Poor Shoni | The Boneyard

Poor Shoni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She felt she had to do it alone tonight. At least a couple of her mates grossly under achieved due to our suffocating defense. She had to force a lot of shots. Oh well at least she scored some points.

Reaction Score
She felt she had to do it alone tonight. At least a couple of her mates grossly under achieved due to our suffocating defense. She had to force a lot of shots. Oh well at least she scored some points.
I'm thinking that maybe she did her team a disservice by trying to take the game over all by herself. She was gunning from the beginning and I think she took her teammates out of any rhythm to get into their individual offense. Louisville is supposed to have a pretty potent offense and I'm assuming that Shoni doesn't average 80 points a game so someone else must put up some points at some time. I don't think anyone really had a chance to try tonight. I could understand her taking over if there was five minutes left in the half and the rest of the team had only scored seven points while missing 30 shots but I don't think they ever had a chance to get going. When they finally did get the ball, it appeared that it was a hot potato that had to be sent back to Shimmel. Just my thoughts!

Reaction Score
Hammond missed a bunch of shots and didn't defend that well either. Slaughter wasn't her usual self either. I just think that Shoni didn't get much help.

Reaction Score
I think Louisville took it's lead from it's coach and from Shimmel. Just keep shooting and keep subbing and see if something works. Nobody got in any rhythm offensively for Louisville. Of course that UConn team had more than a little to do with that offensive performance. What a great defensive performance!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There are obvious limitations to how far even great star players like Ogwumike, Sims and Shimmel can carry their teams. Equally obvious is that coaches look smarter and their teams achieve more when they have at least two stars to complement one another. Think of Jordan + Pippen, McBride + Loyd, or Stewie + Bria (and Stef, KML and MoJet).

Reaction Score
I'm thinking that maybe she did her team a disservice by trying to take the game over all by herself. She was gunning from the beginning and I think she took her teammates out of any rhythm to get into their individual offense. Louisville is supposed to have a pretty potent offense and I'm assuming that Shoni doesn't average 80 points a game so someone else must put up some points at some time. I don't think anyone really had a chance to try tonight. I could understand her taking over if there was five minutes left in the half and the rest of the team had only scored seven points while missing 30 shots but I don't think they ever had a chance to get going. When they finally did get the ball, it appeared that it was a hot potato that had to be sent back to Shimmel. Just my thoughts!
I like the kid and her nice slightly chubby faced smile. L'ville looked lost and out of synch esp in the 1st half when she was held out of the game.Unfortunately L'ville doesn't have the depth of talent UConn or ND or even UNC has so rely on her to even up that disparity!! At the RAC they would have lost to RU in the game she pulled out for them at the end. In the 1st half RU almost pulled away but she shot them back into the game. L'ville is RU w/o Schimmel....the difference maker for L'ville. A short kinda stubby Sue Wicks. She's IMO a likeable kid who deserves all her accolades.

Reaction Score
Shoni gave Louisville everything she had....and she will try even harder in the Tournament. Next year we need to watch out for Jude. I think she is undervalued right now because she defers to Shoni.

I don't think so. It seems pretty clear to me Jude can't create off the dribble the way Shoni can. Jude's probably a better pure spot-up shooter than her sister, but she needs somebody to get her the ball.

Reaction Score
The kid is truly a warrior. Considering the fact that she tried in each of the three games to put the entire burden on her own shoulders (and what other option was there?), she jacked up some ridiculous shots...but made a surprising number of them! She's got great heart, but nowhere near enough of a supporting cast.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I don't think so. It seems pretty clear to me Jude can't create off the dribble the way Shoni can. Jude's probably a better pure spot-up shooter than her sister, but she needs somebody to get her the ball.

This (mostly) ^

She is no great ball handler. I thought we should have started pressing her every time she brought the ball up. At this point she doesn't have the court savvy to move & create. I am more than a little skeptical when you say she is a better "pure spot-up shooter" than Shoni.

Let's put it this way, who would you rather have next year, Jude or Mo?

Reaction Score
Let's put it this way, who would you rather have next year, Jude or Mo?

I'm really the wrong person to change that context on. I would never have in any way implied Jude would be preferable to BonnBonn. As it happens, our little MoJet is my current favorite Husky, in other words favorite wcbb player, I can just go on and on for hours about how special she is. She'll end up much better than Shoni, never mind Jude. She may already as a soph be better than Shoni, a senior about to go pro as a first-round draft pick. I don't see the top end for BonnBonn yet, which is really exciting when she's already doing better than 5 apg, A/TO of roughly 3:1 and almost 40% from 3-pt land. She's likely to end up one of the alltime great PGs in the history of wcbb. Have I satisfactorily answered your question?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to say that at least she got the UConn Monkey off her back. I'm sure she was happy to see shots go in.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Much of what's so far been said echoes my own thoughts. I like Shoni and her fiery personality and energy. Her personal background and back-story are interesting, even uplifting.

But her games against UConn were dismal. Wild shots, failure to move w/o the ball, defense, bad passes, etc. I give credit to UC for much of her difficulties, but equally that she seems to "get in her own head" when she plays the Huskies. Certainly not the first player to do this, but maybe one of the more obvious cases.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It was painfully obvious that the ONLY way Looeyville was going to try and stay in the game was by heaving the treys. And Schimmel was barely getting closer to the rim than Stonington. She made some from there, too, to her credit.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I like the Schimmels, they seem like decent kids. I'll root for Louisville as long as they're not playing us.
Will be interesting to see how Shoni does at the next level, same next year if Jude gets drafted.

I'll play in the WNBA before Jude. That's never gonna happen.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Louisville toughed out a win against South Florida where the outcome wasn't clear until the final bell sounded. They had to have been feeling their legs when they hit the floor to play UConn PLUS - there was some talk after the last time we played Louisville where Shoni said on camera that they could beat UConn...so perhaps a need to save a little face was in play - just thinking out loud here, just my opinion.

Likely, it was the game the previous day that sapped some of their legs, they played chippy until the refs stepped in, but they did not play us as hard as they had in the last meeting, IMO.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Actually
for the L'ville system to work
Shoni and Slaughter have to go off.
Sadly (for the Card's)
'Nita couldn't buy a trey yesterday.

Reaction Score
Shoni gave Louisville everything she had....and she will try even harder in the Tournament. Next year we need to watch out for Jude. I think she is undervalued right now because she defers to Shoni.
How would you know? If not the WNBA, and why not, maybe she will play overseas. Why so negative?
I think she could play in the WNBA. Though I think she'd be more of a role-player like Kelly was last year.

Reaction Score
I like Shoni, and think she is a dynamic scorer. Put Shoni on the Uconn team and she will be very special.
Similarly, put KML on the Louisville team and she may not by that different than Shoni. I don't think KML
can create shot as well as Shoni. Who you have around you makes a huge difference.

Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with Shoni. She gives 100% every game. She's had a lot of weight on her shoulders. She doesn't have the same support as UConn has. Obviously, UConn has dominated Louisville, but you can't judge Shoni on that since we have so many players to take her out of her game. If you watch her other games, she's pretty dominant. Shoni took her team to the National Championship game last year, taking out #1 overall seed Baylor. She's a very good player and has been in a Championship game. Not many players can claim that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom