PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American) | Page 24 | The Boneyard

PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What are you basing that on?
Just the interviews and when he was on the radio show. Obviously I could be wrong, and i very well may be, but he just didn't come across like one of those players. Like I've read alot of interviews of kids saying they are waiting for UK and Duke to offer.

Reaction Score
If he goes elsewhere those were definitely carries.
LOL! I'd be lying if I didn't admt that I thought he had two big time carries there. I'm not sure many D1 refs would let that go. With that said, he shows some remarkable lateral movement and quickness.

I hope he has developed a special relationship with KO. If not, I wouldn't get too attached to him based on the nature of recruiting and how last summer and fall went down.

I'm at most cautiously optimistic.

Reaction Score
ALTERIQUE GILBERT – 6’0 – POINT GUARD – MILLER GROVE – CP3 ALL-STARS – 2016
Gilbert has the burst that is hard to find and the ball pressure that forces many errant passes as a tough defender. He can single-handedly change the outlook of any given contest with his 94-feet type of pressure and on Wednesday, he did just that. He helped bring his squad back into the game as they were looking at a double digit defeat and it was his full court pressure that made things go. He can set others up in the lane via on-point drop off passes to his bigs and has the body to score through contact off his feet. Gilbert didn’t score it a ton, but he sure did a great job of running his team at the lead guard spot.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=2981

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Since ollie got here he's coached and played with kemba bazz Drummond boat and daniels. That's a great list in only what 4-5 years? Oh and Ray Allen, Rudy gay, rip, Drummond etc always come visit and play pick up. Durant, iver son and lebron love KO. LET'S GOO!!!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I agree with you guys above ^^^. I don't think it's ever good to go beyond "cautiously optimistic" in recruiting or you are likely setting yourself up for a big steaming heap of disappointment.

I don't get the logic. If we didn't express our wish to get AG on our team as strongly, we would be better of how? Gilbert would be more likely to choose UConn? No. Or are you just concerned about our feeling disappointed?

Don't worry. I can handle disappointment. And I really, really. hope he comes here.

Reaction Score
Wow Gilbert just said Louisville is a major player in his recruitment and he plans to visit there in August. I swear if Louisville takes VJ King, Alterique, and Hamidou from us.....

Reaction Score
ummmm.....yeah.......time kills all deals? When was that visit again?

Reaction Score
Next? Who are we going to say was our #1 if this kid ends up play for the don of louisville?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Louisville being on all our guys lately is simple to explain. UL under Pitino has recruited a similar "tough, hard nosed" type players that UConn also targets, while the caveat being they are in a major conference in the ACC and get the added exposure of being the main rivals of the hottest program in the America. As a recruit, when it comes to UConn vs UL, for them it's an easy choice. I don't expect UConn to walk away with Gilbert, and put our chances at an honest 40% odds be comes to UConn. We got on him early so he obviously had lots of nice things to say about us and Ollie, but when major P5s get involved things look different.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to start playing the old man card with Pitino the same way he played it in the media, and no doubt on the recruiting trail, with Calhoun.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Someone needs to start playing the old man card with Pitino the same way he played it in the media, and no doubt on the recruiting trail, with Calhoun.
And with Coach K. He's 69. No way he's going to be there in 3-4 years.

Reaction Score

Louisville is looking for a top point guard in the 2016 class and Alterique Gilbert is one of Rick Pitino’s top recruiting targets.

The shifty Gilbert has narrowed his list to five programs — Louisville, UConn, Syracuse, Texas and Illinois. He’s made an official visit to UConn but says that doesn’t make the Huskies his leader.

In fact, Gilbert said Thursday night at the NBA Camp that Louisville is a big factor in his recruitment and he’s considering visiting the Cardinals this summer before making a decision.

“As right now I haven’t scheduled anything, but it’s a definite possibility,” Gilbert told InsideTheVille. “I’m talking to Coach (Kenny) Johnson a lot, and also Coach Pitino. I’m looking into the opportunity.”

Gilbert, No. 36 nationally by 247Sports, maintains weekly communication with Louisville assistant Kenny Johnson.

“They’re talking about coming in right away and having the opportunity to have a big impact on the game,” said Gilbert. “I like that. He’s (Pitino) told me I remind him of Peyton Siva and Russ Smith. That’s a big statement to me.”

Five-star forward VJ King’s recent commitment to Louisville could pay big dividends for the Cardinals in Gilbert’s recruitment.

“I’m talking to VJ a lot,” Gilbert said. “I’ve watched him the past couple years and I like him a lot. That was a big move for Louisville to get VJ. I’m definitely looking into that opportunity.”

A ball hawking defender who can get into the paint and create seems a perfect fit for Pitino’s fullcourt pressing system.

“I like to play defense a lot and I think I would fit into that program,” Gilbert said. “My high school plays fullcourt and I like it a lot. I actually like playing defense.”

While UConn set the bar high for Gilbert during his first official visit, the Huskies aren’t necessarily the team to beat.

“I wouldn’t say they’re the lead dog,” Gilbert said. “I would say all five schools are at the same level, but I like UConn a lot.”

What was Gilbert’s biggest takeaway from his trip to UConn?

“I learned a lot,” said Gilbert. “They showed me a lot of things about basketball on and off the court. I had a lot of fun there.”

Several important factors will help Gilbert pick a college, but early playing time likely tops the list.

“The opportunity to come in right away and play, academics and my relationship with the coaches (are key factors),” Gilbert said. “The history of the program — is it a winning program? I look at all of those things.”

Though Gilbert could visit Louisville before July he’ll probably check out the Cardinals the first week of August.

“I’m taking my time with the process,” Gilbert said. “My timetable will definitely be before September.”

Reaction Score
I think we lead still. But we have lost a ton of ground.
Why do you think that is, because we couldn't close the deal and now more teams are involved and coaches in his ear?

Reaction Score
Hearing other staff call an insane amount. (Uconn not as much) ville is putting a full press on him.

Reaction Score
Hearing other staff call an insane amount. (Uconn not as much) ville is putting a full press on him.

This sounds like B.S. I don't buy it even a bit. There is no way our staff is inept enough to let our #1 target feel unappreciated. I think the fact that we have "lost steam" is due to the fact that his best offers when he visited us were Illinois and Miami, and now everyone wants a piece.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
"UConn not as much"... That's something you'd think the staff has control over. Between that and losing touch with Bruce Brown you have to scratch your head a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom