predict--uconn vs MSU | The Boneyard

predict--uconn vs MSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Heart says 88-85 win
head says 77-63

Is the head thinking win or lose?

I'm going into this game the same way as I did two years ago against Mich. State- thinking loss, but having little notion of what will happen.

I know there is no junior year Kemba on the team, but . . . .

Maybe Boatright kicks ass.

Maybe the blitz will have their homecoming.

Reaction Score
Ollie will prove to be the man for the job. I was all about Shaka. Keeping it internal will turn out to be the right move. Ollie is very easy to root for.

Reaction Score
Prediction is 72-66 with Michigan State winning. Huskies stay within single digit deficit a lot of the game and lead for a little bit, but can't quite get close enough at the end. What I want to happen is a 2nd half comeback victory with our relentless defense and fast break offense wearing them out. Two things that could affect the outcome of the game. How much does being in the hangar affect shooting? Uconn will rely on outside shots more than MS. How much more will the crowd be behind UConn. With the families of the 3 germans and the fact that we are undersized and the underdog, I'm guessing there will be more rooting for UConn than MS.

Reaction Score
If the MSU bigs are bad foul shooters we will have a chance. They are going to pound it inside on us and we will most like foul a lot. I'm sure that Wolf and Nolan will both foul out and Tyler will have 4 at the end of the game. We will pack it in and let them try and beat us from the outside, while hacking anything on the inside. The fear is the And Ones. If we can limited those and make the have to earn it at the stripe we will have a better chance. Obviously, we also have to make shots and have a high percentage of 3s. If we don't, it will be a long night.

UC 76
MSU 72

caw

Reaction Score
If the MSU bigs are bad foul shooters we will have a chance. They are going to pound it inside on us and we will most like foul a lot. I'm sure that Wolf and Nolan will both foul out and Tyler will have 4 at the end of the game. We will pack it in and let them try and beat us from the outside, while hacking anything on the inside. The fear is the And Ones. If we can limited those and make the have to earn it at the stripe we will have a better chance. Obviously, we also have to make shots and have a high percentage of 3s. If we don't, it will be a long night.

UC 76
MSU 72

Nix was at 58% last year, Gauna at 52%, Kearny 28%, Wetzel 50%, Trice 58%, Dawson 59%

Byrd, Appling were both about 80%, Payne at about 70%

Reaction Score
Mind = L

Is the head thinking win or lose?

I'm going into this game the same way as I did two years ago against Mich. State- thinking loss, but having little notion of what will happen.

I know there is no junior year Kemba on the team, but . . . .

Maybe Boatright kicks ass.

Maybe the blitz will have their homecoming.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I literally have no idea what to expect

we're venturing into uncharted waters, but I am happy and optimistic about our prospects.

I am concerned we may have a very big learning curve, hence my restraint

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Izzo brings an experienced and highly regarded team into the game, but he's probably not sure what to game plan for either. That and the fact that it's their first game too may help us a bit

I thought his game plan for us in the final four was perfect

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Not liking our chances, though I think they show us something to make us feel hope for the rest of the year's development.

MSU pulls away late 67-52.

Reaction Score
I cant think of a tougher game UConn had in a season opener, but i think its very possible that we could beat Michigan St. I just wish we played them a little further down the road. This is such a young team and this is Ollie's first game ever as head coach. It may take a few games for this team and coaching staff to get comfortable with each other. That would be asking a lot to expect a win tonight. Just thinking back to 2010-2011, they had a handful of games before they went to Maui. You can easily make the argument that if Wichita St was UConn's first game that year, they could have easily lost.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If UCONN can keep it to within 10, it will be very impressive. Keep it to within 15, that's ok. a loss of 20 points or more would not be a good sign. i'm going to say MSU by 14 at 73-58...

Reaction Score
my gut tells me we will win this. MSU is notorious for starting seasons slow.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If UCONN can keep it to within 10, it will be very impressive. Keep it to within 15, that's ok. a loss of 20 points or more would not be a good sign. i'm going to say MSU by 14 at 73-58...

Yes...this is about right. Single digit loss would be impressive from a team that lost so much talent and theoretically has little to play for. A win would be astonishing. But even a close loss, 2-4 points will send a loud and clear message that the boys from Storrs are not going away anytime soon. I think Ollie knows this and the kids will be playing for a lot of pride, but also loose due to low expectations.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score

Something here ain't right. :)

Reaction Score
Pretty much in agreement with the consensus. I think we keep it fairly close in the first half, maybe down 29-23 at halftime. Then they gradually pull away for a 66-53 final.

Other predictions of varying specificity:
- Defense is pretty solid, though we're frustratingly outrebounded
- Scoring continues to be a concern, especially DD, who only chips in 6 points and gives way to Giffey getting most of the minutes at the 3/4 in the second half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom