Posting this thread not expecting anyone to agree | The Boneyard

Posting this thread not expecting anyone to agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here it goes. I don't care really what all you negative nancy's want to say about this because I get it, I'm pissed too. Really pissed! We need to be good at football like yesterday for soo many reasons. Plus I'm sick of putting my all into supporting this team to watch what I just watched last night. But as much as I was screaming at the TV last night, pissing off my wife, practically waking up my kid, almost inducing a heart attack I came to a few realizations late last night (maybe 1am) when I was still trying to get to sleep after the loss. I came to the realization that:

1) HCBD hinted that this would be how the year would transpire. Hence why he practically held an extended summer training session through the first 3 games. He told us through the media subtly as to not hurt his players that they were far away from being a good team and that there was a great deal of concern in the offensive line. He also has maintained he is in it for the long haul, and the goal is progression even if that means failing a lot at first, but failing in productive ways (not dropping back into aerial attack mode when your first throw of the game is a sack strip because your line can't block) (I do think he should have attempted a few more, however his strategy of just staying close and playing conservative was working for him)

2) The line is VERY young and very green. It's almost
unprecedented how young and unexperienced this line is. Out of our top 8 offensive lineman they combine for 6 years of playing, not starting, playing experience coming into this year. For the 6 non seniors (Knappe, Rutherford, Crozier, Gifford, Levy, Samra) of the 8 you still have a combined 18 years (if you count this year) of time left to progress.

3) The only way to play most of that game especially with our deficiencies most notable our amazing ability to turn the ball over, was to play a conservative game. With the factors of the weather (monsoon), our 1st road game, our lack of depth (especially at QB), the very unfortunately poor field position we kept getting saddled with, the only option was to play conservatively. Im sure many of you wanted a aerial attack-passing game, but if we suffered another strip sack or pick 6 when we were trying to throw out of our end zone you would still have been pissed.

4) The kids never quit. Last year they might have. There haven't been any big blowups on the sidelines or guys getting really down on themselves. They still cheer a big hit and are excited to score. To me they still believe and are buying in.

5) Lets face it we are equally as bad as South Florida right now. I like to believe it's because we only 8 seniors who actually contribute to the game and only 11 juniors. (thats 19 on a 2 deep of 44) 3 points worse in bad field conditions I guess.

Call me an apologist or whatever you want (I'm sure they ever so funny Mrs. Diaco will come, oh ha ha). I bleedhuskyblue just like all of you. I'm so tired of watching this kind of football. But I'll be at Rentschler for the Temple game screaming my head off like I was for BYU and Boise St. hoping just hoping that I see maturity, functionality, growth. I still believe in HCBD because it is so early in his tenure and he was dealt a really tough hand to start with.

Reaction Score
All very valid points. But Diaco mentioned all the progress they had made and what a great week of practice they had. And then we witnessed that.....we are all hoping for progress but that was major step backwards last night. We understand the logical side of the argument but we are fans....fanatics....and so we vent

Reaction Score
All very valid points. But Diaco mentioned all the progress they had made and what a great week of practice they had. And then we witnessed that.....we are all hoping for progress but that was major step backwards last night. We understand the logical side of the argument but we are fans....fanatics....and so we vent

I hear ya man, I just also think that what we hear in the media is not necessarily what the coaches are talking about behind closed doors. It's hard to be too critical in a public forum about 18 and 19 year olds who will be sensitive to the negative publicity. As well, you want to be seen in a positive light for your kids. Saying things like we are progressing doesn't mean they are anywhere where they need to be.

Reaction Score
Skiblets said:

And Diaco said he was basically dumbing down blocking schemes (and I got reamed out for commenting that there was nothing positive to take from his statement). My concern is whether he actually follows through with what he says.

I am giving him a pretty long leash because he is a rookie head coach, and can learn from mistakes, but so far, the results have not been good, and I am not talking about wins and losses.

Only the most optimistic fans though this was a bowl team. Many of us just wanted to see week to week improvement. What I have seen on offense is a unit devoid of discipline that rarely shows passion or aggression. That is a reflection of the coaching. Tommy Myers had a false start in a critical down (by the way, I think Myers is going to develop into a solid blocker). Diaco takes him out, and appears to start getting on him, but then switches course to the ref!!! Myers was more upset than the coach. And Diaco puts him in the very next play!!!!!! That is quite the coaching lesson.

This defense plays tough despite constantly being put in horrid situations. The only player who has regressed is Obi. Even Graham Stewart, who I have been critical of appears to be improving.

Reaction Score
And Diaco said he was basically dumbing down blocking schemes (and I got reamed out for commenting that there was nothing positive to take from his statement). My concern is whether he actually follows through with what he says.

I am giving him a pretty long leash because he is a rookie head coach, and can learn from mistakes, but so far, the results have not been good, and I am not talking about wins and losses.

Only the most optimistic fans though this was a bowl team. Many of us just wanted to see week to week improvement. What I have seen on offense is a unit devoid of discipline that rarely shows passion or aggression. That is a reflection of the coaching. Tommy Myers had a false start in a critical down (by the way, I think Myers is going to develop into a solid blocker). Diaco takes him out, and appears to start getting on him, but then switches course to the ref!!! Myers was more upset than the coach. And Diaco puts him in the very next play!!!!!! That is quite the coaching lesson.

This defense plays tough despite constantly being put in horrid situations. The only player who has regressed is Obi. Even Graham Stewart, who I have been critical of appears to be improving.

This was very peculiar and I questioned it too. I wrote in another thread that it is so peculiar that it makes you wonder if something else was going on. I speculated and could be totally off but because there were so many false starts on plays that we seemed to be going on a 1 count, I wonder if the defense was simulating the snap count, which is illegal, hence why Diaco went off on the ref.

Reaction Score

Also, not sure what he is suppose to do there. tommy myers is his 2nd best TE. Bloom seems like a good passing option at this point but he wanted his blocking TE in the game. Losing guys like Norris and Thompson has set us back in terms of options.

Reaction Score
Also, not sure what he is suppose to do there. tommy myers is his 2nd best TE. Bloom seems like a good passing option at this point but he wanted his blocking TE in the game. Losing guys like Norris and Thompson has set us back in terms of options.

You put in Alec Bloom.

Reaction Score
It's one thing to accept poor play when the coaches put the players in situations to do well and they don't execute.

However, I think what a lot of people are passed about is the coaches didn't even give the players a chance. I understand the strategy at first, but when it's halfway thru the 3RD quarter and all your drives have gone 3 and out, it was time to roll the dice a little bit and they didn't.

APA

Reaction Score
Here it goes. I don't care really what all you negative nancy's want to say about this because I get it, I'm pissed too. Really pissed! We need to be good at football like yesterday for soo many reasons. Plus I'm sick of putting my all into supporting this team to watch what I just watched last night. But as much as I was screaming at the TV last night, pissing off my wife, practically waking up my kid, almost inducing a heart attack I came to a few realizations late last night (maybe 1am) when I was still trying to get to sleep after the loss. I came to the realization that:

1) HCBD hinted that this would be how the year would transpire. Hence why he practically held an extended summer training session through the first 3 games. He told us through the media subtly as to not hurt his players that they were far away from being a good team and that there was a great deal of concern in the offensive line. He also has maintained he is in it for the long haul, and the goal is progression even if that means failing a lot at first, but failing in productive ways (not dropping back into aerial attack mode when your first throw of the game is a sack strip because your line can't block) (I do think he should have attempted a few more, however his strategy of just staying close and playing conservative was working for him)

unprecedented how young and unexperienced this line is. Out of our top 8 offensive lineman they combine for 6 years of playing, not starting, playing experience coming into this year. For the 6 non seniors (Knappe, Rutherford, Crozier, Gifford, Levy, Samra) of the 8 you still have a combined 18 years (if you count this year) of time left to progress.

3) The only way to play most of that game especially with our deficiencies most notable our amazing ability to turn the ball over, was to play a conservative game. With the factors of the weather (monsoon), our 1st road game, our lack of depth (especially at QB), the very unfortunately poor field position we kept getting saddled with, the only option was to play conservatively. Im sure many of you wanted a aerial attack-passing game, but if we suffered another strip sack or pick 6 when we were trying to throw out of our end zone you would still have been pissed.

4) The kids never quit. Last year they might have. There haven't been any big blowups on the sidelines or guys getting really down on themselves. They still cheer a big hit and are excited to score. To me they still believe and are buying in.

5) Lets face it we are equally as bad as South Florida right now. I like to believe it's because we only 8 seniors who actually contribute to the game and only 11 juniors. (thats 19 on a 2 deep of 44) 3 points worse in bad field conditions I guess.

Call me an apologist or whatever you want (I'm sure they ever so funny Mrs. Diaco will come, oh ha ha). I bleedhuskyblue just like all of you. I'm so tired of watching this kind of football. But I'll be at Rentschler for the Temple game screaming my head off like I was for BYU and Boise St. hoping just hoping that I see maturity, functionality, growth. I still believe in HCBD because it is so early in his tenure and he was dealt a really tough hand to start with.
The line is not all that young. They start 2 seniors, 3 juniors (including TE) and one soph.

Reaction Score
The line is not all that young. They start 2 seniors, 3 juniors (including TE) and one soph.

It's not about age, it's about experience, which most of the OL has very little of.

Reaction Score
It's one thing to accept poor play when the coaches put the players in situations to do well and they don't execute.

However, I think what a lot of people are passed about is the coaches didn't even give the players a chance. I understand the strategy at first, but when it's halfway thru the 3RD quarter and all your drives have gone 3 and out, it was time to roll the dice a little bit and they didn't.
That's exactly it. At the half I felt ok about where we were. Was confident that we'd come out and open it up a little. Instead I saw the same 3-4 plays over and over but with different backs.

Reaction Score

Nice write up. It's actaully therapeutic for me. Haha.
I'm used to winning at everything. In one way or another. If something isnt going right I can take control and fix it. Always.
In this instance I feel like I can't do anything to fix it. And we all see areas that could help. But it's like the coaches don't see it. Frustrating to say te least

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's exactly it. At the half I felt ok about where we were. Was confident that we'd come out and open it up a little. Instead I saw the same 3-4 plays over and over but with different backs.
We won the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
My take is that any realization that our coaches had about personnel not matching up to the system they wanted to install is late in coming. That when you have a losing team you might not want to install the full system of winning teams you may have coached that have different skills and talent. It's one thing to play a better opponent and getting beat, but the object is to play positively on offense and not make constant mistakes and missed assignments.

The other side is that our biggest issue is the offensive line and overall blocking assignments and the tipping point between being able to function or not is usually marginal. 5 or 6 plays a game in terms of assignments and maybe 1 extra second of time for your QB makes a huge difference. When you reach that tipping point things begin to look better and plays start to get made. But you have to school the guys correctly and play to your strengths. Getting your skill players the ball by calling the right plays from the right formations is crucial. Allowing the QB to see the field or move away from pressure and get the ball away quickly. Work fast until the line shows it can protect longer and expand the playbook.

We went from too ambitious to completely shell-shocked. Hopefully most of the shuffling and personnel evaluation is done and the coaches can get on with running an offense appropriate for UConn's limitations and strengths. We all want them to succeed but right now we've fallen behind in that process and they've admitted they miscalculated by their words and actions. Pointing out specific issues and solutions is the logical next step and has nothing to do with being negative. Negative is the philosophy and performance we saw last night.

Reaction Score

Come on man. First of lets not include TE's in our line come on. And the TE you are including is a passing receiving option in McQuillan who doesn't weigh 245 soaking wet. One of this Seniors in Cruz has about a year of experience, since he missed much of last year with the heart ailment. The starting OLine when healthy is:

Levy (RSo). maybe a game or two's worth of experience coming into this year. (0)

Samra (Jr.) about a year's worth maybe a little more (Hardly counting when he got into 5 games in spot duty his true freshman year) (1)

Mateas (RSR.) Didn't play at Penn State. Has 2 years experience only 1 starting. (2)

Cruz (RSR.) Missed half of last year with his injury. Has about a year and a half of playing time. (split some time as a sophomore with a shuffle of him, Mateas, and Bullock at guard and Center) (1.5)

Knappe (RSO.) No playing experience at Oline. (0)

Subs

Gifford (RJR.)- Maybe a year of experience, mostly in back up roles. (1)

Crozier (FR.)- No experience (0)

Rutherford (FR.) No experience (0)

Not young and inexperienced???????????????

Last edited:

APA

Reaction Score
Come on man. First of lets not include TE's in our line come on. And the TE you are including is a passing receiving option in McQuillan who doesn't weigh 245 soaking wet. One of this Seniors in Cruz has about a year of experience, since he missed much of last year with the heart ailment. The starting OLine when healthy is:

Levy (RSo). maybe a game or two's worth of experience coming into this year. (0)

Samra (Jr.) about a year's worth maybe a little more (Hardly counting when he got into 5 games in spot duty) (1)

Mateas (RSR.) Didn't play at Penn State. Has 2 years experience only 1 starting. (2)

Cruz (RSR.) Missed half of last year with his injury. Has about a year and a half of playing time. (split some time as a sophomore with a shuffle of him, Mateas, and Bullock at guard and Center) (1.5)

Subs

Of course TE counts. He was blocking on pretty much every play last night. They sure weren't throwing to him.

APA

Reaction Score

Samra (Jr.) about a year's worth maybe a little more (Hardly counting when he got into 5 games in spot duty) (1)

Subs

Of course TE counts. He was blocking on pretty much every play last night. They sure weren't throwing to him.

Reaction Score

Ok so thats all.....thats what you took from that.....what about my question: Not young and inexperienced?.. And If you count McQuillan he didn't play at all either of his first two years......So your RJR. pass receiving TE has 1 year of experience to add to that oline that is so young and green...

Edit: check that....he was hurt the last 3 games of the year.......Make that 9 games of experience

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am just tired of seeing the opposing teams CBs come in from the end untouched. That's what caused the first turnover, CW getting blindsided and absolutely drilled. Completely unacceptable.

I also have a nagging fear that been hanging around since after the Spring game, that HCBD is more about justifying our failures than about finding ways to win. Yeah, he inherited a shytbox, I get it. I just don't need to hear about it consistently. Don't justify your freaking losses, coach just find a damn way to win.

Sorry if this post is uncharacteristically negative. I usually give myself more time after a game before posting. Last night was very disappointing and I have a hard time seeing how it helped in the team's development.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything that kcc1442 had to say. Diaco played to win by doing everything he could do to prevent another disaster in the passing game as we were consistently backed up. The strategy worked well when Jones had the pick six and pulled us within another screw up (against a team capable of screwing up) of tying the game. Unfortunately we never had decent field position. Their punter was clearly the MVP.

I really appreciate the passion you all have on this board. I do think better days are ahead and when they get here, they will be all the sweeter. We have the right coach and a great university. In my lifetime CT has taken it on the chin in a number of important ways (jobs, population, taxes, etc...) but our national championships and domination of the Big East are a source of great pride. It will be great to settle some scores once this gets fixed and get back to domination.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything that kcc1442 had to say. Diaco played to win by doing everything he could do to prevent another disaster in the passing game as we were consistently backed up. The strategy worked well when Jones had the pick six and pulled us within another screw up (against a team capable of screwing up) of tying the game. Unfortunately we never had decent field position. Their punter was clearly the MVP.

I get your sentiment and maybe it could have been stated a little better, but using the pick-6 as justification for the gameplan? That's how you expect to compete and win a game by scoring just 7 points on a lucky turnover and then stepping on the gas pedal on the last possession down 10? I could almost agree that the offensive protection is so atrocious he wanted to save Chandler from a possible career ending injury. If not that you're behind and need to do something positive to go for the win. We didn't do that.

Reaction Score
I get your sentiment and maybe it could have been stated a little better, but using the pick-6 as justification for the gameplan? That's how you expect to compete and win a game by scoring just 7 points on a lucky turnover and then stepping on the gas pedal on the last possession down 10? I could almost agree that the offensive protection is so atrocious he wanted to save Chandler from a possible career ending injury. If not that you're behind and need to do something positive to go for the win. We didn't do that.

Its not necessarily relying on a pick 6 later.......It's weighing the odds of 1) either passing the ball all over a soaked wet field with a second string QB and porous, pardon the pun, offensive line, from terrible field position, to 2) trying to run the ball (which is a lot less risky for this oline) and if need be playing the punt and field position game, and hoping for 1 of 40 things that could happen to their team to change field position or change the game...such as a fumble or muffed punt, multiple holding penalties, a fumbled snap in wet weather, A slip in the back field, another dropped pass into our arms, any type of interception, a shanked punt, an average punt with a 15 yard penalty, out kicking their punt coverage or a low line drive punt and a long Foxx return.......Its called playing the odds.......Not which one had better odds???? who knows.....but if anything it was awfully close to 50/50 and he chose #2.........Good for him...He went with his gut, it didn't work he went to the pass late and it wasn't enough.....But the going to the pass late was NOT an indication of what could have been all game, lets not pretend that USF wasn't in full prevent mode allowing much of what we got to happen...

Reaction Score
Nice write up. It's actaully therapeutic for me. Haha.
I'm used to winning at everything.

you'll be winning when you trot out nekkid next Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom