Paxton: Report from the first day of practice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paxton: Report from the first day of practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Paxton's quote from Hamilton was very telling and shed some light on the issues last year. Was somewhat surprised Hamilton said what he did.

Some good stuff from Paxton with his notes of the first practice.

Reaction Score
I think the maturity level will be monster come tournament time. This team could be very, very good. We'll see how they gel or meld together.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Here's something evil

dougjim.jpg

This is so perfect. If you UCONN actually did make statues of former coaches, this would get my vote.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is the opposite of what we want.

Yeah, that was a necessary stylistic design to cover up our deficiencies in the interior these past few years.

Reaction Score
This is the opposite of what we want.

eh, i agree you want your bigs grabbing boards. but i think we have guards that are quick enough and athletic enough to get in there and help out. If Dham, Purvis, Gibbs or Adams grabs and board and can immediately start the fast break its going to be a lot faster than if Amida grabs a board, finds a guard to safely get the ball too so that the guard can then start the fast break. With the bigs throwing passes to guards steaking up court, we stand to have alot more turnovers. I think we'll see a mix of both of these situations.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
eh, i agree you want your bigs grabbing boards. but i think we have guards that are quick enough and athletic enough to get in there and help out. If Dham, Purvis, Gibbs or Adams grabs and board and can immediately start the fast break its going to be a lot faster than if Amida grabs a board, finds a guard to safely get the ball too so that the guard can then start the fast break. With the bigs throwing passes to guards steaking up court, we stand to have alot more turnovers. I think we'll see a mix of both of these situations.

If a guard is boarding, he's already behind the play. UConn wants the bugs to make the outlet to an already breaking guard.

Reaction Score
The most ideal thing in modern hoops is having your 4 man rebound and push the rock , not a stretch four but a playmaking four ... a la draymond green ( he can also stretch the floor). really puts the defenses on their heels when they make a pass to the guard already in attack mode at half court. but i mean rebounding guards aren't bad either, i would hope they push the tempo when they snag it. Can't wait to see millers rebounding ability, huge hands.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The most ideal thing in modern hoops is having your 4 man rebound and push the rock , not a stretch four but a playmaking four ... a la draymond green ( he can also stretch the floor).
This is also effective:

The point I think both of us are making is that if our bigs can really, really clean the glass, that allows one of the guards to leak out. We weren't able to do that the past two years because we were not a good defensive rebounding team.

With Miller, and an improved Hamilton & Brimah, we should be. And that should equal fast break points for Purvis.

Reaction Score

Passing is faster than running. Guards staying back to get defensive rebounds prevents a fast break because there's no one to throw the ball ahead to.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I expect DHam and Miller to be fighting each other for the boards. Brimah, it's more of a finger and hand strength situation rather than upper body. The ball often touches his hands and he doesn't end up with it. I don't know if that can be taught, he should be walking around with one of those old fashioned hand squeezing deals.
I'm not sure I buy this. He seems more than able to grab a DHam alley oop and slam it down. I think his issue is partly a lack of timing when to go for blocks versus when to set up for a box out and be ready for a rebound, partly because his long arms make it easy for opposing players to lock up, and partly because he loves blocking so much he doesn't think rebound.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
There are still some unhappy people who hold grudges against JC and is 'lackadaisical' running of the program.
I'm sure you are referring to UConn fans versus the media or opposing teams fans. You know what they say. You can please some of the people...........

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The most ideal thing in modern hoops is having your 4 man rebound and push the rock , not a stretch four but a playmaking four ... a la draymond green ( he can also stretch the floor). really puts the defenses on their heels when they make a pass to the guard already in attack mode at half court. but i mean rebounding guards aren't bad either, i would hope they push the tempo when they snag it. Can't wait to see millers rebounding ability, huge hands.
Kentan was a really good rebounder but he had no clue about positional defense. Phil was great at positional defense but he wasn't quick enough to do much outside of staying glued to his player. DHam was the best overall option at the four but he was easily manhandled by big fours and putting him at the four reduced a lot of the fast break options.

Miller was a huge get because on paper he plugs the one glaring weakness on last years team. If Gibbs, Miller and Jalen can integrate quickly with the returning players this team will be extremely exciting to watch. And if Miller is a great outlet passer, and if Dham can determine when to go for boards and when to leak this team can be great with the fast break.

Reaction Score
Passing is faster than running. Guards staying back to get defensive rebounds prevents a fast break because there's no one to throw the ball ahead to.

Agreed, if the bigs can throw outlet passes without turning the ball over. I agree thats how you want it to be. Bigs grab the boards and toss it up to a guard that is already running full steam ahead towards the hoop. Maybe that will be easier this year with longer guys running down the court?

I think our guards can start fastbreaks all on their own too though. I remember Purvis many times getting a board himself and just rocketing past the defense and to the hoop for a layup or dunk. Also if a guard grabs the board and a big or 2 gets running up the court, that sets up alot of alley oops opportunities which should also play into our favor. I think there are many different mixes of what we can do on offense, i think our team is extremely versatile offensively, so i'm not even remotely worried about the offense. We just have to play good defense.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Agreed, if the bigs can throw outlet passes without turning the ball over. I agree thats how you want it to be. Bigs grab the boards and toss it up to a guard that is already running full steam ahead towards the hoop. Maybe that will be easier this year with longer guys running down the court?

I think our guards can start fastbreaks all on their own too though. I remember Purvis many times getting a board himself and just rocketing past the defense and to the hoop for a layup or dunk. Also if a guard grabs the board and a big or 2 gets running up the court, that sets up alot of alley oops opportunities which should also play into our favor. I think there are many different mixes of what we can do on offense, i think our team is extremely versatile offensively, so i'm not even remotely worried about the offense. We just have to play good defense.
Kemba also comes to mind.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"I look at the new guys, I look at the veteran guys, I look at everybody, so everybody is getting evaluated," Ollie said. "The coaching staff is getting evaluated. We are always going to get better. They are evaluating me. We have an open policy of challenging in here, so at any time you can get challenged. You can't take it personally. You have to step your game up for UConn."

:)

Reaction Score
I expect we will run more and it's all linked to defense which is KO's priority. The key to this whole thing plain and simple is Miller, he rebounds and kicks out the break. AB did not do that well, hell he didn't get the rebound, but that's OK because he will be better this year. As a team we held our own with other teams but this year we should be up significantly. Too much talent to press all the time, it's not KO.

Reaction Score
It amazes me how Brimah couldn't rebound a lick and we won a National Championship with him...

Reaction Score
It amazes me how Brimah couldn't rebound a lick and we won a National Championship with him...
Let's see, Brimah 13 minutes, 4 rebounds, 1 block, 0 points. Nolan 0 points, 1 rebound. We outrebounded Kentucky by 1. All you need is Giffeye, Daniels, Bazz and Boat. AB would give us much more in a championship game this year, it would be night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom