PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Kids don't always go to there favorite school growing up. Ollie will have to convince this kid that he's better off here. It's called recruiting

Reaction Score
I love his game and think he could be very good in college. I want him at UConn but I'm not gonna go crazy if he chooses to go elsewhere, would be kind of surprised if Duke even went after him. Waters is really good but unfortunately for him he is really small. If we get somebody like Alterique there is no reason to go after Waters.
At this point, the only players still around in 2017 would be DHam (unlikely since that would be his senior year) Enoch, and Adams. If Gilbert is the only PG we get in 2016, another PG would still be a need.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Kids don't always go to there favorite school growing up. Ollie will have to convince this kid that he's better off here. It's called recruiting

Exactly, didn't Prince Ali say he had a soft spot for us growing up? Look how that turned out...

Reaction Score
As for academics, Duke is a great school, but to say someone is not a fan of UConn's academics? Well, that's overrating the undergraduate experience.

For the most part, I appreciate your unyielding homerism, but this is laugh out loud ridiculous.

Reaction Score
For the most part, I appreciate your unyielding homerism, but this is laugh out loud ridiculous.

OK, Duke sucks. Happy now?

Or are you talking about UConn's academics (note: I have no affiliation with UConn).

As I wrote, Duke is a top school. But the opening post says the father is dubious or not a fan of UConn's academics. Is that what you're saying? He's justified--if that's even true.

Reaction Score
At this point, the only players still around in 2017 would be DHam (unlikely since that would be his senior year) Enoch, and Adams. If Gilbert is the only PG we get in 2016, another PG would still be a need.
All I meant it Gilbert is 5'9-5'10 and so is Waters, I'm all for small backcourts but that's really small.

Reaction Score
Duke is pretty elite academically if thats what he is looking for. At this rate he can literally chose whatever school he wants if he is top 25, if were him I would look at west coast schools like stanford or ucla. He is pretty use to the prep atmosphere i bet, but if hes never lived in the SOUTH then he's in for a rude awakening. just ask elton brand

Reaction Score
I LOVE this kids game, im convinced he will be amazing no matter where he goes. Hopefully Duke doesnt see things the same way or Ollie is able to convince him that Uconn is where he needs to be. LIke others have mentioned maybe Duke recruits another PG and he has to fall back on another school (maybe us). Either way we have to go after this kid and hope we get him because I think he can be a really special player.

I hope he has a change of heart at some point as time passes by. I feel like he would be a perfect fit at Uconn.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I never really saw the "UConn will be strong in his race" that everyone in the Yard seems to be echoing. I personally think he's going elsewhere, ignoring this post entirely.

Reaction Score
I LOVE this kids game, im convinced he will be amazing no matter where he goes. Hopefully Duke doesnt see things the same way or Ollie is able to convince him that Uconn is where he needs to be. LIke others have mentioned maybe Duke recruits another PG and he has to fall back on another school (maybe us). Either way we have to go after this kid and hope we get him because I think he can be a really special player.

I hope he has a change of heart at some point as time passes by. I feel like he would be a perfect fit at Uconn.

The important thing is that we stay relevant on the national scene and not fall into back to back NIT births ect...Duke coming off a Natty is going to be very sexy to a kid like Waters at the moment. Plus the schools academic rep is outstanding. I still think he will follow a similar path that Bazz did at UConn. Assuming Bazz continues to be an ambassador of the program my guess is TW will end up at UConn. Still quite a bit a time.

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20150324/tremont-waters-looking-to-earn-spot-on-team-puerto-rico

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If this kid lives in CT and his dream school that he's been a fan of his whole life is Duke, I'm glad we arent getting him.

Whenever I see CT kids in Duke gear I vomit in my mouth, stop being an old time front runner, be a new-school front runner and root for your huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Clearly, what UConn has to offer a point guard (Kevin Ollie, Karl Hobbs, Ricky Moore, etc.) is substantial. Guards should take note of UConn's history--Boatright, Napier, Kemba, AJ Price, Ben Gordon, Chris Smith, Khalid etc...

As far as comparing Dook and UConn's recent history at putting PGs in the League, we're being a little disingenuous to say we obviously have more to offer. Waters will look at this past year and see:

Boatright, 4 years, 2nd round pick
vs.
Tyus Jones, 1 year, 1st round pick

Not saying that's how he should evaluate the situation, but that's what's most salient at the moment. He will see himself as the next (or 2nd next) Tyus Jones.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Worth noting we're supposedly strong with two other highly rated local(ish) PGs from 2017: Nate Pierre-Louis and Makai Ashton-Langford. And we've offered a couple of other PGs from that class as well.

Reaction Score
All I meant it Gilbert is 5'9-5'10 and so is Waters, I'm all for small backcourts but that's really small.
Gotchya, thought you were talking about PGs in general.

Reaction Score
Just made a note on my calendar: I'm going to have to log out of the BY for the entire month of November 2016. I can't imagine the sh1tstorm that will hit the board if he commits to Duke.

It's not a boneyard thread if there isn't a stairmaster post bitching about the boneyard.

Reaction Score
As far as comparing Dook and UConn's recent history at putting PGs in the League, we're being a little disingenuous to say we obviously have more to offer. Waters will look at this past year and see:

Boatright, 4 years, 2nd round pick
vs.
Tyus Jones, 1 year, 1st round pick

Not saying that's how he should evaluate the situation, but that's what's most salient at the moment. He will see himself as the next (or 2nd next) Tyus Jones.

I think he will see himself as the next Napier. He is a very very very smart kid. That is the reasonable expectation. Jones is a 1 and done.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
It's not a boneyard thread if there isn't a stairmaster post bitching about the boneyard.

I think it's perfectly fair to "bitch" about people reacting irrationally to life choices made by high school-aged kids. Then again, if you think it's perfectly okay to do so, you have every right to feel that way.

Reaction Score
I think it's perfectly fair to "bitch" about people reacting irrationally to life choices made by high school-aged kids. Then again, if you think it's perfectly okay to do so, you have every right to feel that way.

I'm not saying what's ok and what isn't ok. It just seems like in every thread(especially recruiting oriented) you complain about either the content, tone, or reactions of people on this board. In this one you're not even complaining about actual posts, you're talking about something that hasn't even happened yet.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I'm not saying what's ok and what isn't ok. It just seems like in every thread(especially recruiting oriented) you complain about either the content, tone, or reactions of people on this board. In this one you're not even complaining about actual posts, you're talking about something that hasn't even happened yet.

I take issue with things certain people say, and conversely people take issue with things I say. That's how discourse works. I don't care one iota if you complain about my content, tone, or reactions; that's your opinion of me and it doesn't bother me if it's less than positive. I didn't come here to be liked, I came here to talk UCONN athletics.

Reaction Score
Asked if UConn was his "dream school," Waters paused for a moment and answered: "Well, it's my home state, so, I'd have to say 'Yeah.' Or Duke. Since I was little, I used to watch Duke all the time. They have a ton of point guards that they've produced. I just like the way they play."

That is an ugly quote. I'm all for keeping tabs and recruiting him but certainly hope the staff isn't making him the #1 priority at guard. The dominoes can fall our way for sure, and I don't discount that, but man I hope they cast a wide net. Really ugly quote IMO. Hope the staff has seen that one.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I love this kids game. But I think we're going to prioritize elsewhere - which will be a major let down if this happens.

Reaction Score
Not that it hasn't been heard before but thats not great news. It boggles my mind how a kid can grow up in this state and be a Dukie and not like UCONN, but thats just me. What will make it interesting is Coach K's status at that point. He will be 70 at that time (42 years in). Tremont figures to be a 3-4 year college, its no sure thing Coach K will be around for all or even some of the time he will be there. Better believe that he will hear that from other coaches just like all the negative recruiting our recruits heard towards the end of the Calhoun days.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Several times, terrible city.
I live in Boston now and CT for most of my life. That being said, LA/SoCal is the greatest place on earth and I plan on moving out there as soon as possible. The weather is perfect, the women are beautiful, and life there is just... better. To each his own I guess.

I have always thought, if I was an elite basketball recruit, despite how much I bleed blue, I probably wouldn't go to UConn. Having lived on that campus for 4 years, I almost transferred out after 2 but stuck it out for literally the only two reason: UConn Basketball and being close to family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom