Penn State administrators lied to grand jury, failed to report sexual assault | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Penn State administrators lied to grand jury, failed to report sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Most studies generally agree that the percentage of child molesters in the homosexual population is about the same as the percentage of child molesters in the general population. And since homosexuals are a small percentage of the total population around 3%, you are much less likely to find a homosexual child molester than you are a heterosexual child predator. Or put another way, 97% of the child molesters are heterosexuals.

More importantly (for this conversation) if you increased the number of homosexuals in a population you would NOT increase the incidence of child molestation.

In short, being gay friendly has no effect on molestation.

Reaction Score
Thanks for pointing it out. It was a good story.

It's actually a bad story. Sara Ganim has so much more on what happened at that time. Wetzel seems completely unaware of the preliminary trial testimony in which McQueary reported what he saw to a well-known doctor who was called in the evening of the rape. This testimony may or may not make it to this trial since I'm not sure how it will exactly pertain to Sandusky, but it will certainly be included in the trial of the two PSU admins. This testimony has been the main reason why so many people hold McQueary accountable. There has already been one weird moment in the trial where McQueary's father has claimed that he remembers verbatim what his son told him the night of the rape. But in the same testimony today his father said he never gave pretrial testimony for the case, and if he had, he can't remember giving it. The pretrial happened a few months ago. Bizarre.

Reaction Score
It's actually a bad story. Sara Ganim has so much more on what happened at that time. Wetzel seems completely unaware of the preliminary trial testimony in which McQueary reported what he saw to a well-known doctor who was called in the evening of the rape. This testimony may or may not make it to this trial since I'm not sure how it will exactly pertain to Sandusky, but it will certainly be included in the trial of the two PSU admins. This testimony has been the main reason why so many people hold McQueary accountable. There has already been one weird moment in the trial where McQueary's father has claimed that he remembers verbatim what his son told him the night of the rape. But in the same testimony today his father said he never gave pretrial testimony for the case, and if he had, he can't remember giving it. The pretrial happened a few months ago. Bizarre.
Please explain the significance of McQueary's discussions with the doctor.

Reaction Score
Please explain the significance of McQueary's discussions with the doctor.

Dranov (the doctor) claimed that McQueary didn't tell him the details of what he saw, and Dranov (even as a doctor who frequently referred abuse cases to police) told McQueary that what he saw didn't rise to the level where he should report abuse. Obviously, it did! The reason people in PA. heaped a lot of abuse on McQueary is because there have been questions about how forthcoming he was. Even McQueary's father testified in the prelims that his son did not reveal anything about sex with him. His father reported that his son told him he saw a boy peer out from a shower stall and a man's arm reach out to grab him and pull him inside. Remember, Paterno said that he knew from McQueary's countenance that something serious and sexual had occurred. The two administrators reported that they were told it was fondling. Now, why fondling would not be reported is in itself bizarre, but so far, there are a range of questions that have come out in testimony that have confused people. As for Sandusky, one wonders why he even bothered to take this to court. I can only assume he did it to have an additional 6 months of freedom, but surely he should have pleaded last week.

Reaction Score
Gotta protect this football program man......

Even if I had the time to follow this trial I could not, because it would make me homicidal. Officials of this school, including their beloved coach, had every reason to believe that children were in harms way and did not do all that could be done to protect them. Arguably, they even chose to look away. So to me the next logical question is why? And the most logical answer is that they were looking to protect the image of their almighty football program.

That culture was and probably still is absolute poison. The word shameful doesn't even begin to describe the behavior of this leadership.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No, that's the thing... I have... but equating homosexual consenting adults with kiddie rapists is absurd, offensive, and f#cking stupid.

Because they were encouraging homosexual tolerance and freedom somehow that influenced the cover up? HORSESH#T. This is a story about bad men with power and alot to lose and abused boys with no power getting raped.

Homosexuality has no part in this discussion and its offensive that this Husky68 dude would even go there...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I found Frank Ivy's race rant more troubling. He starts with a reasonable point regarding the efficacy of affirmative action and then drifts into race baiting.

Reaction Score
Ever hear of Alfred Kinsey of Indiana University? Last I checked, IU is still doing well.

Crazy that we opened our new stadium against IU. :confused:

Reaction Score
Ever hear of Alfred Kinsey of Indiana University?

Glad to see this discussion has finally returned to football. The latest word is that Kinsey will start at tight end but may also play special teams.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Husky68. You earn points for the length of Spackler and the over the top insanity of Smithers, but you are docked for a lack of HFD /'s and Pudge's random capital letters.

There is no possible way that was serious... right?

WTF? Don't suck me into Husky68's bigotry.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If any program ever deserved the death penalty, it is Penn State.

Reaction Score
Addressing only the first couple of posts and not the rest:

1. Palatine's post is weirdly old. I thought this was an old thread.

2. If you're following the trial on the specific issues addressed in this thread, you should realize that not only was the former AG and now Gov. apprised of the 1999 case, he was the one that squashed it despite the protests of PSU university police detectives. Furthermore, the person that relayed the AGs wishes to DA Gricar at the time is the current prosecutor against Sandusky. This is really a small world they have over there. Now, the current Gov. may be feeling some exposure over this, but given the statement of the original psychologist and the testimony of victim #6 absolving Sandusky, I'm not certain what they had to go on.

3. The AG claims that Schultz was withholding evidence in a secret file. The fact is, the evidence was sourced through ex-FBI director's investigation for PSU as they found computer files (emails) on a PSU server. Schultz is long retired. He doesn't have access to PSU servers. In fact, ex-President Spanier has been trying to get access but has been denied. This is purely PSU property. Are these secret files? Seems to me they are old emails recently discovered.

4. The leaks about the emails so far show that Sandusky was not reported in 2001 because Spanier said the "humane" thing to do was to avoid reporting. This decision appears to have been arrived at after PSU conducted an investigation, consulted psychologists, legal experts. That's what the leaks say. My questions: who are these psychologists, legal experts, investigators, and what ties do they have to PSU that would make them part of the cover-up? I'm not doubting that they may have indeed conspired, but they certainly put their reputations at risk, as did the psychologist in the 1999 case. A lot of people knew about this stuff in 1999 (the AG, assistant AG, DA, PSU police chief, investigators, child services). Did they all drop the ball?

5. If PSU reported Sandusky in 1999 but not in 2001 when he was no longer coach then what is the difference between the two? Can we say that when he was reported in 1999 (and was still coach) that they were less concerned with the status of the football program than in 2001 when he wasn't a coach anymore? That's what I've always wondered. What's the difference?

6. A lot of the conspiracy theories have now been undercut by the actual testimony. Earlier, people like Dan Bernstein of the Chicago Sun-Times surmised three conspiracies:

a. The rape in 2002 was hidden because PSU had just experienced multiple losing seasons and thus was afraid its program was going under. But, the revision of the dates of the rape shows that they had only one losing season, 2000, and the year before they were ranked #1 as late as November.

b. Paterno had a real estate deal with board members of the Second Mile that was closing in mid-2002, and therefore kept things quiet. The revision of the rape date shows that the dates no longer mesh for this conspiracy theory.

I'm waiting to see what these emails say, seems there may be a cover-up (Spanier saying the "humane" thing) but of course, the prosecution calling these emails "secret" gives me pause, especially since the governor himself has been mentioned as an actor in the case. There are political concerns here as well.

It would not surprise me if Spanier covered this though since the 1985 case of an emeritus professor molesting a teen in Maryland was presented to him in 2002, and when the boy-turned-man offered to send Spanier an audiotape of a phone call in which the professor admitted it, Spanier denied him and said keep your tape. Spanier was always in CYA mode. Wouldn't surprise me if he did the same thing with the Sandusky info in 2002.

Reaction Score
It's so disgusting and horrific, the serial molestation and rape of children, preying on children with little or no family support system through a public service structure meant to HELP children like that? and the level of coverup and failure to do anything to stop it, by people with more than enough power to do something, about it, for so long....

Penn state is forever tarnished - very badly - in my opinion. Only thing that will remove that stain for me, is a complete sterilization from the BOT on down through the athletic department all the way to the custodians, and starting with new people that have never been to state college before. My opinion, that would get me to have a clean slate look at Penn State after this.

But - that I have very little to no interest in following the case anymore, and I'm not the only one. It's a big deal, upstater's breakdown is the first I've looked at this thing in a long time. I'm not the only choosing not to look, but I'm realizing that I have to, no matter how ugly it is.

That's a f9cking hard thing to do in this world where the general population has become so numb to news, images, and reports of the traditional evils......violence, sex, drugs, etc, to create a situation that actually makes people NOT want to pay attention.

I remember when the movie Die Hard came out, and the media was outraged that a movie would show the images (fake - of course) of an entire plane crashing and the deaths of so many people inside that fictitious plane. It was all over the news. Big hullaballoo, how can people let something like that happen? How can people let others make a movie showing the deaths of so many people?

Now you've got the serial rape of children and molestation, REALITY, happening for God only knows how long, right in the middle of the crown jewel in the state of pennsylvania (Penn State University) and a level of coverup and failure to act, that extends all the way up the governor of the state. How can people let THIS happen?

People need to know what happened at Penn State. This thing should be all over the news, and people shoudl be forced to watch it, no matter how disgusted they are, so that people like Sandusky, are stopped.

Reaction Score
It's so disgusting and horrific, the serial molestation and rape of children, preying on children with little or no family support system through a public service structure meant to HELP children like that? and the level of coverup and failure to do anything to stop it, by people with more than enough power to do something, about it, for so long....

Penn state is forever tarnished - very badly - in my opinion. Only thing that will remove that stain for me, is a complete sterilization from the BOT on down through the athletic department all the way to the custodians, and starting with new people that have never been to state college before. My opinion, that would get me to have a clean slate look at Penn State after this.

But - that I have very little to no interest in following the case anymore, and I'm not the only one. It's a big deal, upstater's breakdown is the first I've looked at this thing in a long time. I'm not the only choosing not to look, but I'm realizing that I have to, no matter how ugly it is.

That's a f9cking hard thing to do in this world where the general population has become so numb to news, images, and reports of the traditional evils......violence, sex, drugs, etc, to create a situation that actually makes people NOT want to pay attention.

I remember when the movie Die Hard came out, and the media was outraged that a movie would show the images (fake - of course) of an entire plane crashing and the deaths of so many people inside that fictitious plane. It was all over the news. Big hullaballoo, how can people let something like that happen? How can people let others make a movie showing the deaths of so many people?

Now you've got the serial rape of children and molestation, REALITY, happening for God only knows how long, right in the middle of the crown jewel in the state of pennsylvania (Penn State University) and a level of coverup and failure to act, that extends all the way up the governor of the state. How can people let THIS happen?

People need to know what happened at Penn State. This thing should be all over the news, and people shoudl be forced to watch it, no matter how disgusted they are, so that people like Sandusky, are stopped.

You do realize the administrators in question are all gone, correct?

Reaction Score
I agree. That football program should be shut down, and start from scratch with new people.

??????????????????

Not sure what you're getting at here. Bill O'Brien is the new coach, Paterno is dead, all the coaches save one have been fired, and he was a new hire that came on years AFTER Sandusky coached there. The old AD is gone as well and also his assistants.

Reaction Score
Goes to show how much I've paid attention. It's a good start. I/m not changing my mind on the death penalty thing. I think that once the verdict comes down, if it's clearly demonstrated that people in position of power to stop Sandusky, didn't do it, to protect hte penn state football program - the football program should be shut down for at least a year.

SMU got the death penalty in 1987 for corruption around recruiting and promoting their football program that consisted mostly of paying players and giving them sports cars.

If it's proven in court that Penn State promoted their football program by covering up and allowing the continuing serial child rape and molestation of children ON CAMPUS IN THE LOCKER ROOM!!! Well - do I need to say more?

Reaction Score
I don't know how anyone can walk into that locker room at Penn State and not feel sick. Do players and coaches still actually use the same locker room facility? The same showers? The entire locker room facility should be destroyed. I'm not joking. You can scrub that shower room with the most powerful solvent on God's green Earth and the stains Sandusky left won't go away.

Yes - if the same thing happened at UConn, if some coach was found raping a young boy in the locker room shower, I'd hope that people would handle it differently than what was done at Penn State, and I would not be opposed to tearing the facility down too.

I have never faced such an evil of human life, so I have no idea how I'd respond, and I hope I never do, but if I did, I hope that I would do better.

Reaction Score
It is kind of ironic that our hoops program is being assaulted by the NCAA because of unallowed text messages, APR scores, and tips from player's mother's ex boyfriends........and yet the NCAA won't step in and do a damned thing about higher ups in a University covering up child rape.

Reaction Score
It is kind of ironic that our hoops program is being assaulted by the NCAA because of unallowed text messages, APR scores, and tips from player's mother's ex boyfriends........and yet the NCAA won't step in and do a damned thing about higher ups in a University covering up child rape.

Especially considering the text message limits have been eliminated. No doubt. ESPN would be calling for our scalps by now.

Reaction Score

My guess, is that the NCAA probably has no legal grounds to do anything as long as it remains clearly a criminal matter that happens to have occurred in the middle of the Penn State football program. But I'm pretty sure that all changes, if in a court of law, sworn testimony, current or former university officials are saying that their motives for doing what they did, was to protect the university athletic department and specifically, football program.

I think that once the verdicts are in, that's when the NCAA starts to take a real close look at things. Good God Almighty, if it's clear after this case, that one of the motives behind the length of time that passed before Sandusky was shackled for his behavior was to protect the Penn State football program and the NCAA does the equivalent of a slap on the wrist - when they shut down an entire university 25 years ago for giving players money and cars?

well, then, you might find me on the other side of the fence with the southern folks about how they feel about the NCAA as a governing structure of intercollegiate athletics.

Reaction Score
My guess, is that the NCAA probably has no legal grounds to do anything as long as it remains clearly a criminal matter that happens to have occurred in the middle of the Penn State football program. But I'm pretty sure that all changes, if in a court of law, sworn testimony, current or former university officials are saying that their motives for doing what they did, was to protect the university athletic department and specifically, football program.

I think that once the verdicts are in, that's when the NCAA starts to take a real close look at things. Good God Almighty, if it's clear after this case, that one of the motives behind the length of time that passed before Sandusky was shackled for his behavior was to protect the Penn State football program and the NCAA does the equivalent of a slap on the wrist - when they shut down an entire university 25 years ago for giving players money and cars?

well, then, you might find me on the other side of the fence with the southern folks about how they feel about the NCAA as a governing structure of intercollegiate athletics.

It will depend on the emails that the university has found.

Until those are revealed it will be difficult since Sandusky wasn't a coach when this occurred and there is considerable question about what McQueary actually told the administrators. The trial has already had some crazy moments of inconsistency. Yesterday I wrote that I wasn't sure if the doctor he met with the night of the rape was going to testify or not, but apparently it's been revealed today that the doctor Dranov is a defense witness. We'll have even more information about what McQueary told people in the next few days. Dranov is already on record testifying during the preliminaries 7 months ago. We'll see if he contradicts his earlier testimony by backing McQueary's version.

Reaction Score
It will depend on the emails that the university has found.

Until those are revealed it will be difficult since Sandusky wasn't a coach when this occurred and there is considerable question about what McQueary actually told the administrators. The trial has already had some crazy moments of inconsistency. Yesterday I wrote that I wasn't sure if the doctor he met with the night of the rape was going to testify or not, but apparently it's been revealed today that the doctor Dranov is a defense witness. We'll have even more information about what McQueary told people in the next few days. Dranov is already on record testifying during the preliminaries 7 months ago. We'll see if he contradicts his earlier testimony by backing McQueary's version.

Forgive me if I'm overstepping, but the tone I get from reading you, makes me concerned. You seem a little too excited about what may or may not be found in thsi case, and how it applies to the University, rather than justice being done.

If the tone I get from you, in any way, represents the average penn state follower, that makes me really worried.

I think you need to try to separate yourself, at least try to mentally, from whatever connection you've got to PSU and realize what this is. It's the trial of an accused serial child molester and rapist, that preyed on children with weak family support, through a civil service organization that he himself helped establish, who's mission it was.....was to help children with weak social support systems and used his own status as a public personality to promote itself.

That's what it is. What makes it relevant to the intercollegiate world, is that the institution, that gave the man his public status to build that organization, which he used to find his prey......appears to have had direct knowledge of what was happening, and was actively involved in covering up the activity.

The state university of pennsylvania, and any government officials of the state of PA that are proven to have obstructed the apprehension of Sandusky on a criminal matter, deserve every bit of punishment allowed, from every direction it can come from.

Reaction Score
Death penalty won't happen. Spare yourself all the typing.

Reaction Score
Death penalty won't happen. Spare yourself all the typing.

Agreed. I like typing though.

The NCAA made a mistake in 1987 with SMU, that they've never really recovered from. If a program did deserve such a penalty, Penn State.....IF.....Sandusky is convicted, and it's proven that University officials were motivated to obstruct by their interests in protecting the football program.....which has yet to be proven as this trial isn't over yet........IF....that all happens, Penn State would be the first university to deserve such a punishment.

The pattern of behavior at an instituion of higher learning that could allow such a thing to occur, is just to heinous.

So, death penalty? Highly doubtful.

I'll tell you what though, the NCAA is an institution that has it's own problems and battles it's fighting, and once the court case is over, if PSU officials are proven to have done what I just wrote, what the NCAA does to levy punishment will go a long way to either really strengthen itself as an organization, or really weaken itself, by giving a lot of new people, reason to join the ones that already have had enough.

A lot of IF's right now, that change to WHEN,.....when the verdict is in, and the testimony is on record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom