Point Guard Play | The Boneyard

Point Guard Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ariel Massengale is finally playing at an elite level for the Lady Vols (14 ppg, 2.4 spg, 5.6 apg, 50% from 3, 40% from the field, 83% FT shooting) She wasn't ranked in ESPN's top 5 point guards in the preseason though.

Obviously Bria Hartley is having an outstanding senior season. How are the rest of the country's top point guards faring, like Chelsea Gray, Odyssey Sims, Amber Orrange?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Obviously Bria Hartley is having an outstanding senior season. How are the rest of the country's top point guards faring, like Chelsea Gray, Odyssey Sims, Amber Orrange?

All playing well…good group of points

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Ariel Massengale is finally playing at an elite level for the Lady Vols (14 ppg, 2.4 spg, 5.6 apg, 50% from 3, 40% from the field, 83% FT shooting) She wasn't ranked in ESPN's top 5 point guards in the preseason though.

Gee I don't know....how are Jefferson and Chong doing?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Not a bad start.

Perspective is in order when you have played against only one top 30 team and that one plays really poor defense.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Not a bad start.

Perspective is in order when you have played against only one top 30 team and that one plays really poor defense.

DD, you're nicer than I am. I had to edit my post.

Reaction Score
Bria is not the point guard this year. MoJeff and Saniya are, although you wouldn't know from Bria's assist total.

Reaction Score

Better to compare Hartley to the top shooting guards.

example:
## SUMMARY GP-GS Min/g FG% 3PT% FT% R/G A/G STL BLK PTS/G
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hartley, Bria....... .......... 8-8 31.8 .446 .250 .550 4.3 5.9 11 0 14.0
Simmoms, Megan...... 5-5 24.4 .322 .192 .917 2.4 1.2 6 0 10.8

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Bria is not the point guard this year. MoJeff and Saniya are, although you wouldn't know from Bria's assist total.
She plays the point. I know, most posters like to say she can't play the point. It's not true. She has been on the Leiberman list every year, I believe.

Uconn is playing two points. Chong isn't one of them.

Reaction Score
Bria definitely plays the point when Chong is in. When she's with Jefferson, it's shared duties. I think the offense runs smoother with Bria though.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
For Ariel I think it's a three things. 1 She is in the best shape in her career and healthy. 2. The fact that she is a junior and more mature. 3. She also now has competition for playing time with Carter. So far this year she has played like one of the top point guards. Bria and Sims are two of the best point guards.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Before todays game... Gray was averaging 13.5 ppg, 8.5 apg, 5.3 rpg, 3.25 spg, shooting 51.4% from the floor... 36% from 3 point, and 83% from the FT line. She didnt shoot well today, but had 12pts, 13 assists, 9 rebounds, and 5 steals.. just one rebound short of a triple double. She had a triple double vs USC-Upstate... and was 2 rebounds short of a triple double vs Vanderbilt.

I remember someone posted here that Gray didnt deserve to be a preseason All-american as other guards have better all around games. She isnt quite 100% yet... and Duke hasnt played anyone... so time will tell if she deserves to be highly thought of as a pg.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Before todays game... Gray was averaging 13.5 ppg, 8.5 apg, 5.3 rpg, 3.25 spg, shooting 51.4% from the floor... 36% from 3 point, and 83% from the FT line. She didnt shoot well today, but had 12pts, 13 assists, 9 rebounds, and 5 steals.. just one rebound short of a triple double. She had a triple double vs USC-Upstate... and was 2 rebounds short of a triple double vs Vanderbilt.

I remember someone posted here that Gray didnt deserve to be a preseason All-american as other guards have better all around games. She isnt quite 100% yet... and Duke hasnt played anyone... so time will tell if she deserves to be highly thought of as a pg.
Who posted that? I think she and Simms are two of the premier PG's in the nation with Jefferson being the third. I get that Bria will likely get the nod in the discussion for the Lieberman award, but I think Moriah should be right in there as well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I get that Bria will likely get the nod in the discussion for the Lieberman award, but I think Moriah should be right in there as well.
Jefferson will probably have to wait til next year for her recognition.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She plays the point. I know, most posters like to say she can't play the point. It's not true. She has been on the Leiberman list every year, I believe.
It's not that she can't play the point, it's that she is a better 2 guard. Her more natural position.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It's not that she can't play the point, it's that she is a better 2 guard. Her more natural position.

Maybe. But not this year.

She is handling handling the ball as much as Jefferson. She is initiating the offense as much as Jefferson as well.

In every definition of what a point guard does, Hartley does those things. As doe Jefferson.

It's exactly what Geno wants, two point guards on the floor together.

Reaction Score

It's flattering that LV fans like you and stwainfan turn to posting on The Boneyard when you want sound, logical, to-the-point feedback on the LV team and players, instead of resorting to the biased non-sense that is discussed on free and paid for LV forums. Thanks for the vote of confidence that The Boneyard is THE place to go for discussing WCB!

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

She is handling handling the ball as much as Jefferson. She is initiating the offense as much as Jefferson as well.

In every definition of what a point guard does, Hartley does those things. As doe Jefferson.

What????? Does that somehow make her not a better 2? It's still her more natural position. (ANY year. Years don't change that.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

And two shooting guards!
Crafty Geno has figured out how to play the game 7 on 5 without anyone noticing!:rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

That is a function of the motion/read option offense. Chong, also, ends up at the point. There have been times when Bria has chased either MoJet or Chong off the point. It is part of the chess match of seeing who will cover whom and then exploiting the match ups.

Reaction Score

I guess this squelches the talk that the LV coaches don't develop their players -- it just takes them a little longer than the Elite coaching staffs to do so. But then again, there is Meighan Simmons...can't say they have changed her ways much since she stepped on campus...in fact, Holly Worlock embellishes Simmons gunning tendencies, commonly describing Simmons as a "volume shooter" like its a compliment.

#StillTennessee #YouDon'tKnowWhatYouDon'tKnow #LaughingAtYouNotWithYou

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What????? Does that somehow make her not a better 2? It's still her more natural position. (ANY year. Years don't change that.)

What???? Did you really just say that outloud??

I've never been a proponent of the idea that she is a better 2 guard. She is not a good shooter. And that is the main task of a shooting guard.

Certainly this year (roles can change) she is playing every bit of a point guard, even when Jefferson is in the game.

When you have 47 assists and 10 TO's and you are shooting under 30% on 3's, you better be a point guard.

Oy, what's a jumper, what's a point guard.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
That is a function of the motion/read option offense. Chong, also, ends up at the point.
I agree, although not as often.

In every definition of point guard (here we go again), Hartley is a point. And a lot of that is the function of Geno's offense, as you mentioned.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
A lot to learn isn't there. And you don't have to be a proponent of Bria as a 2 Geno does.

I know what a jumper and I know what a point guard is. I didn't learn that here.

My "Oy" was about the difference of opinion on what a couple of players do and are.

Chong shoots a jumper and Hartley shares the PG position. I'm sticking to that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I know what a jumper and I know what a point guard is. I didn't learn that here.

My "Oy" was about the difference of opinion on what a couple of players do and are.

Chong shoots a jumper and Hartley shares the PG position. I'm sticking to that.
Apparently you didn't learn it at all. As I said I'll take Geno's defining her as a 2 on several occasions over yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom