Point Guard Play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Point Guard Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, I meant it. You have been a flat out pain the the... Lately. I chocked it up to your procedure but you pick fights with virtually everyone. Get a grip.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No, I meant it. You have been a flat out pain the the... Lately. I chocked it up to your procedure but you pick fights with virtually everyone. Get a grip.

Padre, you have some real issues. I think if you put me on ignore, I will do the same. If not, please don't reply to me anymore.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What???? Did you really just say that outloud??
Yes. Because your points didn't make any sense with what I said (wrote).

I've never been a proponent of the idea that she is a better 2 guard. She is not a good shooter. And that is the main task of a shooting guard.
Well you would be wrong.

Certainly this year (roles can change) she is playing every bit of a point guard, even when Jefferson is in the game.
She plays the point sometimes, not much when Jefferson is in though. Again, doesn't mean she is not a better 2 guard. Jefferson sometimes plays the 2, that doesn't mean she is not a much better PG.

When you have 47 assists and 10 TO's and you are shooting under 30% on 3's, you better be a point guard.
So Dolson is now a PG too???

Oy, what's a jumper, what's a point guard.
Why do I have to explain everything to yuse guys? :rolleyes:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yes. Because your points didn't make any sense with what I said (wrote).

Well you would be wrong.

She plays the point sometimes, not much when Jefferson is in though. Again, doesn't mean she is not a better 2 guard. Jefferson sometimes plays the 2, that doesn't mean she is not a much better PG.

So Dolson is now a PG too???

Why do I have to explain everything to yuse guys? :rolleyes:

What does Hartley do differently than Jefferson when they are both in the game?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What does Hartley do differently than Jefferson when they are both in the game?
Again, not relevant to whether she is a better 2 than a 1. DT is a natural 2, although she won the L-C award twice.

And to answer your question, Hartley plays the 2 most of the time (not all the time) while Jefferson is in the game. She even plays the 2 while Chong is in the game (though not as much as when Jefferson is in).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Again, not relevant to whether she is a better 2 than a 1. DT is a natural 2, although she won the L-C award twice.

And to answer your question, Hartley plays the 2 most of the time (not all the time) while Jefferson is in the game. She even plays the 2 while Chong is in the game (though not as much as when Jefferson is in).
My initial point in this thread is that she is splitting the point guard duties with Jefferson and both play point when they are in the game, splitting bringing the ball up and initiating the offense. I was just watching one of the games and maybe it's tilted a little more towards Jefferson being the primary ball handler, but it's not by much.

I will not argue if Hartley is a better shooting guard or point guard. You won't convince me and I won't convince you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Padre, you have some real issues. I think if you put me on ignore, I will do the same. If not, please don't reply to me anymore.
I have no interest in putting you on ignore. I am smacking you in the head because I am trying to get your attention and someone has to wake you up. Why are you attempting to pick fights with almost everyone?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I have no interest in putting you on ignore. I am smacking you in the head because I am trying to get your attention and someone has to wake you up. Why are you attempting to pick fights with almost everyone?

I would appreciate you not replying to me anymore. You don't have to put me on ignore. I don't need your holy head smacking.

I replied to Chris that I disagreed that Hartley doesn't play the point. That is not picking a fight.

Your replies to me were the only "fight picking" here.

I find it pretty ironic that you are telling me that I am attempting to pick fights with almost everyone. A ridiculous accusation and coming form someone with so many posts, most of the disagreeing with other posters...lol.

Now, again, please stop replying to me. I'll do the same with you and everyone here will be much happier.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would appreciate you not replying to me anymore. You don't have to put me on ignore. I don't need your holy head smacking.

I replied to Chris that I disagreed that Hartley doesn't play the point. That is not picking a fight.

Your replies to me were the only "fight picking" here.

I find it pretty ironic that you are telling me that I am attempting to pick fights with almost everyone. A ridiculous accusation and coming form someone with so many posts, most of the disagreeing with other posters...lol.

Now, again, please stop replying to me. I'll do the same with you and everyone here will be much happier.
Oh behave. You two lovebirds. :D (or beardog, dogbear)

Reaction Score
Jefferson/Chong play the point for Uconn as much as Maria Conlon did when Diana was playing.
Bria hasn't been the "typical" Uconn point, until this season. Perhaps she looked like more of a scoring point guard. (But she always played the point..) This season though, Bria looks every bit of a "pure" point guard..from taking care of the ball to decision making to passing (and defense.)

I'm waiting for her shot to return though. I don't know how someone can nose dive in shooting the way Bria has. I'm sure it'll come back though. (especially when we play more good teams..)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

You didn't say what they do differently on the court.

I see both of them bring the ball up the court. I see both of them at the top of the key initiating the offense and I see both driving to the basket. I see both calling plays.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Jefferson/Chong play the point for Uconn as much as Maria Conlon did when Diana was playing.
Bria hasn't been the "typical" Uconn point, until this season. Perhaps she looked like more of a scoring point guard. (But she always played the point..) This season though, Bria looks every bit of a "pure" point guard..from taking care of the ball to decision making to passing (and defense.)

I'm waiting for her shot to return though. I don't know how someone can nose dive in shooting the way Bria has. I'm sure it'll come back though. (especially when we play more good teams..)
She (Bria) has been so incredibly streaky. Just when you think her shot is back (5-6 vs. Monmouth and 2-3 from deep), she goes a combined 7-22 (1-10 from deep) vs, BU and SBU.

For the season she's shooting 44% overall and 25% from deep. At this point, I'd say she's not a good shooter. Of the long range threats on the team, she's by far the worst. BUT she does so many other things well. I hope her shooting "picks up". If it becomes clear her 3 point shot has abandoned her, the pull up J and mid range J have been terrific for her and that would be something to focus more on than launching from deep.

However, the argument of whether Bria or Moriah is the "1" on UCONN who should be considered when discussing PG's, it will probably never be settled. In my mind, Moriah is the starting PG. But it's clear many think of Bria as the "PG". In my mind, Moriah should be used when discussing the PG's for UCONN and Bria should be the 2G since that is technically what the starters are at this time.

1 - Moriah
2 - Bria
3 - BBanks
4 - Stewie
5 - Stef

It's been my observation that when Moriah and Bria are in the game together, whenever UCONN rebounds off a missed shot by the other team, they FIRST look to get the ball to Moriah to bring the ball up the court. To me, that's the PRIMARY PG. I'd consider Bria the secondary PG, if you will, and she is certainly capable of doing exactly what Moriah does since bringing the ball up the court and "starting the offense" is not rocket science. Also, FWIW, I've seen Banks and Chong perform that task as well. I'm betting that's one reason Geno has recruited players like Sadie, Gabby and Kia since all of them possess "PG" skills.

But that's just my $.02. Some will probably agree, some disagree. Either way, I'm very glad UCONN has at least one player being discussed for the Lieberman award. How cool would it be to have 2 of them as finalists?!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess this squelches the talk that the LV coaches don't develop their players -- it just takes them a little longer than the Elite coaching staffs to do so. But then again, there is Meighan Simmons...can't say they have changed her ways much since she stepped on campus...in fact, Holly Worlock embellishes Simmons gunning tendencies, commonly describing Simmons as a "volume shooter" like its a compliment.

#StillTennessee #YouDon'tKnowWhatYouDon'tKnow #LaughingAtYouNotWithYou
I attribute much of Massengale's improvement to her loss of weight and better conditioning. She accomplished this on her own, and I admire her for the discipline and effort it took. Also, being exposed to USA BB and their coaches last summer contributed to her performance upgrade. I don't perceive Holly having much to do with her improvement. Regarding the volume shooter - sounds more like a belligerent librarian.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You didn't say what they do differently on the court.

I see both of them bring the ball up the court. I see both of them at the top of the key initiating the offense and I see both driving to the basket. I see both calling plays.

Again, again, geez, again. Sure Hartley runs the point sometimes. Never said she didn't. I said Hartley is mainly a 2. That's her better position. Running the point sometimes does not automatically make the player a (or the) 1.

I'm sure you don't see the subtle differences between a 1 and a 2. Especially in this motion offense. For one, they don't always start the offense from the 1. Also the players switch around positions. Sometimes Hartley will be in the 3 spot.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Again, again, geez, again. Sure Hartley runs the point sometimes. Never said she didn't. I said Hartley is mainly a 2. That's her better position. Running the point sometimes does not automatically make the player a (or the) 1.

I'm sure you don't see the subtle differences between a 1 and a 2. Especially in this motion offense. For one, they don't always start the offense from the 1. Also the players switch around positions. Sometimes Hartley will be in the 3 spot.
So, your expert eye can see the subtlety of who is playing point and who is playing the 2 on every possession and I can't?

Whatever, Meyer.

I'm a little tired of the insults.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
What I find interesting...if anyone cares...is that a TVol poster came on this board crowing about their junior point guard finally (Note italics and underline) playing at an elite level without the benefit of being ranked in the top 5 point guards preseason, a relief for Tennessee I am sure.

A TVol poster. Never mind.

Instead of extolling the virtues of our developing sophomore and freshman points who are getting the message long before their respective junior years, it turned into a squabble. I am staying out of it of course, just making an observation....now I will back away, slowly

Reaction Score
It's been my observation that when Moriah and Bria are in the game together, whenever UCONN rebounds off a missed shot by the other team, they FIRST look to get the ball to Moriah to bring the ball up the court. To me, that's the PRIMARY PG. I'd consider Bria the secondary PG, if you will, and she is certainly capable of doing exactly what Moriah does since bringing the ball up the court and "starting the offense" is not rocket science. Also, FWIW, I've seen Banks and Chong perform that task as well. I'm betting that's one reason Geno has recruited players like Sadie, Gabby and Kia since all of them possess "PG" skills.

But that's just my $.02. Some will probably agree, some disagree. Either way, I'm very glad UCONN has at least one player being discussed for the Lieberman award. How cool would it be to have 2 of them as finalists?!!!

Meh..I think Bria's the guard controlling the game. And to me, that's the point guard. I agree that Moriah is the first person they look to give the ball too, but typically, if the team doesn't get anything in transition, It's Bria who is given the ball, to run the offense. It's shared duties. Geno has said that he likes it that way anyway. (It's actually similar to the Men's team, where both Boatright and Napier start. Or before that when both Napier and Walker played together..or before that when Walker and Price played together...in fact that might be the best comparison. Despite Walker technically playing the one, I think most people got the impression that Price was leading that team.)

But I think the truth is, we have two point guards starting. It's just that Bria Hartley is a better scorer than Moriah.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well Rady - you obviously cannot distinguish between a TVol poster and a Vol fan! It is clear you know nothing about anything! Why should we read anything more you post if to your untrained and clearly myopic eye a TN fan, a Vol fan, a TVol fan and their related but distinct cousins TN poster, Vol poster and TVol poster all look the same. Geesh! What planet did you come from! :confused::eek::rolleyes::cool::)
And what is this 'back away slowly' #@&!#! Start a flame war and then try and disappear!:D

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Well Rady - you obviously cannot distinguish between a TVol poster and a Vol fan! It is clear you know nothing about anything! Why should we read anything more you post if to your untrained and clearly myopic eye a TN fan, a Vol fan, a TVol fan and their related but distinct cousins TN poster, Vol poster and TVol poster all look the same. Geesh! What planet did you come from! :confused::eek::rolleyes::cool::)
And what is this 'back away slowly' #@&!#! Start a flame war and then try and disappear!:D

moi?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But I think the truth is, we have two point guards starting. It's just that Bria Hartley is a better scorer than Moriah.
Agree with the first part, but based on YTD have to disagree with the second - Bria is scoring more points than Moriah 14 ppg to 11.6, but Moriah is shouting about .150 points better from the field and from three point land, and .300 points better from the free throw line.

Reaction Score
I always thought Massengale was way up the USA Basketball food chain and one of their regular picks. That made me think she was pretty highly regarded.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So, your expert eye can see the subtlety of who is playing point and who is playing the 2 on every possession and I can't?

Whatever, Meyer.

I'm a little tired of the insults.
Well? You are bringing it on yourself. (and I'm not "insulting" you, just trying to help you out)

My "expert eye" can see who is a 2 playing the point and who is a point playing the 2.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well? You are bringing it on yourself. (and I'm not "insulting" you, just trying to help you out)

My "expert eye" can see who is a 2 playing the point and who is a point playing the 2.
You and Icebear trying to educate me on basketball?

No thanks.

I'm the only one you are replying to like that. And there are several others here who agree that they both play point, even when they are on the court together.

It's possession by possession. Clear as can be.

It could be 60-40 Jefferson playing the point when they are the court together. But they do split it, even if not equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom