• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
If Yormacks goal comes true, and they actually get a separate deal for BB, it could happen.
The traditional all in media deal won’t work because of the value disparity.
I’m not saying it will or won’t, but for the first time BB isn’t relegated to the trunk. It might not be the driver, but at least it has a seat in the car.

I think the easy money is UConn and Rule # 1. But UConn seems awfully quiet. It’s either confidence in the process and what’s been discussed, or there is nothing to be said because they are on the outside looking in again.

Hope it’s soon. This back and forth, in and out, nope back in, nope now they’re out is getting old. And work productivity isn’t thriving either

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I haven't lost any objectivity, just look through all of my posts on this subject.

My comment was due to the fact that in this day and age, anyone can get on social media and make a ridiculous comment (such as the one I disparaged) and then someone runs with it as if it was a well sourced fact. Hurley signed on when geographically our conference was very similar to what the B-12 will be and the level of competition was three or four levels below.

In all candor we'll lose Hurley due to the financial restraints we'll face if we remain in the BE before we lose him due to the geography of the B-12.

I don't believe we lose Hurley at all. He's already one of the highest paid coaches, along with Geno, and we'll continue to keep him one of the highest paid coaches. Hurley is just outside top 25, and that was his first contract with us and before his national title. Only Squid's salary is off the charts at UK. Hurley will move into the top tier with his next salary, because financially the school cannot afford to lose him. Like Calhoun used to, he's generating revenues

Jim Mora is another story. If he succeeds here, he can be offered money that we can't match as an independent

I think the losing our basketball coach argument is a red herring

PC was paying Ed Cooley number 16 money, no joke

Reaction Score
But UConn seems awfully quiet. It’s either confidence in the process and what’s been discussed, or there is nothing to be said because they are on the outside looking in again.

UConn is not that quiet. There was Mora’s tweet, the tweet about the facilities, and the retweets about being only one of ?10? Teams in post season for the 3 major sports.

when we lost out on the ACC, we started celebrating on the 10 yard line. Now I hope we are going to punch it in and go for 2.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The more schools you add to a conference, the more diluted it gets. Last few years has been peak Big 12, I don’t think it’ll get better than that.

Reaction Score
View attachment 88743

You could spin those same facts an alternative way. The state should commitment to football by building a 40,000 seat stadium. Despite not being a part of the P5 UConn has shown its commitment to athletics by maintaining a P5 level office spending and it's athletic department.

In any event anyone who thinks having a stadium 25 minutes off-campus doesn't hurt us should rethink that opinion.
IMO building the Rent in East Hartford was the single biggest mistake UConn (or rather the state) has made in its pursuit of a credible D1 football program.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
IMO building the Rent in East Hartford was the single biggest mistake UConn (or rather the state) has made in its pursuit of a credible D1 football program.

Staying in a southern mid-major league as long as UConn did was by far the biggest mistake UConn has ever made, and nothing else is close.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A very good player just decommitted from a Big 10 school because he wanted a better NIL package and we landed him. This is why I think the concerns about us not being able to compete long-term if we don't join a P5 conference are a bit blown out of proportion.

I was going to write the above post in jest as if a grad transfer in basketball will affect university president decisions but, what the heck, you beat me to it.

Reaction Score
Staying in a southern mid-major league as long as UConn did was by far the biggest mistake UConn has ever made, and nothing else is close.
Add to that 3 consecutive bad HC hires and CANCELLING an entire season. We have Bingo!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The more schools you add to a conference, the more diluted it gets. Last few years has been peak Big 12, I don’t think it’ll get better than that.
If UConn and Arizona are 2 of 4, it might.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You’re comparing lowly Rutgers vs. reigning national champion UConn in 2023 and using it as anecdotal evidence that our ability to compete long term in blown out of proportion. This decision is not based on a recruiting battle in 2023, it’s a twenty plus year decision.

All I've been hearing for the last twelve years is that we don't make enough money to compete with schools in the P5. Twelve years, and yet we're still having great recruiting success, haven't heard a peep about our head coach that just won a national title leaving for a "bigger" school, our conference mates are paying their head coaches big money and having huge success with NIL attracting recruits (look at what Villanova has accomplished the last 2 months). So yes, I absolutely believe this issue is overblown and we will be able to compete long-term.

As long as the NCAA tournament or whatever iteration of it is here in the future is highly valued by the public, UConn won't have any trouble competing.

Reaction Score
AZ and ... AZ St. if the Big 12 feels forced in some way. They don't really need 2 teams in a market with the exception being huge markets like Texas, FL, CA that can still generate added value.
AZ and AZ St. is a fantastic rivalry that is worth money to any conference. They should be together.

Also, Phoenix and Tucson are seperate markets and there is value in both.

AZ St. should be ahead of Utah in the pecking order. We should be ahead of Utah as well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A very good player just decommitted from a Big 10 school because he wanted a better NIL package and we landed him. This is why I think the concerns about us not being able to compete long-term if we don't join a P5 conference are a bit blown out of proportion.
Did he say it was all about money and not about wanting to go deep in March? I never saw that if he did.

Reaction Score
Hold on. It wasn’t great. But that venue is not a minus. Ignore the media. It’s a non factor for visitors. For UConn students and the pageantry? It isn’t ideal.

Reaction Score
Yes, that was a big mistake overall, but not for football specifcally. If we had built the stadium on campus, we would have gotten a better look from the other conferences during the previous shuffles.

Reaction Score
Add to that 3 consecutive bad HC hires and CANCELLING an entire season. We have Bingo!!
Problem is HC mistakes can be fixed, and looks like we may have this time (at least for the time being). Not as easy to rebuild a multi million dollar stadium.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Hmmm...
19760F9D-3801-42C5-A6B4-6BF4AE656F61.jpeg

AFFE03DA-52DF-443A-9D77-551D04DADACB.jpeg

Third worst?

CL82

Reaction Score
All I've been hearing for the last twelve years is that we don't make enough money to compete with schools in the P5. Twelve years, and yet we're still having great recruiting success, haven't heard a peep about our head coach that just won a national title leaving for a "bigger" school, our conference mates are paying their head coaches big money and having huge success with NIL attracting recruits (look at what Villanova has accomplished the last 2 months). So yes, I absolutely believe this issue is overblown and we will be able to compete long-term.

As long as the NCAA tournament or whatever iteration of it is here in the future is highly valued by the public, UConn won't have any trouble competing.
And yet we ran a $53 million deficit last season. An architect designed plans for a revamped Gampel but our athletic Director came out and said we can't afford it. We just built a 1500 seat hockey arena, well below the minimum standard in Hockey East because we couldn't afford 3500 seats. Our football team can't keep a normal number of non-scholarship players because we can't afford it. We are cutting our Olympic sports, because we can't afford it.

This Is Fine GIF

Reaction Score
I do not care about a single team in the big12. Don't know how anyone on this board can make the argument strictly as a fan. It all comes down to some bs misguided notion that we need to jump to "stay competitive." Apparently it bears repeating: we're currently in the best basketball conference in the country, have one of the best coaches in the country and will not have trouble attracting top recruits
I don't know how anyone can make the argument you're making.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Problem for who? You only care about basketball. Seems like basketball is in a good spot!

Reaction Score
UConn, Gonzaga, Houston. That would be stealing the best basketball programs from three other conferences to add to Kansas. It's a murderers row.

Throw in Baylor, Cinny, West Virginia, Iowa State (maybe BYU). It's very deep. Perhaps the best basketball conference in the country. Certainly more quality than the BE. If you're a recruit don't you want to play against the best.

Reaction Score
Like I said, HC can be fixed, not so easy moving a stadium. The Rent in East Hartford is the mistake that keeps on giving and therefore the mistake with the most impact.
You can keep saying it, and the board can keep arguing whether or not UConn made the right move by doing it for another 20 years. But the thought that another school gives a crap, as if it effects their players, donors or pocketbook, is just dumb. If we join the Big XII and one day are trying to recruit Miami when the ACC implodes, you really think you would be influenced to vote no because their football games aren't played in Coral Gables?

CL82

Reaction Score
I thought about that. FUCHCRE1 had a bad exit for us, but he did a nice job of helping us transition to FBS football. (You may not realize this but we used to be in trailers.) FUCHCRE2 was it a sh.itshow, but at that point we were already down so low that I don't credit him with taking a lower. He just didn't help us at all. Reasonable people can disagree on that though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom