national attention, but I know some think she has great upside at the next level with her ability to rebound the basketball.

Ruth Hamblin, Sr, Oregon State-I have not seen a ton of Hamblin, but she had a nice junior season as Oregon State had their best season in school history. If Oregon State has another terrific year, Hamblin could definitely be on more All-American teams next year.

Courtney Williams, Sr, Texas A&M-Texas A&M had an underwhelming year, but Williams is one of the best wings in the nation. She has an outstanding midrange game and is athleticism to blow by a defender.

Leticia Romero, Jr, Florida State-And outstanding passer and scorer, she is going to be a force in the ACC this year now that she has a 1/2 year under her belt at Florida State.

Alexis Jones, Jr, Baylor-We've only seen her play 1.5 seasons and she was superb at Duke. Coming out of HS, she was ranked above Loyd and just behind Stewart and Jefferson. She could easily be a 2nd or 3rd team All-American this year. Having her on the perimeter and Davis inside with Johnson running the point makes Baylor incredibly to match up with. I could see her replacing Nina Davis on one of the higher teams, as she'll surely get some touches this year that would normally go to Davis.

HM:
Alaina Coates, Jr, South Carolina-One of the best bigs in the nation. Coates can dominate inside and has potential to be a star if she demands more touches.

Mercedes Russell, So, Tennessee-Had a big tournament statistically this summer. I didn't get to see the games, but I'd look for Russell to make a major impact at UT this year. Could definitely make an AA team.

Courtney Williams, Sr, South Florida-One of the more underrated guards in the nation. She is a phenomenal athlete with a great midrange game.

Makayla Epps, Jr, Kentucky-A big guard who can light it up on a good night.

Lindsey Allen, Jr, Notre Dame-Much improved as an offensive threat as a sophomore, she'll need to take on a bigger role next year with Loyd gone.

Azura Stevens, So, Duke-Another outstanding freshman who could really light it up next year. A big forward with guard skills and finishes well inside. She has huge upside and could make a team next year.

Lili Thompson, Jr, Stanford-An athletic guard who can create her own shot. Had an up and down junior season, but will be Stanford's go to player next year.

Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Jr, Maryland-Very athletic guard who can score in a variety of ways. Should emerge as the go to player with Brown leaving.

Aerial Powers, Jr, Michigan State-Another outstanding player, but she plays on a poor team. Needs better team results to have a chance to make a top 3 team.

Mariya Moore, So, Louisville-She was one of the better freshmen in the country this season. Louisville has an incredible young core this year between her, Hines-Allen and Durr in the lineup.

Kelsey Plum, Jr, Washington-A great scoring guard. She'll need Washington to perform better to compete for an All-American slot, but a very talented guard.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
American citizenship is not a prerequisite, so Kia Nurse certainly deserves consideration at some level. No one can convince me that there are 15-20 NCAA D1 players that can outplay Kia (including a few she will scrimmage against daily at the Werth Champions Center in Storrs).

BuckLucas

Bucks Are The Crux
Reaction Score
Don't know what team Kelsey Mitchell should be on but I am pretty certain that Ohio State will be pretty competitive !!!! They have everyone back from an end of the year, good team

Reaction Score
How could Nurse not get at least HM in the above analysis. She put the Canadian National team on her back in the Pan Am games and scored 33 points! I am surprised about only one other poster mentioning her? Especially when someone brought up the incoming UCONN freshmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom