Point Guard Play | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Point Guard Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
My $.02. As I've understood some of Geno's comments over the years he has never subscribed to the 1-2-3-4-5 mantra. He expects his guards to be interchangeable and his bigs to be interchangeable relative to where they are on the floor at any given time.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My $.02. As I've understood some of Geno's comments over the years he has never subscribed to the 1-2-3-4-5 mantra. He expects his guards to be interchangeable and his bigs to be interchangeable relative to where they are on the floor at any given time.
I agree. And with the 3 guard lineup any of them can act like the point on any particular play.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I always thought Massengale was way up the USA Basketball food chain and one of their regular picks. That made me think she was pretty highly regarded.

indeed, but she under-performed her first two years at Tennessee.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Spot-On! I agree with you 100%!

Stef may be the "1," but she spends a lot of time at the top of the key in the high post. Sue and Diana were interchangeable guards. So were Diana and Maria. Stewie is, I guess, supposed to be the "3," but she shoots from the perimeter and takes passes in the low post from Stef (out on the perimeter).

I could go on but, suffice it for now, I believe you have captured the essence of Geno's philosophy perfectly. For which I thank you.

Reaction Score
What does Hartley do differently than Jefferson when they are both in the game?

This is a big argument about nothing. Geno has mostly used what he calls a two guard offense over the years. This year is no different and unlike us he doesn't characterize them as a point (1) and shooting (2) guards. He just calls them guards and expects both of them to initiate the offense depending on the situation. So they both play like point and off guards depending on the situation.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This is a big argument about nothing. Geno has mostly used what he calls a two guard offense over the years. This year is no different and unlike us he doesn't characterize them as a point (1) and shooting (2) guards. He just calls them guards and expects both of them to initiate the offense depending on the situation. So they both play like point and off guards depending on the situation.
I agree one hundred percent.

The answer to my question is they don't do anything differently when playing together. Their role is dependent on the play.

This started when I disagreed with Chris when he said "Bria is not the point guard this year. MoJeff and Saniya are".

Seems you disagree with that as well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You and Icebear trying to educate me on basketball?
No thanks.
You of so little faith. :cool:

I'm the only one you are replying to like that. And there are several others here who agree that they both play point, even when they are on the court together.

It's possession by possession. Clear as can be.

It could be 60-40 Jefferson playing the point when they are the court together. But they do split it, even if not equally.
Do you even read my posts? :confused:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. As I've said a few times in this thread.

You do understand though, when a team runs a motion offense, there are actually numbers associated with the positions within that offense, right? But certainly the players switch around with who is playing the 5,4,3,2,1.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ah.... the old divide and conquer technique ... and the Volfan hasnt even returned to this thread. Maybe I should try a similar technique over on the UNC's board :cool:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
With good reason. In the offense UCONN runs different players who can literally shift roles moment to moment. The more overall diversity of various players at differing locations in the offense the better it runs. One moment a PG the next a 2, then a 3.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Who posted that? I think she and Simms are two of the premier PG's in the nation with Jefferson being the third. l.

I would have taken either McBride or KML over Gray. Both have a better all around game.

Per game averages as of today... 13.2 pts. 9.4 assists 6.o rebounds and 3.6 steals Solid all around numbers, but of course I am biased :rolleyes:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Per game averages as of today... 13.2 pts. 9.4 assists 6.o rebounds and 3.6 steals Solid all around numbers, but of course I am biased :rolleyes:

Covering the Gray area like a lamb to slaughter....I LIKE it!

RandomFan85

A Rogue LV Fan
Reaction Score
I attribute much of Massengale's improvement to her loss of weight and better conditioning. She accomplished this on her own, and I admire her for the discipline and effort it took. Also, being exposed to USA BB and their coaches last summer contributed to her performance upgrade. I don't perceive Holly having much to do with her improvement. Regarding the volume shooter - sounds more like a belligerent librarian.

I certainly agree. I am curious if (and hopeful that) she can string together some consistency as the season wears on. Too me, she has always been a defensive liability. She does look somewhat better in that regard.

As far as Simmons goes, well I'm not a fan of a "volume shooter" when they shoot 32% from the field and 19% from three. Tennessee has gotten a reputation for having no semblance of an offense, and I think a lot of that can be contributed to Simmons and Warlick. The ball never makes it through a set before she jacks it up. When she's hot, she's hot, when she's not, she's not, but that doesn't stop her from taking the shots and Holly seems okay with letting he continually fling them up...

Reaction Score
I certainly agree. I am curious if (and hopeful that) she can string together some consistency as the season wears on. Too me, she has always been a defensive liability. She does look somewhat better in that regard.

As far as Simmons goes, well I'm not a fan of a "volume shooter" when they shoot 32% from the field and 19% from three. Tennessee has gotten a reputation for having no semblance of an offense, and I think a lot of that can be contributed to Simmons and Warlick. The ball never makes it through a set before she jacks it up. When she's hot, she's hot, when she's not, she's not, but that doesn't stop her from taking the shots and Holly seems okay with letting he continually fling them up...
I think Massengale's biggest problem was coming in to the program as an underclassman and being expected to take over at the point guard position from a ball dominating Simmons who still believes she is the offense. Trying to run an offense and rein in Simmons would be a task for anyone. Simmons is an offensive flow killer. I don't see Massengale actually being able to show what she can do until Simmons is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom