Photo of the 3 Freshmen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Photo of the 3 Freshmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some say Louisville has best class this year, other use a volumetric measure as in-4 Top 100 recruits are better than 3 Top 100. One of our poster ( I forget who) used to do an incredible job of coming up with a "composite" rating for all the individual recruits based on where they ranked in the various ranking services. I love these 3 UCONN recruits! Can't imagine anyone claiming to have three better than, or even as good as UCONN. There is really only 1 minor concern IMO, all three play essentially the same position-SF. In the very near future I could easily see The Pheenom, & KLS duking it out for 1st team AA honors at the SF position.

The same position? Don't bet your house on that opinion. I've seen all three play, and it is hard to imagine three players of the same age with more different games compared to these three. Their heights are similar; nothing else is.

Reaction Score
Some say Louisville has best class this year, other use a volumetric measure as in-4 Top 100 recruits are better than 3 Top 100. One of our poster ( I forget who) used to do an incredible job of coming up with a "composite" rating for all the individual recruits based on where they ranked in the various ranking services. I love these 3 UCONN recruits! Can't imagine anyone claiming to have three better than, or even as good as UCONN. There is really only 1 minor concern IMO, all three play essentially the same position-SF. In the very near future I could easily see The Pheenom, & KLS duking it out for 1st team AA honors at the SF position.
Thanks Coco. Not a quality recruiting rating system to me if I have #1-2-6 and you have 7-12-30 & 40 (or whatever 4 numbers come after 6) just because you have 4 of the top hundred and I only have 3. (If I have 1-2-3 and they have 30-40-50-60--someone says that since a team has 4 top hundred players that is a better recruiting year--Wacky-Wacky)
Your concern that all 3 frosh essentially play the same position--- well that's Geno's/CD's MO. They bring in 3 or 4 same position players and let them compete. Just like the guards last year. Geno is looking for two each year to pop out and be tops. One possibility (not too far-fetched I suppose) is that those 3 could fill the #2-3 &4 spots on the floor in the future. Lou at the 2 -SG, Boykin at the 3 and Collier at the 4 (like Tuck.) Just thinking aloud. (the 3 spot with Boykin would not be the 3 pt. shooter that year)

Reaction Score
Thanks Coco. Not a quality recruiting rating system to me if I have #1-2-6 and you have 7-12-30 & 40 (or whatever 4 numbers come after 6) just because you have 4 of the top hundred and I only have 3. (If I have 1-2-3 and they have 30-40-50-60--someone says that since a team has 4 top hundred players that is a better recruiting year--Wacky-Wacky)
Your concern that all 3 frosh essentially play the same position--- well that's Geno's/CD's MO. They bring in 3 or 4 same position players and let them compete. Just like the guards last year. Geno is looking for two each year to pop out and be tops. One possibility (not too far-fetched I suppose) is that those 3 could fill the #2-3 &4 spots on the floor in the future. Lou at the 2 -SG, Boykin at the 3 and Collier at the 4 (like Tuck.) Just thinking aloud. (the 3 spot with Boykin would not be the 3 pt. shooter that year)

Good idea, but wrong players IMO. I would predict Samuelson at the two, Collier at the three and Boykin at the four. That is how they have lined up when playing with each other and also how they have been used in USA basketball. I also would not be at all surprised if all three played major minutes this season; after all, they were McDonalds All-Americans for a reason. It all depends on whether Butler is a starter or a reserve; until that is settled, the use of the Freshmen can't be predicted as yet.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yo triad - Just wondering---As of today, after the summer tournaments, do you think Duke has a better (quality) recruiting class than UConn?

Actually I was being facetious. I never said Duke had the #1 class..... though I feel our class addresses our needs as well as any incoming recruiting class in the country. UCONN, Duke, Louisville, ND, Baylor fans are all excited about their freshmen and look forward to seeing them in action. ..... and thats how it should be.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Two Huskies competing for First Team AA. The horror. The horror.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The same position? Don't bet your house on that opinion. I've seen all three play, and it is hard to imagine three players of the same age with more different games compared to these three. Their heights are similar; nothing else is.
Yes, same position=not just my opinion, but also the position listed by the recruiting services and USA basketball for their age group teams. What are the differences in their games as you see it?

Reaction Score
Yes, same position=not just my opinion, but also the position listed by the recruiting services and USA basketball for their age group teams. What are the differences in their games as you see it?

I can't answer that question on the defensive side of the ball, but offensively the answer is really easy.

1. Collier is best with the ball in her hands, because she is a classic triple option player, able to hit the jumper, drive to the hoop or post up a smaller player. She is going to be devastating finishing off the break.

2. Samuelson is best without the ball in her hands because of her great ability to catch and shoot. What makes her so effective is that she can come off a cross or a back screen and dart either to the three-point line, the elbow, or the block and still hit the shot.

3. Boykin looks like a classic weak side post player, who will set those screens and roll to the block to either grab the offensive rebound or take a return pass for a layup. What makes her even more effective is the ability to roll outside if the cutter goes to the block, where she is capable of making the jumper as well.

To make sure I am clear, I am talking about off the ball screens. I don't see Geno going to pro-style pick and rolls anytime in our respective lifetimes.

Reaction Score

Hey Coco - Good question for Boreifs! Boreifs might say Lou is the shooter - Boykin is the slasher - - and Collier can bang inside and could play a 2-guard almost as good as Nurse. Great defender and can do it all--rebound, drive, assist, finish!! Of course, maybe Boykin could play that type of two guard as well. Boykin can defend, rebound, and score inside and out. The value some might see is the 2 -3- & and 4 spot could be filled by one of three on certain occasions. All three are monsters if listed as 2 or 3's. Hey I think they might be listed as guard/forward types---wings maybe. Geno's magic. Players with the IQ and the skills necessary to play different positions. Stewie has to be one of the best --inside/outside dangerous players. Turner can't match that versatility. Who can? Nobody I know. Who might? The three frosh. Exactly the SAME total package necessary to compete at UConn--but totally different methods of play/score and getting things done. Of the players coming back next year, I think all three frosh could fill the inside/outside player spot rather well. Tuck is the best inside player (if not Butler) (and second/third is GAbby); however, both Gabby and Tuck need more improvement on their outside game.
I remember Geno saying that it is very difficult to recruit the 6'1 to 6'4" player because they are a rare commodity. He is very happy that he got 3 very good ones. Again, they are exactly the same--but different!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can't answer that question on the defensive side of the ball, but offensively the answer is really easy.

1. Collier is best with the ball in her hands, because she is a classic triple option player, able to hit the jumper, drive to the hoop or post up a smaller player. She is going to be devastating finishing off the break.

2. Samuelson is best without the ball in her hands because of her great ability to catch and shoot. What makes her so effective is that she can come off a cross or a back screen and dart either to the three-point line, the elbow, or the block and still hit the shot.

3. Boykin looks like a classic weak side post player, who will set those screens and roll to the block to either grab the offensive rebound or take a return pass for a layup. What makes her even more effective is the ability to roll outside if the cutter goes to the block, where she is capable of making the jumper as well.

To make sure I am clear, I am talking about off the ball screens. I don't see Geno going to pro-style pick and rolls anytime in our respective lifetimes.

Not much disagreement and thanks for the analysis.
I have not seen The Pheemom start with the "ball in her hands" much and KLS does have a post up game. Boykin ability to finish is = or or better than Collier (I know that is a scary thought!) Boykin is also a better long ranger shooter than Colllier and all three are phenomenal passers.

On the defensive side of the ball (McCormick was the first to point this out) all three have tremendous length to disrupt passing lanes but all three struggle with staying in front of quicker ball handlers. All three are very good at positioning for rebounding and reacting to the ball-Collier's reaction to the ball is the best I have seen outside of Dennis Rodman.

I don't see Boykin as the classic weak side post player you describe because she does not have the frame for it. At her size ( 6'2" allegedly) she would need to be built like Barbara Turner, Morgan Tuck, or even Gabby to play this role effectively.

I think their games are more alike than different, while you seem to be saying they have different strengths-no doubt about that. I will conclude by saying that all thee are unfinished products and in the hands of the right craftsman (Geno) they will ALL excel.
Did anyone envision the sweet shooting, HS senior KML becoming in inside offensive rebounding demon she became in the 2014 NCAA tournament?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not much disagreement and thanks for the analysis.
I have not seen The Pheemom start with the "ball in her hands" much and KLS does have a post up game. Boykin ability to finish is = or or better than Collier (I know that is a scary thought!) Boykin is also a better long ranger shooter than Colllier and all three are phenomenal passers.

From having seen Boykin shoot at the 3x3 and having watched Collier umpteen times, I can tell you Collier is a much better shooter between the two. Boykin is raw offensively. Collier has great touch on all her shots.

Reaction Score
Horrors, shades of Cash, Jones, and Williams. Can't wait to see that again.

Reaction Score
Geno and UCONN's record going forward will speak volumes about the quality of recruits...........Ask TENN about having the best class label.. OOPS??? Team chemistry, good luck, no major injuries and having the best coaching staff and now facilities.. Helps!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom