Paxton: Report from the first day of practice | The Boneyard

Paxton: Report from the first day of practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
"Oh we are going to run, definitely going to run," said Ollie, who also preached "UConn tough" to all the players during the lengthy practice. "I was very disappointed in our tempo (last season). I think that was like 305 (in the country), so we got to run, we got to push the pace.

I think this is the team Ollie has envisioned, being able to press and get out in transition right away... this is going to be a fun team to watch... they're fast, big, talented, and athletic

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, it's good to see Ollie continues Coach Calhoun's Guyer gym first day tradition. I sometimes wonder if the Werth Center cuts down on the Gampel home court advantage since the shooting background and rims don't become so much second nature. I know last season Ollie would still have practices in Gampel - especially right before home games to get that feel.

Reaction Score
D'Oh? We're going to run a lot this year?
charlie-brown.jpg

Reaction Score
Does one really have to ask that question?
I know but Ollie only seems like a nice guy, I think he transforms into something evil at practices.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it's good to see Ollie continues Coach Calhoun's Guyer gym first day tradition. I sometimes wonder if the Werth Center cuts down on the Gampel home court advantage since the shooting background and rims don't become so much second nature. I know last season Ollie would still have practices in Gampel - especially right before home games to get that feel.
Chief, its funny you mention that because it has run through my mind before. When I knew they were building this practice facility, I always hoped they wouldnt neglect Gampel for those same reasons. One way to look at it is the team only practices at the Civic Center the day of games and its still proven to be a home court advantage for us with all the big games we have won there in thr past. But I still think its important for the team to get reps in Gampel on a regular basis. Especially for the new guys

Reaction Score
Brimah 7 feet tall and cant rebound worth a lick

too bad transition basketball isn't solely on the shoulders on the centers to snag defensive rebounds (brimah is an above average offensive rebounder) , theres a thing called semi transition or in other terms ' faster tempo'. that has everything to do with guards being good in the open floor as passers and more importantly ball handlers... playmakers. yall focus so much on rebounding ( something uconn wasn't terrible at last season) , playmaking in the open floor is even more important for the teams success as an uptempo team.

Reaction Score
too bad transition basketball isn't solely on the shoulders on the centers to snag defensive rebounds (brimah is an above average offensive rebounder) , theres a thing called semi transition or in other terms ' faster tempo'. that has everything to do with guards being good in the open floor as passers and more importantly ball handlers... playmakers. yall focus so much on rebounding ( something uconn wasn't terrible at last season) , playmaking in the open floor is even more important for the teams success as an uptempo team.

No doubt playmaking has a part but the reason we focus on rebounding is because it is #1 on fast breaking basketball and nothing is close. Now you can certainly be an "up tempo" team with great guards and pushing the pace no doubt but true, running transition basketball is predicated off of good rebounding and good outlet passing. I guess my question would be seeing Daniel Hamilton rebound and then go coast-to-coats, would you consider that true transition or playmaking. Like it or not a rebound, an outlet to the hash or half court then a pass to a cutting leaker (you can leak when you can rebound ask Donny Marshall, Scott Burrell) is true transition and getting out. I will settle for them pushing the tempo more again too but would love to see them make teams pay. I know everyone remembers the 95 team who were running after made shots too. I mean they made you pay if you celebrated a dunk or turned your back after the opponent scored - fast inbounds 2 passes and a lay up or dunk. Thats' "running" to me.

Reaction Score
I think on the defensive end we are going to see alot more of the guards grabbing boards, much like we saw with Kemba and Boat. If the Gaurds (and DHam) are grabbing boards they can instantly start the fast break. I'm just really excited about what our team holds on the defensive end. Yea running and getting fastbreak points is important and nice, but i feel like this team can score in the open court or in half court sets. We have shooters, guys that can break the d down off of the dribble, we can pick and roll and pick and pop, and penetrate and dish out for open shooters, and even some post ups. I think unlike last year, our offense is not a thing of concern. If the defense is good though, we are bringing home another chip this year. Everything, hinges on the defense, including our fast break offense.

Reaction Score
It has been brought up before but hopefully Miller's rebounding will allow this team to get out in transition more consistently. I like Brimah as a player but he definitely leaves something to be desired as a rebounder (he's not totally hapless, but it's not a strength). If Miller can come in and get 7-9 per game, that would be amazing.

Reaction Score
I expect DHam and Miller to be fighting each other for the boards. Brimah, it's more of a finger and hand strength situation rather than upper body. The ball often touches his hands and he doesn't end up with it. I don't know if that can be taught, he should be walking around with one of those old fashioned hand squeezing deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom