PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why do people always have to make stupid comments to every post on here? Have you ever seen Andre's father?

Did you take biology in high school? If your mother is 5-2 and your father is 5-9 and you're 5-8 at the end of your sophomore year in high school there's a very high probability you're not going to be over 6 feet tall. Not saying it's impossible though, just probable.

My parents are 5'6" and 5'8" and I'm 6'1". I'm pretty sure that's not the norm, though.

Reaction Score
Extremely misleading article title. Waters is actually trying out for the Puerto Rico U17 team, not THE national team.

Reaction Score
Waters is about 5"9 and weighs about 145 lbs. He is very skilled, but must get stronger if he wants to excell at the next level.
Tyler Ulis is 5'9, 155 lbs and he's very effective. They are also ranked in about the same place in their respective classes. They aren't the same player but it's not unprecedented to be successful in college at that size.

Reaction Score
Why do people always have to make stupid comments to every post on here? Have you ever seen Andre's father?

Did you take biology in high school? If your mother is 5-2 and your father is 5-9 and you're 5-8 at the end of your sophomore year in high school there's a very high probability you're not going to be over 6 feet tall. Not saying it's impossible though, just probable.
I think people don't understand basic statistics, like the concept of probability and even what a percentage is. Forget about the normal distribution curve or what an outlier is.

They always point to an outlier (like a one star becoming a pro or McDonalds All American being a bust) and then say things like stars don't mean anything. NO THOSE ARE OUTLIERS. The more stars the higher the probability the player will be good.

Just like you will probably lose the lottery if you buy a ticket the fact a few win the lottery doesn't negate the fact you will probably lose.

Reaction Score
I think people don't understand basic statistics, like the concept of probability and even what a percentage is. Forget about the normal distribution curve or what an outlier is.

They always point to an outlier (like a one star becoming a pro or McDonalds All American being a bust) and then say things like stars don't mean anything. NO THOSE ARE OUTLIERS. The more stars the higher the probability the player will be good.

Just like you will probably lose the lottery if you buy a ticket the fact a few win the lottery doesn't negate the fact you will probably lose.
Half of my field is established and based around developmental norms so I definitely know my way around basic stats. Just because I want to make the caveat of outliers doesn't mean I don't. Wasn't negating the chance that the kid is done growing.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I don't care how tall he gets - in fact I like that he's short. Means that no matter how good he is, he's staying at least three years and very likely four.

Ulis is the most important recruit in this UK class for that reason. He's going to run that team until he graduates, and with Cal's ability to get top talent around him, they are going to be ridiculous for quite a while.

Reaction Score
I don't care how tall he gets - in fact I like that he's short. Means that no matter how good he is, he's staying at least three years and very likely four.

Ulis is the most important recruit in this UK class for that reason. He's going to run that team until he graduates, and with Cal's ability to get top talent around him, they are going to be ridiculous for quite a while.
Very good point. I think the height of a PG is much less an issue in college than it is in the NBA. If you can have a guy like Waters for 4 years that's usually better than having a bigger pg for 1-2 years.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Very good point. I think the height of a PG is much less an issue in college than it is in the NBA. If you can have a guy like Waters for 4 years that's usually better than having a bigger pg for 1-2 years.
Yup. That's why I was so bummed when he chose UK over Michigan State. I've got no special love for Sparty, but damn I hate UK.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

I certainly agree about the first part...second part as well although it disgusts me greatly!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Tyler Ulis is 5'9, 155 lbs and he's very effective. They are also ranked in about the same place in their respective classes. They aren't the same player but it's not unprecedented to be successful in college at that size.

Yeah, it can actually be a plus, since they stay longer. If Boat was 6'3" he wouldn't have had a senior season.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
If Boat was 6-3 he probably wouldn't have had a sophomore season.
And his freshman season would have been in Lexington, Lawrence or Chapel Hill.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
We should be the last ones to talk about guard heights. All last tournament we heard how some other team's taller guards were going to wreak havoc on Napier and Boatright, when instead those guys went around or through anyone in their path.

Reaction Score

Exactly. We should be lucky enough to land Waters! Kid looks crazy skilled, he's going to be a baller at the college level imo.

Reaction Score
Exactly. We should be lucky enough to land Waters! Kid looks crazy skilled, he's going to be a baller at the college level imo.
He is a lot of fun to watch and pretty tough too....

Reaction Score
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to The Yard, but a longtime reader, a fellow graduate of State U (2009) and a tried and true bleed bluer. With that said, since I am new to this, I understand that I will have to earn your trust and therefore, understand if you take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt (and apologize in advance if this isn't "new" news).

Anyhow, yesterday, I spoke with someone close to Tremont Waters. Unfortunately, the news as it relates to UConn isn't good. The person I spoke with, who happens to be an coach (and someone I trust), informed me that Tremont's dad is not a fan of UConn one bit and that both he and Tremont's dream school is...DUKE! Apparently academics are a big part of their decision.

Needless to say, this significantly ruined my Thursday, and after a series of expletives, I asked the coach if there was any chance whatsoever we get him. He walked away after emphatically stating, "I honestly don't think you guys are gonna get him."

Reaction Score
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to The Yard, but a longtime reader, a fellow graduate of State U (2009) and a tried and true bleed bluer. With that said, since I am new to this, I understand that I will have to earn your trust and therefore, understand if you take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt (and apologize in advance if this isn't "new" news).

Anyhow, yesterday, I spoke with someone close to Tremont Waters. Unfortunately, the news as it relates to UConn isn't good. The person I spoke with, who happens to be an coach (and someone I trust), informed me that Tremont's dad is not a fan of UConn one bit and that both he and Tremont's dream school is...DUKE! Apparently academics are a big part of their decision.

Needless to say, this significantly ruined my Thursday, and after a series of expletives, I asked the coach if there was any chance whatsoever we get him. He walked away after emphatically stating, "I honestly don't think you guys are gonna get him."

I think people already know Duke is his dream school.

That being said, why is he at UConn so much? Clearly, what UConn has to offer a point guard (Kevin Ollie, Karl Hobbs, Ricky Moore, etc.) is substantial. Guards should take note of UConn's history--Boatright, Napier, Kemba, AJ Price, Ben Gordon, Chris Smith, Khalid etc...

As for academics, Duke is a great school, but to say someone is not a fan of UConn's academics? Well, that's overrating the undergraduate experience.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just made a note on my calendar: I'm going to have to log out of the BY for the entire month of November 2016. I can't imagine the sh1tstorm that will hit the board if he commits to Duke.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing, and welcome.

Yeah, your story kind of confirms this quote from a while back: http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2014/12/a-few-words-with-tremont-waters-tyler.html

Asked if UConn was his "dream school," Waters paused for a moment and answered: "Well, it's my home state, so, I'd have to say 'Yeah.' Or Duke. Since I was little, I used to watch Duke all the time. They have a ton of point guards that they've produced. I just like the way they play."

That quote is just strange when comparing the quality of point guards from UConn and Duke, although Kyrie Irving probably has a bigger presence in the NBA than any of our PGs.

Still, 2017 is a ways away, and Ollie does have a lot of access to Waters since he is in CT. So hopefully we can reel him in.

Reaction Score
Duke will go hard after Troy Brown Jr. (2017) and how the Thorton thingy shakes out we shall see. Waters is going to be a great college player though wherever he lands. He probably wouldn't get the lead PG role at Duke or UConn until his Soph year. I love this kid though! :)

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
We always get our guards. Duke could easily recruit a Troy Brown and that would take them out of the Waters race. I'm not worried either way.

Zach Brown is the most important get that year. Easily.

Reaction Score
I love his game and think he could be very good in college. I want him at UConn but I'm not gonna go crazy if he chooses to go elsewhere, would be kind of surprised if Duke even went after him. Waters is really good but unfortunately for him he is really small. If we get somebody like Alterique there is no reason to go after Waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom