Penn State administrators lied to grand jury, failed to report sexual assault | The Boneyard

Penn State administrators lied to grand jury, failed to report sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The university's director of athletics, Timothy Mark Curley, 57, and senior vice president for finance and business, Gary Charles Schultz, 62, are each charged with single counts of perjury and failure to report, according to a news release from the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office. Schultz position includes oversight of the university police department. Curley and Schultz are scheduled for arraignment Monday in Harrisburg.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_administrators_lied.html

Reaction Score
Well, what else were they going to do........put the football program at risk of bad press?

Honestly, this whole thing sickens me. I will never look at Penn State football in the same light. It's an institution and leadership that completely lost sight of the difference between right and wrong and allowed children to stay in harm's way.............so their football teams would continue to be good........duck* that!

Reaction Score
Has to be more than just to protect the football team. The "most hospitable campus in the nation to homosexuals" as aimed by the University President has to cause hiring/promoting/ignoring actions by those down the line in keeping with this. How many people buck the higher ups and last very long.

Reaction Score
Has to be more than just to protect the football team. The "most hospitable campus in the nation to homosexuals" as aimed by the University President has to cause hiring/promoting/ignoring actions by those down the line in keeping with this. How many people buck the higher ups and last very long.

You can't be serious.............

Reaction Score

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you actually stating that Sanduskey was covered up because it would be bad publicity for homosexuals? If so, do you have a single piece of evidence to support that?

Reaction Score
Look, Penn State has done some great things and grew as an institution under Joe Paterno's reign, but right now it all looks to be for naught. Penn State is a place where football came before decency and protecting innocent children.

This isn't Pell Grants, or buying Reggie Bush's parents a house. This is seriously messed up.

Happy Valley needs to take a few years off from football. Self imposed. Maybe go shop for a moral compass or two after the riots subside.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you actually stating that Sanduskey was covered up because it would be bad publicity for homosexuals? If so, do you have a single piece of evidence to support that?

I would like to report to businesslawyer, an officer of the court, that my statements made are from public statements by the former University president and how I've noted how organizations conform to higher ups interests; and that I have no evidence in this case that should be turned over to the courts.

Very simple, didn't say had evidence on anything, just read #1 and have observed #2:
1. president wants the most homosexual friendly campus in the country (Sandusky is accused of illegal sexual acts against same sex youths).
2. if you want to stay in an organization you do not buck what is important to the higher ups and over time you will be hired and promoted because you support what higher ups value.

Seems to be conventional wisdom that protecting the Penn State football team was "important to higher ups"; this is adding one more "important to the highest up person who was fired for his handling and praise of others in their handling of this matter" to the mix. Doubt if' actions by those involved were all due to any "one" reason such as protect Penn State football, but probably many, including just being lazy and trying to take the easiest and least risky actions related to how the hierarchy of Penn State (up to the President) would view their actions.

In case you missed the 1st sentence in the post "Has to be more than just to protect the football team"; so your "do you still beat your wife" straw dog question of: 'Are you actually stating that Sanduskey was covered up because it would be bad publicity for homosexuals?" is not what I said.

If you had asked "are you stating in an organizational environment where it was known that the President of the University wanted the most homosexually friendly campus in the country and all his subordinates knew this that any subordinate who needed to bring forward information to the President that was negative to BOTH Penn State football AND to maintaining the most homosexually friendly campus in the country would best be served by avoiding doing this and making it go away? Then you would be asking a question related to what I posted and I would have been able to answer you.

If Sandusky was found having sex with a 10 year old girl by the assistant coach, presumably this would have gone down differently and presumably it would have been due to the sex of the victim (non homosexual event). Don't remember any "inside jokes at College Park about Sandusky and little girls". Not saying for sure as have no evidence to prove this, just sayn'.

pj

Reaction Score

I suppose what he's saying is: If Sandusky has relations with an 18-year old player, and you object, then you get in trouble for failing to provide a friendly environment for homosexuals. If Sandusky has relations with a 17-year old player, which is objectionable, and you say nothing, nothing bad happens, unless you're Joe Paterno. And if you don't know whether the player is 17 or 18? Then it's a heads you lose, tails you gain nothing situation. Some people may choose to keep their head in the sand and pretend they saw nothing.

Reaction Score
This argument is ridiculous. If the university president had said, "We want to be the most hospitable campus to heterosexuals" does anyone actually think that someone could/should/would take that as an implicit message to bury an investigation into a male faculty member that was having sex with elementary school girls? The president was clearly talking about legal relationships between consenting adults, not illegal relationships with children.

Reaction Score
This argument is ridiculous. If the university president had said, "We want to be the most hospitable campus to heterosexuals" does anyone actually think that someone could/should/would take that as an implicit message to bury an investigation into a male faculty member that was having sex with elementary school girls? The president was clearly talking about legal relationships between consenting adults, not illegal relationships with children.

I think you've said all that needs to be said. Thanks.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Husky68,

never_go_full_retard.jpg

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm wiling to bet the PSU president, if he did say such a thing, it was sometime after 2001-02.

Reaction Score
I would like to report to businesslawyer, an officer of the court, that my statements made are from public statements by the former University president and how I've noted how organizations conform to higher ups interests; and that I have no evidence in this case that should be turned over to the courts.

Very simple, didn't say had evidence on anything, just read #1 and have observed #2:
1. president wants the most homosexual friendly campus in the country (Sandusky is accused of illegal sexual acts against same sex youths).
2. if you want to stay in an organization you do not buck what is important to the higher ups and over time you will be hired and promoted because you support what higher ups value.

Seems to be conventional wisdom that protecting the Penn State football team was "important to higher ups"; this is adding one more "important to the highest up person who was fired for his handling and praise of others in their handling of this matter" to the mix. Doubt if' actions by those involved were all due to any "one" reason such as protect Penn State football, but probably many, including just being lazy and trying to take the easiest and least risky actions related to how the hierarchy of Penn State (up to the President) would view their actions.

In case you missed the 1st sentence in the post "Has to be more than just to protect the football team"; so your "do you still beat your wife" straw dog question of: 'Are you actually stating that Sanduskey was covered up because it would be bad publicity for homosexuals?" is not what I said.

If you had asked "are you stating in an organizational environment where it was known that the President of the University wanted the most homosexually friendly campus in the country and all his subordinates knew this that any subordinate who needed to bring forward information to the President that was negative to BOTH Penn State football AND to maintaining the most homosexually friendly campus in the country would best be served by avoiding doing this and making it go away? Then you would be asking a question related to what I posted and I would have been able to answer you.

If Sandusky was found having sex with a 10 year old girl by the assistant coach, presumably this would have gone down differently and presumably it would have been due to the sex of the victim (non homosexual event). Don't remember any "inside jokes at College Park about Sandusky and little girls". Not saying for sure as have no evidence to prove this, just sayn'.

I'm not sure I've ever been more disgusted reading this board...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Husky68. You earn points for the length of Spackler and the over the top insanity of Smithers, but you are docked for a lack of HFD /'s and Pudge's random capital letters.

There is no possible way that was serious... right?

Reaction Score

I'm disgusted at the matter of fact way you equate an entire group of decent people who were created by God slightly different than you (I assume), with a predatory pedofile who was protected presumably by a bunch of straight men and possibly women. Please get out of your computer room and start interacting with people outside your plastic bubble.

I'm also on board with BL that this can now clearly be proven as an institution that was out of control in a premeditated way for an extended period of time. One can only hope that the cone of protection that Joe Paterno provided the administration, the institution and the FB team has finally been ripped away. Any shred of credibility the NCAA might still have depends on it.

Reaction Score
Husky68. You earn points for the length of Spackler and the over the top insanity of Smithers, but you are docked for a lack of HFD /'s and Pudge's random capital letters.

There is no possible way that was serious... right?

I would love to hear the answer to this. Oof.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Wetzel over at Yahoo has a pretty good read on how the higher ups at Penn State were a-okay setting up McQueary to be one of the fall guys in all this. Pretty despicable. Not as despicable as Sandusky, but still. Feel a bit bad for McQueary.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I've ever been more disgusted reading this board...

You obviously haven't been reading the board very long or very thoroughly.

Reaction Score
Wetzel over at Yahoo has a pretty good read on how the higher ups at Penn State were a-okay setting up McQueary to be one of the fall guys in all this. Pretty despicable. Not as despicable as Sandusky, but still. Feel a bit bad for McQueary.
Thanks for pointing it out. It was a good story.

Reaction Score
You obviously haven't been reading the board very long or very thoroughly.

No, that's the thing... I have... but equating homosexual consenting adults with kiddie rapists is absurd, offensive, and f#cking stupid.

Because they were encouraging homosexual tolerance and freedom somehow that influenced the cover up? HORSESH#T. This is a story about bad men with power and alot to lose and abused boys with no power getting raped.

Homosexuality has no part in this discussion and its offensive that this Husky68 dude would even go there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc