• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Tramel has his own agenda… I’ve mentioned it before but he’s is not a UConn Football fan.
Exactly Medic, why TF does this Midwestern nobody have that strong an opinion on Uconn and why should he care? He's shown as much disdain for Uconn FB as Wetzel, that Calipari lapdog, did for Uconn hoops while he was writing articles to bury Calhoun and ban his team.

I think Tramel goes back to Big East FB and the BCS bids for an 8 team league. And Uconn stealing a bid in his mind and them getting to the Fiesta bowl vs. his beloved OK. Probably hates on Uconn hoops like alot them too, but he knows he's got nothin ! So he spins what he can on the low lying fruit....but Jim Mora, you got that !

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Fair enough, but having a college football stadium 25 miles off-campus gives him a talking point that he would not otherwise have.

Well, that's not changing anytime soon

So there's that too :)

PS: I personally don't think attendance improves with a stadium closer to campus. It's not like we have 80,000 students in what would become like the largest city in the State. Willimantic and the quite corner are not filling the house.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
PS: I personally don't think attendance improves with a stadium closer to campus. It's not like we have 80,000 students in what would become like the largest city in the State. Willimantic and the quiet corner are not filling the house.
What I take away from this is that you want to build an 80,000 person stadium in Storrs. Seems a bit like overkill to me, but I like the way you think!

Reaction Score
Well, that's not changing anytime soon

So there's that too :)

PS: I personally don't think attendance improves with a stadium closer to campus. It's not like we have 80,000 students in what would become like the largest city in the State. Willimantic and the quite corner are not filling the house.
I would guarantee you a huge increase in student attendance if there was a football stadium

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

A lot to unpack here.

1) This may be bad reporting, although Canzano is legit out west.

2) A lot of the reporting claiming that Colorado's departure to the Big 12 was imminent will turn out to have been spectacularly wrong if this report is true.

3) The Pac 12 may have pulled off one of the all time negotiating coups. They pointed a gun at their own head, threatened to shoot, and got what they wanted. There wouldn't be a GOR getting signed unless there was a media partner behind it. It is worth noting that ESPN has settled down with its "Pac 12 will not get a contract" reporting in the last week or two, which may mean they know the Pac 12 is about to sign with someone else and ESPN doesn't want to look stupider than they already look. We will find out soon.

If Apple or Amazon are about to enter the arena, the game will have changed dramatically.

4) If 1, 2 and 3 above all happen, UConn may want to tap the brakes on joining the Big 12. If Apple and/or Amazon are in the mix, then the Big East is going to get paid. It also means that the ACC is going to be even more desperate than ever to figure out how to get out of that long-term TV contract they signed. Maybe UConn or the Big East could figure into that solution.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I would guarantee you a huge increase in student attendance if there was a football stadium

I concur, maybe like 4,000 to 8,000, 10,000 tops

Reaction Score
A lot to unpack here.

2) A lot of the reporting claiming that Colorado's departure to the Big 12 was imminent will turn out to have been spectacularly wrong if this report is true.

3) The Pac 12 may have pulled off one of the all time negotiating coups. They pointed a gun at their own head, threatened to shoot, and got what they wanted. There wouldn't be a GOR getting signed unless there was a media partner behind it. It is worth noting that ESPN has settled down with its "Pac 12 will not get a contract" reporting in the last week or two, which may mean they know the Pac 12 is about to sign with someone else and ESPN doesn't want to look stupider than they already look. We will find out soon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Wilner retweeted the story, and he is definitely legit out west.

The Big 12 fans on Twitter are losing their spit. Either the Pac 12 has played the Big 12 like a drum, or Canzano and Wilner are out for some early afternoon trolling on a slow news day.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They aren't going to add any basketball only schools. I don't know who started that but it was never realistic.
If Yormacks goal comes true, and they actually get a separate deal for BB, it could happen.
The traditional all in media deal won’t work because of the value disparity.
I’m not saying it will or won’t, but for the first time BB isn’t relegated to the trunk. It might not be the driver, but at least it has a seat in the car.

I think the easy money is UConn and Rule # 1. But UConn seems awfully quiet. It’s either confidence in the process and what’s been discussed, or there is nothing to be said because they are on the outside looking in again.

Hope it’s soon. This back and forth, in and out, nope back in, nope now they’re out is getting old. And work productivity isn’t thriving either
There are two possibilities. Yormack is just posturing with an over the top idea. Or there is an agenda to take the value that college bb has in it's best programs and divide it up among a smaller share of schools. If it is the latter I don't believe Yormack is pushing the concept without Fox backing the play. It will be interesting to see if basketball consolidates and becomes exclusive in a manner similar to the way football has alway been and the NCAA tournament ends up like the NIT.

Reaction Score

I guess, but the Trammel article specifically talked about our stadium being off campus as one of the negatives about us as a conference realignment target.

You can't spend your life worrying about correcting every stupid criticism someone makes about you. If you do, you spend your whole life reacting to meaningless statements and those who want to criticize will find some other stupid thing to criticize you for anyway. All you can do is correct your meaningful flaws and worry less about what those who don't like you say.

We need to worry about winning football games and putting fannies in the seats. Those are the good reasons why people aren't taking our football program seriously.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

An actual reporter runs a story and the most respected college sports reporter west of the Rockies retweets it. Or we can believe butthurt Big 12 fans who don't like the story. We will know soon enough who is right.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The most laughable thing I've seen recently is talk of the Big 10 considering adding that prestigious academic institution, Miami.....
Are you being serious here? This is where local biases come in, because it is, indeed, a prestigious academic institution. They won't get an invite, but that isn't the reason why.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are two possibilities. Yormack is just posturing with an over the top idea. Or there is an agenda to take the value that college bb has in it's best programs and divide it up among a smaller share of schools. If it is the latter I don't believe Yormack is pushing the concept without Fox backing the play. It will be interesting to see if basketball consolidates and becomes exclusive in a manner similar to the way football has alway been and the NCAA tournament ends up like the NIT.

Or, the Big 12 Presidents have realized in the last few days that no Pac 12 schools were coming, as Canzano appears to be reporting, and have started talking up UConn again.

Reaction Score
The more schools you add to a conference, the more diluted it gets. Last few years has been peak Big 12, I don’t think it’ll get better than that.
So you don't think adding UConn, Arizona, Colorado and SDSU elevates Big 12 Hoops? If you have "Hoops" in your handle you're going to have to talk things over with the guy in the mirror.

Reaction Score
An actual reporter runs a story and the most respected college sports reporter west of the Rockies retweets it. Or we can believe butthurt Big 12 fans who don't like the story. We will know soon enough who is right.
Sure… but they aren’t gonna sign the GOR if the Media deal is crap. Stop stalling and release the details of the tv/streaming deal.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
A lot to unpack here.

If Apple or Amazon are about to enter the arena, the game will have changed dramatically.

4) If 1, 2 and 3 above all happen, UConn may want to tap the brakes on joining the Big 12. If Apple and/or Amazon are in the mix, then the Big East is going to get paid. It also means that the ACC is going to be even more desperate than ever to figure out how to get out of that long-term TV contract they signed. Maybe UConn or the Big East could figure into that solution.
So our way to the big bucks is to wait it out and count on the power of those Seton Hall and Depaul brands. Fantastic.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Are you being serious here? This is where local biases come in, because it is, indeed, a prestigious academic institution. They won't get an invite, but that isn't the reason why.

Miami is mostly a school for rich kids with big blow budgets. The academic reputation comes from the fact that the school's acceptance rate is low, implying selectively, when it is really just low because a lot of rich kids want to party in Miami for 4 years, and there is only so much space in the dorms.

Reaction Score

As someone who hasn't and doesn't expect a Big XII invite, given the departure of USC and UCLA it makes little sense to me that the Pac schools would actually sign a GOR without having a TV deal to sign at the same time. Why would the Four Corners schools, if they have an offer from the Big XII, lock themselves up such that even if no one will buy the Pac rights for a decent price they can't move?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sure… but they aren’t gonna sign the GOR if the Media deal is crap. Stop stalling and release the details of the tv/streaming deal.

Three reporters running the same story within half an hour. Either the Pac 12 already has the deal, or they are publicly meeting one of the closing conditions that the media partner has demanded for an agreement. It is highly likely we are much closer to the end of the media negotiation process for the Pac 12 than to the beginning.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A lot to unpack here.

There’s no story there.

The GOR framework is always in place before the media rights deal is signed.

If the schools do not like the media deal, the GOR Is not going to be signed.

Reaction Score
I still think Colorado and AZ are ready to bolt absent a great deal that hasn't gone public.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As someone who hasn't and doesn't expect a Big XII invite, given the departure of USC and UCLA it makes little sense to me that the Pac schools would actually sign a GOR without having a TV deal to sign at the same time. Why would the Four Corners schools, if they have an offer from the Big XII, lock themselves up such that even if no one will buy the Pac rights for a decent price they can't move?

Why would the Pac 12 schools publicly agree to a GOR for a media deal if there was no media deal imminent? It is not a rhetorical question. I can't come up with a single reason to do that, because the language of the GOR is going to be dependent on the media rights deal.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
If the PAC schools stay put, who would the Big 12 go after in addition to Uconn? Potentially?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There’s no story there.

The GOR framework is always in place before the media rights deal is signed.

If the schools do not like the media deal, the GOR Is not going to be signed.

The GOR framework is never in place until right before the media rights deal is signed.

No spit that the GOR won't be signed if there is no media rights deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom