OT: - Patriots Hire Coach Jerod Mayo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Patriots Hire Coach Jerod Mayo

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I have no idea if Mayo will work out or not - every successful head coach was a first year guy at one point - but John Harbaugh was a special teams coach. Whoever Mayo puts in charge of the offense is way more important than the fact that he played linebacker. And, honestly, finding a competent QB, some skill players, and a capable offensive line is more important than that. They could reanimate Curly Lambeau and he's not going to the playoffs with the roster they had this year.

I'm honestly shocked he's not back next year - and I lost a fairly significant bet with my brother in law about it. But we'll see what happens. I do feel less nervous about NE burning the 3rd pick on a safety from Springfield College now.
Pats need some receivers badly

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Heard a good point somewhere a few days ago before the firing, someone was speculating and said “okay, you’re the pats, and you fire Belichick. You’re looking around for the best available candidate for the job, and it’s Bill Belichick.”

I imagine they didn’t know about Pete Carroll’s firing and had this move in mind before the firing happened. Idk if they would want a retread on him anyway though.

What tells you the GM needs to go? Seems to me the big issue is that Belichick was kind of running the show
Your first quote, which I also saw, is the reason the GM (Bill) had to go. There isn't anybody who thinks he can't coach. He certainly had some great offenses and defenses.

The only real issue is modernizing the personnel/scouting approach. Patriots are the only team in the NFL with no analytics department. They had the smallest coaching staff in the league. It reminds me of Moneyball. Every MLB team now does what Billy Beane did. It's that way in the NFL, with one holdout, Bill. He likes the old school scouting and "feel" evaluation, and honestly, with defensive players, he still nails it more than most. With offense? He misses. He also doesn't pay attention to draft values. Strong looks like a good LG, great, but you could have had him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

That stuff had to stop. Now it will (I hope).

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Your first quote, which I also saw, is the reason the GM (Bill) had to go. There isn't anybody who thinks he can't coach. He certainly had some great offenses and defenses.

The only real issue is modernizing the personnel/scouting approach. Patriots are the only team in the NFL with no analytics department. They had the smallest coaching staff in the league. It reminds me of Moneyball. Every MLB team now does what Billy Beane did. It's that way in the NFL, with one holdout, Bill. He likes the old school scouting and "feel" evaluation, and honestly, with defensive players, he still nails it more than most. With offense? He misses. He also doesn't pay attention to draft values. Strong looks like a good LG, great, but you could have had him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

That stuff had to stop. Now it will (I hope).
With these statements in mind (and I agree 100%) does Bill accept a HC without also being GM?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
With these statements in mind (and I agree 100%) does Bill accept a HC without also being GM?
He's not going to have a choice if he wants to break Shula's record. Rumors are that the Falcons want him.

Reaction Score
He has to if he wants to expand the number of teams coveting him which also would give him leverage in contract negotiations. Only a really desperate team would allow him to also be the GM along with being their coach.

Reaction Score
I'm always one to say that you need a plan. I think the Pats have a plan and they are working the plan. I bet they already know who the GM will be. The problem is, I think it's Jonathan's plan and don't think he's the goods.

The brother of one of my partners is buddies with Kraft the elder and has never had a positive thing to say about Jonathan.

Reaction Score
It's kind of goofy to assume Jerod Mayo will fail just because he is a defensive coach. Look no further than what the Texans did with DeMeco Ryans this year. Ryans crushed it when he filled out his staff, specifically when he hired Bobby Slowik. It's gonna be important for Mayo to do the same. They also made a fantastic decision on Stroud.

In a larger sense though, the Patriots future fully depends on who they hire as GM, which QB that guy decides on, and how to manage the ridiculous amount of cap space the team has. Jerod Mayo is like 10% of the total equation.

Any Pats fan should be far more worried about Jerod Mayo having a steep learning curve as a first time head coach, rather than him struggling because he is a "defensive coach."

Reaction Score
Wow … the boneyard knows all about basketball AND football too! One thing I’m surprised that nobody has said … Hurley was a defensive minded crappy offense coach for a while … until he wasn’t. Hire some guys, get some players, and be open to learning.

Mayo may or may not be ok, but Boneyarders might not know all.

Reaction Score
Well yeah. Ryans drafted the next Mahomes and got very lucky with Nico Collins, Noah Brown and Tank Dell. Unlikely to be repeated anytime soon.

Reaction Score
People put too much stress on whether a coach is an offensive coach or a defensive coach. The best head coaches are CEO's and have faith and delegate to their co-ordinators. Belichick, Parcells, Ditka, Cowher and many others started as special teams coaches. ST coaches might have the toughest jobs. They don't have their own players. They take the players the other coaches allow them to use. Most times it is'nt the teams biggest stars.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I think Mayo will be fine. Possibly very good. He gets solid marks for leadership and brining people together. He's not very much like Bill at all. It's the GM that I am worried about, and the OC hire

I am happy with Mayo as the choice, I just think it was a mistake to decide that last year rather than interviewing guys this year. Mostly because it hampers your ability to bring in an outside GM, which they desperately need.
I like to brine people separately; it makes them more tender than if you throw a whole batch in at once...

Reaction Score
It's kind of goofy to assume Jerod Mayo will fail just because he is a defensive coach. Look no further than what the Texans did with DeMeco Ryans this year. Ryans crushed it when he filled out his staff, specifically when he hired Bobby Slowik. It's gonna be important for Mayo to do the same. They also made a fantastic decision on Stroud.

In a larger sense though, the Patriots future fully depends on who they hire as GM, which QB that guy decides on, and how to manage the ridiculous amount of cap space the team has. Jerod Mayo is like 10% of the total equation.

Any Pats fan should be far more worried about Jerod Mayo having a steep learning curve as a first time head coach, rather than him struggling because he is a "defensive coach."
The only reason Demecco Ryan's works is because they drafted CJ stroud. I would've preferred an offensive minded coach because there is a greater likelihood that the patriots would be successful drafting a QB this year. It isn't impossible but I don't have much confidence. Especially since Jerod mayo has been referred to as Bill 2.0. It isn't that it can't happen is just that offensive head coaches have been running this league for a number of years now and great defensive coaches are starting to look like the horse and buggy in the age lf the automobile.

If the Patriots already had their QB this would be a great hire. This is too good of a QB draft to have a new boss thats the same as the old boss.

Reaction Score
The only reason Demecco Ryan's works is because they drafted CJ stroud. I would've preferred an offensive minded coach because there is a greater likelihood that the patriots would be successful drafting a QB this year. It isn't impossible but I don't have much confidence. Especially since Jerod mayo has been referred to as Bill 2.0. It isn't that it can't happen is just that offensive head coaches have been running this league for a number of years now and great defensive coaches are starting to look like the horse and buggy in the age lf the automobile.

If the Patriots already had their QB this would be a great hire. This is too good of a QB draft to have a new boss thats the same as the old boss.

And a major reason that Stroud is so successful is that DeMeco knocked it out of the park when he hired his OC, Bobby Slowik. It's not as simple as "Stroud is amazing and therefore so is DeMeco."

C.J. Stroud had an amazing rookie season for 2 reasons. 1-He's an awesome player. 2- DeMeco made the right choice when hiring his OC.

There's nothing to suggest that Jerod Mayo doesn't have the ability to hire an impactful OC.

Which by the way, with the Patriots picking at #3, they have a great opportunity to add offensive talent.

It's also worth noting that the Texans GM (the guy who selected Stroud) is former Pats front office member Nick Caserio. The Texans and the Pats operate and think very similarly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And a major reason that Stroud is so successful is that DeMeco knocked it out of the park when he hired his OC, Bobby Slowik. It's not as simple as "Stroud is amazing and therefore so is DeMeco."

C.J. Stroud had an amazing rookie season for 2 reasons. 1-He's an awesome player. 2- DeMeco made the right choice when hiring his OC.

There's nothing to suggest that Jerod Mayo doesn't have the ability to hire an impactful OC.

Which by the way, with the Patriots picking at #3, they have a great opportunity to add offensive talent.

It's also worth noting that the Texans GM (the guy who selected Stroud) is former Pats front office member Nick Caserio. The Texans and the Pats operate and think very similarly.
Since Tom Brady left, I'm not sure how anyone can put this much faith in the Patriots. I'm a pats fan, but I wanted bill fired last year because this was the inevitable direction the team was going. Nothing about hiring Mayo makes me think we have taken a turn in the right direction... Hope I'm wrong but feel strongly that I'm not.

Reaction Score

They're 10-7 because they had the #2 pick and took Stroud and Stroud is awesome.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
All the Patriots beat guys were angling for Vrabel. looks like Vrabel wasnt even a possibility given it was in Mayo’s contract that he was the successor.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They're 10-7 because they had the #2 pick and took Stroud and Stroud is awesome.
In large part, yes. Coaching as well. But they were worse last year than New England is this year. They are also helped by playing in a weak division this year.

Fortunes rise and fall quickly in the NFL. Rams win superbowl, stink the next year. Teams that play games with the cap to “go for it”, like Miami, are going to crash pretty quickly. Buffalo is not far behind them. It wouldn’t surprise me if Chicago wins their division next year.

Reaction Score
"lucky" DeMeco Ryans doing some coaching on the sideline, how "lucky" for him that the pass got picked off

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom