Players Entering Transfer Portal, As of March 2024 | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Players Entering Transfer Portal, As of March 2024

Reaction Score
More than 1,000. Fewer than 1,100.....so far.

I am confused by the sheer number of people in the portal, not that it is new this year. More than 95% (maybe even 99%) of these players have zero chance of a post-college basketball playing career. What is the reason for moving around to different schools unless you have a serious problem at your previous school, from the message they post to announce they are entering the portal, they seem pretty happy at their current school.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I can't imagine education was at the top of her priority list so far in her college career. But, never say never . . .
I don't think that's fair to say, especially since she got her degree at Louisville in 3 years. You don't cram all those extra classes in three years if you don't care about your education.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's fair to say, especially since she got her degree at Louisville in 3 years. You don't cram all those extra classes in three years if you don't care about your education.
Not to mention managing the course load with their basketball commitments. That's not easy for students without the amount of commitments these players have.

Reaction Score
I am confused by the sheer number of people in the portal, not that it is new this year. More than 95% (maybe even 99%) of these players have zero chance of a post-college basketball playing career. What is the reason for moving around to different schools unless you have a serious problem at your previous school, from the message they post to announce they are entering the portal, they seem pretty happy at their current school.
Me too. If I had to guess, there are a lot of "grass is greener" vibes going on. So many athletes are probably thinking that they would be draftable if they had a better coach or a different system to showcase their skills, and would have NIL opportunities at a bigger institution.

Reaction Score
She apparently is very uptempo , defensive pressure coach. Not sure how many Tn players fit that.
That's funny because that's EXACTLY how Miami's new coach Cullop described her style of coaching when interviewed on the ACC network today. Will be interesting to see which coach fares better in their first season at the helm. At least for Miami that was pretty much the style they have played under Meier so shouldn't be a very big adjustment. So far only 3 players have hit the portal and those before meeting the new coach. Core group of a pretty good team is intact to this point....

Reaction Score
I'll say.......even getting a degree in four years as a high-level collegiate athlete isn't easy with all of the time spent in the gym and traveling........the fact that she could do it in three years is quite impressive.....

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

I didn't say she "didn't care about education". I stated I don't think it was "at the top of her priority list".

Finishing your bachelor's degree in 3 years is a great achievement. Is Louisville known for having a renowned and tough business school? Not that I've seen. UofL's overall ranking was #195 by US News. Then she transferred to LSU who US News ranks #185.

Reaction Score
I'll say.......even getting a degree in four years as a high-level collegiate athlete isn't easy with all of the time spent in the gym and traveling........the fact that she could do it in three years is quite impressive.....
True

But it is Louisville. In the bottom 5 of P5 schools academically.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Me too. If I had to guess, there are a lot of "grass is greener" vibes going on. So many athletes are probably thinking that they would be draftable if they had a better coach or a different system to showcase their skills, and would have NIL opportunities at a bigger institution.
Grass is greener hopes are probably at the forefront for most in the portal. I'll stick with Adia's consistent comments about how, for a lot of players, it is about the minutes. They're getting 19, they want 23. One of the examples she used. Also, players who have specific ideas about the position they want to play and how they want to play it. I'm not sure they think they would be draftable, that's a small group, but most likely more NIL in the short term is certainly a factor.

There have always been transfers for these reasons, but a small number because of old sit-out rules plus fewer players were in the "entitled" syndrome than there are today. I don't want to minimize situations and I hate using the entitlement word, but I don't know what else would describe it better.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Looks like we got some pretty big additions to this list
Here's the list updated with more marquee names. Am I missing anyone?

Biggest names in portal at the moment IMO:
Saylor Poffenbarger, Arkansas
Taliah Scott, Arkansas
Emma Ronsiek, Creighton
Jalynn Bristow, Iowa State
Ajae Petty, Kentucky
Kateri Poole, LSU
Faith Masonius, Maryland
Cameron Williams, Michigan
Rikki Harris, Ohio State
Grace Van Slooten, Oregon
Chance Gray, Oregon
Talia von Oelhoffen, Oregon State
Kaitlyn Chen, Princeton
Charlisse Leger-Walker, Washington State
Deja Kelly, North Carolina
Timea Gardiner, Oregon State
KK Bransford, Notre Dame
Lucy Olsen, Villanova
Hailey Van Lith, LSU
Laila Phelia, Michigan
Janiah Barker, Texas A&M
Leilani Kapinus, Penn State
Deyona Gaston, Texas

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's the list updated with more marquee names. Am I missing anyone?

Biggest names in portal at the moment IMO:
Saylor Poffenbarger, Arkansas
Taliah Scott, Arkansas
Emma Ronsiek, Creighton
Jalynn Bristow, Iowa State
Ajae Petty, Kentucky
Kateri Poole, LSU
Faith Masonius, Maryland
Cameron Williams, Michigan
Rikki Harris, Ohio State
Grace Van Slooten, Oregon
Chance Gray, Oregon
Talia von Oelhoffen, Oregon State
Kaitlyn Chen, Princeton
Charlisse Leger-Walker, Washington State
Deja Kelly, North Carolina
Timea Gardiner, Oregon State
KK Bransford, Notre Dame
Lucy Olsen, Villanova
Hailey Van Lith, LSU
It’s surprising to say but the best fit on this list might be Ronsiek. She doesn’t fill a front court need at 6’1”. But she played an offense similar to Geno’s at Creighton. She also has great work ethic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom