PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14) | Page 24 | The Boneyard

PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The pretty simple point is that some of the crowing about the Diarra commitment would be a little more warranted if some heavy hitters had prioritized him and we beat them out for the kid. You can tie yourself in knots arguing that that's not the case but it's not persuasive.

O. What BS

I've been watching recruiting with some degree of interest since the early 90s, there's lots of contra to this. Only the TRUE one&done are really accurately evaluated at this stage. Even Superplayers from our past BLEW up at a comparable stage. You just don't know. You hope Ollie et al have some extra evaluative skill.

Reaction Score
It's early enough, still May, that we just don't know how much interest Diarra would have drawn. Compare him to Jeremy Lamb. Texas was his only only major offer, and they offered in August, he visited in September, committed to UConn a week later. He was ranked 79 on Rivals in the final rankings, probably ranked even lower in the Spring.

Reaction Score
upstater said:
It's early enough, still May, that we just don't know how much interest Diarra would have drawn. Compare him to Jeremy Lamb. Texas was his only only major offer, and they offered in August, he visited in September, committed to UConn a week later. He was ranked 79 on Rivals in the final rankings, probably ranked even lower in the Spring.

DHam's offers were still mostly the likes of Colorado State, USC and UTEP when he committed to us. Better ones would have obviously come, and he was ranked much higher than Diarra, but it shows that the list of who you beat is pretty meaningless. There's are a lot of great players we got early (Lamb, Napier, Oriakhi, DHam, Adrien) before it would have maybe become more difficult (Bynum too, but that proved meaningless). And another list of guys we got on the rebound late (CV, KEA, DD, Boat) when we maybe didn't go up against heavier hitters in the traditional recruiting period. Plus a few great players we only had to beat lightweights for (Gordon over Seton Hall, Okafor over Arkansas, Kemba over Cincy, Caron over UNLV). And Drummond showing up in August was just a weird scenario.

Obviously, you want to assemble a great roster, and it can take a number of possible means to to that point - sometimes it's winning a tough recruiting battle, but sometimes it's a keen eye early in the process, or opportunism when players open up late (or transfer).

Whether Diarra turns into an example of a keen eye remains to be seen. But we had a chance to get someone who seems to be a good, active big with some rebounding prowess before folks got a closer look at him on the summer circuit. I don't think you pass that up to wait and see what else comes down the pike when you have 10 or more roster spots to fill in two years.

Reaction Score
He was ranked 79 on Rivals in the final rankings, probably ranked even lower in the Spring.

I'm pretty sure he was ranked a lot lower. After his commitment I remember reading articles saying his recruitment was mid major until he blew up at the Peach Jam.

caw

Reaction Score
DHam's offers were still mostly the likes of Colorado State, USC and UTEP when he committed to us. Better ones would have obviously come, and he was ranked much higher than Diarra, but it shows that the list of who you beat is pretty meaningless. There's are a lot of great players we got early (Lamb, Napier, Oriakhi, DHam, Adrien) before it would have maybe become more difficult (Bynum too, but that proved meaningless). And another list of guys we got on the rebound late (CV, KEA, DD, Boat) when we maybe didn't go up against heavier hitters in the traditional recruiting period. Plus a few great players we only had to beat lightweights for (Gordon over Seton Hall, Okafor over Arkansas, Kemba over Cincy, Caron over UNLV). And Drummond showing up in August was just a weird scenario.

Obviously, you want to assemble a great roster, and it can take a number of possible means to to that point - sometimes it's winning a tough recruiting battle, but sometimes it's a keen eye early in the process, or opportunism when players open up late (or transfer).

Whether Diarra turns into an example of a keen eye remains to be seen. But we had a chance to get someone who seems to be a good, active big with some rebounding prowess before folks got a closer look at him on the summer circuit. I don't think you pass that up to wait and see what else comes down the pike when you have 10 or more roster spots to fill in two years.

Yeah but DHam ended up at a true blue blood in UCLA.

Reaction Score
I'm the opposite - the nails on a chalkboard for me are the folks that want to rationalize that it's acceptable to be in the AAC. When you're in a conference with a wacky amalgamation of schools that have zero common reference point it's a bad deal. Spin that there could be 3 top 25 teams all you want, the conference is filled with schools that aren't well known nationally and in most cases arent flag ships in their own state.

Conference affiliation won't determine our on court success in the short term, even if the AAC affiliation can be a recruiting disadvantage, but how people can convince themselves that there is potential in this conference while knowing what is driving college athletics is beyond me.

If it's simply case of being optimistic, congratulations, I wish I had wherewithal to look at it positively.

Sorry to add to the conference affiliation part of this thread which is so far off topic from the great news of MD coming aboard.
it's reality... if it makes things easier for you, just go away!!! go root for Ohio State or Michigan or Texas. They're all in better conferences.
I didn't choose the AAC. but that's where Uconn is today. And as long as they're in the AAC, I'll pull for that conference. When they move to a P5 conference, which I hope is soon, I'll root for that conference.

Reaction Score
Kentan was way up there until about mid-January as well. I bet he surprises folks this year - ideal "energy big" off the bench.
Simply put, our offense, or lack of it, swallowed Kentan up. We never ran any sets for him and when we started a play with 10 seconds left on the shot clock, the ball never really went below the foul line. I believe in this kid and I feel outside of a select(elite) few, Kentan has the most upside. I also believe that by coming off the bench with more of a second unit, he will become a more viable option and his production will show it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom