• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Explain to me why someone would pay $35,000,000 for something they have for $5,000,000? That jump doesn't make any rational sense. Wish in one hand, poop in the other, etc.

This is also the crux of FSU's/the ACC's issue with ESPN, btw.
I posted the reason’s yesterday
First of all Fox pays $20,000,00 not $32,000,00
Second that could recoup the whole amount or more by giving the B1G East a haircut on the new deal without UConn and be totally justified. Fox is more concerned with Big East without UConn as an investment than the $$$.
Third UConn Basketball both men and women’s will have significantly higher ratings vs B12 teams eyeballs means $$$. That’s just a fact those teams have bigger bases.
B12 football gets exposure into an entirely new and huge market with great potential . That could be enormous.
$20,000,000 is Chump change which will cost them nothing and potentially make them more solvent
UConn should have hired a good consultant firm if there are still any out there . I think they’re an easy sell from a “longer term” perspective with zero up front cost and little down side risk except to Foxes Big East property. Our problem is conference divisions have be all short term

Reaction Score
We should take it if the offer comes. We would be a member of by far the best basketball conference in the country and football would probably have a scheduling arrangement with them as well. Then we can spank them in football, build rapport within the conference, and likely get an invite sometime down the road. It's a better option than sitting around and doing nothing. We need to be proactive and get our foot in the door of the Big 12.
Besides the state flagships (and the money), there is nothing that really excites me about being in the Big 12. In MBB, the top teams in the Big East are comparable to the top teams in the Big 12 - for now. Our other sports teams can still thrive with our current situation in the very near term (i.e., more brand building opportunities in football vs. the likes of Cal, Stanford, dominating the Big East in multiple sports, etc.)

If football continues to rewrite the narrative under Mora, we WILL get to the promised land sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Besides the state flagships (and the money), there is nothing that really excites me about being in the Big 12. In MBB, the top teams in the Big East are comparable to the top teams in the Big 12 - for now. Our other sports teams can still thrive with our current situation in the very near term (i.e., more brand building opportunities in football vs. the likes of Cal, Stanford, dominating the Big East in multiple sports, etc.)

If football continues to rewrite the narrative under Mora, we WILL get to the promised land sooner rather than later.
It's already later.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
the trophys are great but you can't win a trophy if they don't let you play.

at that point at least college sports will be so terrible it's not worth watching anyway
Really I just thinking about 2024 and maybe a couple years beyond. After that who knows- split could be in.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Can everyone please all stop with this ridiculous idea and stop giving it any legs. We better not ever even consider this option.
Your view is short-sighted. If they offer us Big XII membership for everything but football, with guaranteed number of Big XII football games each year, and a path to full membership, we take it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why is it ridiculous? Our last chance probably ever to join a power conference will come when the ACC gets raided. If we were a Big 12 basketball member + football partner by the time that happens we would definitely have the upper hand over these ACC schools because we will have an existing relationship with the Big 12 already. If the basketball program remained elite in the Big 12 and we continued to build a good football program under Mora with some wins over Big 12 schools under our belt, then I definitely think we would get added by them eventually.
That Guy,

Do you attend football games? If not, I have two tickets for you for the opener against NC St. The only catches are a) you have to get to my tailgate to pick them up 9I'll be happy to provide you with some food and drink before the game) and b) you'll need to stop by after the game for a beer as evidence that you remained for the game.

Our chance to land in a power conference will come if our football program starts winning games and drawing fans. While I believe it was being very narrow minded, I can see the concern many B-12 schools had about our football program and why they would prefer the safe play (adding schools that do have a football track record, even if some of those aren't anything special) over one that doesn't.

If our football program can reach, or ideally succeed what we did from 2007-2010 and we fill the house the way we did then, we will be in the conversation.

The B-12 (if we got there) was little more than a bridge. A bridge that offered large financial and competitive benefits over our current situation but still a bridge. When they reach the point where they have to negotiate their next media deal (~2030) they'll be where the PAC was the past few months. If the goal is to get full membership in the B-12 when they next need to replace someone, our chances would be pretty similar if we remain where we are or joined them for basketball only (unless they offered considerably more money than the BE pays). Beyond that, at that point joining the B-12 would possibly be permanently limiting us to second tier status.

Do I like where we are at the moment? No. Am I ready to give up on the future? Not yet.

Reaction Score
That Guy,

Do you attend football games? If not, I have two tickets for you for the opener against NC St. The only catches are a) you have to get to my tailgate to pick them up 9I'll be happy to provide you with some food and drink before the game) and b) you'll need to stop by after the game for a beer as evidence that you remained for the game.

Our chance to land in a power conference will come if our football program starts winning games and drawing fans. While I believe it was being very narrow minded, I can see the concern many B-12 schools had about our football program and why they would prefer the safe play (adding schools that do have a football track record, even if some of those aren't anything special) over one that doesn't.

If our football program can reach, or ideally succeed what we did from 2007-2010 and we fill the house the way we did then, we will be in the conversation.

The B-12 (if we got there) was little more than a bridge. A bridge that offered large financial and competitive benefits over our current situation but still a bridge. When they reach the point where they have to negotiate their next media deal (~2030) they'll be where the PAC was the past few months. If the goal is to get full membership in the B-12 when they next need to replace someone, our chances would be pretty similar if we remain where we are or joined them for basketball only (unless they offered considerably more money than the BE pays). Beyond that, at that point joining the B-12 would possibly be permanently limiting us to second tier status.

Do I like where we are at the moment? No. Am I ready to give up on the future? Not yet.
The next round of contracts that come up will most probably be a rollback to lower amounts.
People cutting cable and only paying for what they want. Fox and ESPN will have to cut costs, NBC will be in the same boat
The Big 10 goes up for bids 2029, the Big 12 in 2031.
There could be a big adjustment all around.

Reaction Score
That Guy,

I do attend games, I have to admit, definitely not as many as I did a decade+ ago. The problem that we're up against is that judging on our past experience with realignment, we're going to get passed up for every single ACC school when the Big 12 decides to expand again. Even if the football program continues to do well, they're still going to take the P5 schools over us. That may not be the case if we're already a Big 12 bball member with a scheduling agreement for football. I think it would improve our chances of getting in far more than just having winning seasons and hoping for the best when the time comes once again. The Big 12 will be the "best of the rest" conference by the time they pillage the ACC. It won't be anywhere near as good as the SEC or B1G, but it will be a very respectable conference with the absolute best basketball in the country. They'll get a good media deal when the time comes.

Reaction Score
If ND does not want to join the B1G, then they better join the ACC now. They might have been able to save the Big East if they joined in football. It could have been the ACC raiding the ACC.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If ND does not want to join the B1G, then they better join the ACC now. They might have been able to save the Big East if they joined in football. It could have been the ACC raiding the ACC.
Why? There’s no reason for them to join any league. The Big10 will always be willing to take them. They have e a nice deal with NBC. My guess is that part of the new NBC deal will be for them to schedule a certain number of Big10 games (3-5) so when they or the Big10 are away, NBC can still show them. They can play USC and UCLA every year (instead of Stanford) and get their Cali fix or they can continue playing Stanford. This would still give them 2-4 games not contracted with either NBC or The ACC.

Reaction Score
Your view is short-sighted. If they offer us Big XII membership for everything but football, with guaranteed number of Big XII football games each year, and a path to full membership, we take it.
Agreed. This board thinks we are way more valuable than we actually are. Spoiler Alert!! You are only worth what someone is willing to pay. It’s not bad luck that we keep getting passed over. We just ain’t as attractive as we think we are. You take any path that will build value in what matters in conf realignment = football.

Reaction Score
Agreed. This board thinks we are way more valuable than we actually are. Spoiler Alert!! You are only worth what someone is willing to pay. It’s not bad luck that we keep getting passed over. We just ain’t as attractive as we think we are. You take any path that will build value in what matters in conf realignment = football.
A lot worse programs have gotten into the P5.

Most of the posters here are realists about what UConn is.

That being said, do you not remember that UConn was 2x the prime target for the ACC ahead of a few current ACC schools?

We're blackballed by BC primarily, but the fact remains, the ACC assessed UConn positively.

The B12, on the other hand, can't stand yankees, and they definitely believe we don't fit in with the yokels. They're right.

Reaction Score
So, what’s the number that is enough to overcome
the embarrassment of joining the Big 12 in basketball only? Screw them and their balls the size of Texas!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
So, what’s the number that is enough to overcome
the embarrassment of joining the Big 12 in basketball only? Screw them and their balls the size of Texas!!!!!!!!!!!
I doubt there is a basketball number that would be high enough to make the travel worth the while for all sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom