Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
days
Hasn't been a good Norwalk kid since Calvin Murphy! BTW why didn't he go to UCONN?
In those days Niagra, St. Bonavanture, & Canasius were considered big time programs. Matter of fact, when the BE was formed, Syracuse wanted their arch rival (at that time) St. Bonavanture, to join the BE. Gavitt was more into teams with big TV market followings. Olean didn't provide that.
That changed the entire eastern collegiate hoops perception.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Trust me, John Adams ran away with your purse

Kid looks good. Love to have a little CT representation on the team.

Reaction Score
Another local name to keep an eye on is Tyrique Jones from Bloomfield, he is transferring to Vermont Prep and reclassifying to 2016. Kansas State, Texas Tech and URI have offered so far but it sounds like he is just scratching the surface. His offensive game is raw but he's 6'8 240 and an exceptional athlete, I think it's safe to say many high majors will come calling in the future.

Reaction Score
Another local name to keep an eye on is Tyrique Jones from Bloomfield, he is transferring to Vermont Prep and reclassifying to 2016. Kansas State, Texas Tech and URI have offered so far but it sounds like he is just scratching the surface. His offensive game is raw but he's 6'8 240 and an exceptional athlete, I think it's safe to say many high majors will come calling in the future.
I saw him play in the state tourney last year, caught a lob from half court and finished it. He was an imposing presence but I'm not quite sure if he is at the level of being an impact player at D1.

Reaction Score
Was just going to ask that. How could a kid playing basketball in CT not be a UConn fan!
I have found that there are/were a lot of basketball people in CT that didn't like Calhoun because he "neglected CT kids". I remember getting into this heated debate with a youth coach from Manchester, who was going on, and on, about a kid from Manchester that ended up at BU. His name may have been Chaz Carr or something like that. This guy, who was good bball player for a man his age (mid 40s), and a coach himself could not accept that a 150lb kid, probably wasn't going to get recruited at the uconn level, irregardless of the fact that he could 360 slam dunk.

I think there were a few cases where Calhoun whiffed on Ct kids, Gomes, Murray Williams nephew come to mind, but overall he did a fair job. Problem is, as UConn became a national program, it seemed like everyone felt "dissed" if their local hs hoops star didn't get a look from UConn. People in WTBY were pissed that Calhoun, didn't recruit Jerome Malloy who went to UMass under Cal before transferring. Malloy himself when I asked him about UConn told me, " UConn" in hallway back in HS.

Reaction Score
I've always wondered that, and why he went to Niagra instead of a UK or Dukeish school at that time. He was a national high school player of the year. How'd he end up at Niagra?

Murphy was a nationally-known baton twirler in high school and wanted to attend a school where he could play basketball and pursue his baton twirling - enter the Buffalo Bills, he twirlered during their half-time shows and became an All-American at Niagara.

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction - Niagara was only school which fit his wishes - first-class coach (Frank Layton) and a place to twirl.

Reaction Score
Murphy was a nationally-known baton twirler in high school and wanted to attend a school where he could play basketball and pursue his baton twirling - enter the Buffalo Bills, he twirlered during their half-time shows and became an All-American at Niagara.

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction - Niagara was only school which fit his wishes - first-class coach (Frank Layton) and a place to twirl.

I was certain you were making this up... Then I googled it and this popped up -->

That is some obscure trivia that I never would have guessed in a million years.

Reaction Score
Calvin Murphy was the man, hall of fame bball player, amazing baton twirler and at 5'8 no NBA player would mess with him. Calvin also had a sweet handlebar mustache and Jim Lampley had a lovely unibrow.

Reaction Score
I was certain you were making this up... Then I googled it and this popped up -->

That is some obscure trivia that I never would have guessed in a million years.

Thanks for confirming my wife's opinion that I have a head full of useless information passing as trivia:)

Reaction Score
CM did twirl at UCONN. I remember seeing him twirl at Memorial Stadium during the half time of a football game back in the mid 60's. I assume he was in HS.

Reaction Score
I have found that there are/were a lot of basketball people in CT that didn't like Calhoun because he "neglected CT kids". I remember getting into this heated debate with a youth coach from Manchester, who was going on, and on, about a kid from Manchester that ended up at BU. His name may have been Chaz Carr or something like that. This guy, who was good bball player for a man his age (mid 40s), and a coach himself could not accept that a 150lb kid, probably wasn't going to get recruited at the uconn level, irregardless of the fact that he could 360 slam dunk.

I think there were a few cases where Calhoun whiffed on Ct kids, Gomes, Murray Williams nephew come to mind, but overall he did a fair job. Problem is, as UConn became a national program, it seemed like everyone felt "dissed" if their local hs hoops star didn't get a look from UConn. People in WTBY were pissed that Calhoun, didn't recruit Jerome Malloy who went to UMass under Cal before transferring. Malloy himself when I asked him about UConn told me, " UConn" in hallway back in HS.

The truth is there are very few impact players who left CT that he wasn't trying to get involved with……The Gomes and William's of the world were obviously not whiffs but pure luck by the coaches who took the chance. We've had a few of our own in that regard…….CT coaches should worry about doing a better job and making their kids better because quite honestly there weren't many in the 90's worth looking at……..

Reaction Score
Those were some interesting years for college basketball with both Calvin Murphy and Pistol Pete Maravich putting up better than 40 points/game. Both guards and both doing it without the benefit of the 3 point shot. Amazing!

Reaction Score
Norwalk High's address was 23 Calvin Murphy Dr. in his honor up until very recently. He came back to the school and wanted some memorabilia that the school had put on display. The administrators refused, and the feud culminated in the school removing that honor. Still highly revered in these parts, however. He and Mo Vaughn are Norwalk's claim to athletic fame.

Reaction Score
I know he was a standout at Pangos but can't seem to find any game film of Enoch. What's his game like?

Reaction Score
Crazy that this kid has blown up. My only memory of him was a teacher yelling at him for throwing a snowball at some kid a couple years ago :) Incredible how far he's come and I want this kid at UConn!! He projects as a 4 at the next level so getting him doesn't hinder our chances for the package deals.

Reaction Score
He didn't even play varsity as a sophomore, kid is only 16 and it sounds like he's just scratching the surface. KO sign Mr. Enoch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom