PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When you want to play college basketball, I imagine getting a call from a hall-of-fame coach like Rick Pitino telling you that he wants you to be his PG, I'd imagine you'd be pretty enthusiastic about it. That's completely understandable.

UConn is in a good spot with Gilbert, and there's a clear need for a player like him in 2016. KO clearing up the NBA rumors should help, too.

Also, here's a quote from Jalen Adams' coach when Louisville offered. Similar things to what Gilbert's coach said:

"I think he's excited," Adams AAU coach Vinny Pastore told Cardinal Authority. "He's followed Louisville basketball and sees what type of dynamic players they have. One of the reasons he likes Louisville is that he can see himself playing for Pitino and playing the way Louisville guys do."

Connecticut, Creighton, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Minnesota are among the many others to offer Adams. The offer takes the interest another step higher for Adams.

"Once they offered him it becomes serious," Pastore said. "It puts a different spin on things. Until you get that offer there's not any sense thinking to much about it.

"Now that he has that offer, it really makes it something to really thing about. They have a national championship and the style of play those guys run at Louisville is great."

Adams committed to UConn two days after that Louisville offer.

Reaction Score
I'm happy he is waiting to commit, the last handful of recruiting years I recall 5 guys who committed before May entering their senior season: Prince Ali (flipped to UCLA), Turtle (flipped to Georgia), Moe Harkless (flipped to St. John's), Alex Oriakhi (mumu), and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel (only memorable play = Pitt rebound). I think Omar Calhoun may have been pretty early in the process too? Now I'm not saying Gilbert would be a mumu or eventual transfer or decommit if he committed this early, and would gladly take him, but I just don't like our recent track record here. The extra few months of evaluation tend to pay off. With that said, please commit.

Reaction Score
I'm happy he is waiting to commit, the last handful of recruiting years I recall 5 guys who committed before May entering their senior season: Prince Ali (flipped to UCLA), Turtle (flipped to Georgia), Moe Harkless (flipped to St. John's), Alex Oriakhi (mumu), and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel (only memorable play = Pitt rebound). I think Omar Calhoun may have been pretty early in the process too? Now I'm not saying Gilbert would be a mumu or eventual transfer or decommit if he committed this early, and would gladly take him, but I just don't like our recent track record here. The extra few months of evaluation tend to pay off. With that said, please commit.

Yo bro, that's called confirmation bias.

We'd be better off with him committing than not.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You forgot the kid who ended up as a freshman at DePaul the year we won title #3.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
His coach seems to think the kid is enthused with his Cardinal offer. That blows. But hey, long cycle can't worry about these as we know.

Guess I would just say would you rather be Russ Smith/Ceva or Kemba Walker?

Was it Jalen Adams who got an offer from Louisville prior to committing? It's not the same situation exactly, but if it were me I might like to see the OKC job filled before making a choice. You just never know, but it would be nice to land this kid. I do get the changing and less hopeful situation as he climbs into more prominence nationally.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
His coach seems to think the kid is enthused with his Cardinal offer. That blows. But hey, long cycle can't worry about these as we know.?

Who wouldn't be excited about an offer from Louisville? The article was written today, the day he received it, so of course he's "enthused". He didn't say they were his leader or that he no longer was "enthused" about UCONN. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Each passing day with Gilbert contributes to the narrative of staff being unable to close. Several instances where we were in lead, get visit, and miss. Need to halt that asap.

Do you have any opinion on what the problem is or what the staff can do or is doing to change these results? Or do they just say "Next!" like the Yard.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
When you want to play college basketball, I imagine getting a call from a hall-of-fame coach like Rick Pitino telling you that he wants you to be his PG, I'd imagine you'd be pretty enthusiastic about it. That's completely understandable.

UConn is in a good spot with Gilbert, and there's a clear need for a player like him in 2016. KO clearing up the NBA rumors should help, too.

Also, here's a quote from Jalen Adams' coach when Louisville offered. Similar things to what Gilbert's coach said:

"I think he's excited," Adams AAU coach Vinny Pastore told Cardinal Authority. "He's followed Louisville basketball and sees what type of dynamic players they have. One of the reasons he likes Louisville is that he can see himself playing for Pitino and playing the way Louisville guys do."

Connecticut, Creighton, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Minnesota are among the many others to offer Adams. The offer takes the interest another step higher for Adams.

"Once they offered him it becomes serious," Pastore said. "It puts a different spin on things. Until you get that offer there's not any sense thinking to much about it.

"Now that he has that offer, it really makes it something to really thing about. They have a national championship and the style of play those guys run at Louisville is great."

Adams committed to UConn two days after that Louisville offer.
louisville offense is erratic and nauseating... their defense is like playing fifa, you hold turbo, A and B at the same time to create chaos and not show that you can play defense... that's how i play fifa

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Pitino probably was hoping the KO to OKC would hang so the kid would just cross UConn off the list.
When KO officially said no, Pitino obviously had to offer right away
I know some on this board laugh at conspiracy theories but these coaches know how to play the head games and when guys like The Squid, K and Pitino talk, people listen. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if some college coach planted that KO to OKC seed real hard

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Don't disagree but wouldn't a squid to the NBA rumor or a Coach K to retire, loosen up a lot more talent than AG?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Although Louisville just got involved with Gilbert, he seems like the backup plan to some of their other targets. UConn has identified Gilbert as their #1 target at PG. Hopefully, that helps.

Someone should tweet that to him.

caw

Reaction Score
Although Louisville just got involved with Gilbert, he seems like the backup plan to some of their other targets. UConn has identified Gilbert as their #1 target at PG. Hopefully, that helps.

It also appears his AAU coach likes Ollie quite a bit and is Nike affiliated, UL is Adidas.

I would be shocked if Smith went to UL.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Here's the problem - the kid is good.

UConn will have to beat out everyone who recruits just under that Duke/UK level for the kid.

They're all in on him, though.

Reaction Score
Here's the problem - the kid is good.

UConn will have to beat out everyone who recruits just under that Duke/UK level for the kid.

They're all in on him, though.
Need to win some of these now that title has worn off. I think we'll be ok because of Ollie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak