OT: - Patriots Hire Coach Jerod Mayo | The Boneyard

OT: Patriots Hire Coach Jerod Mayo

Reaction Score
Man it’s gonna be a rough few years doubt he makes it to a second contract. Totally in the wilderness offensively, with a defensive coach, in a division with Miami and Buffalo. And now Pats fans will always have high expectations. At least he surely won’t have control over drafting.

Reaction Score
Man it’s gonna be a rough few years doubt he makes it to a second contract. Totally in the wilderness offensively, with a defensive coach, in a division with Miami and Buffalo. And now Pats fans will always have high expectations. At least he surely won’t have control over drafting.
This is most likely going to end badly, serves them right for doing it this way.

Reaction Score
I see the boneyard is consistent across different sports in regards to which coaches they believe shouldn't have jobs or are unqualified for the job

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is most likely going to end badly, serves them right for doing it this way.
I think Mayo will be fine. Possibly very good. He gets solid marks for leadership and brining people together. He's not very much like Bill at all. It's the GM that I am worried about, and the OC hire

I am happy with Mayo as the choice, I just think it was a mistake to decide that last year rather than interviewing guys this year. Mostly because it hampers your ability to bring in an outside GM, which they desperately need.

Reaction Score
Not thrilled with this hire at all. Its an offensive league and you need an offensive minded head coach. Especially given this years deep QB draft, I have little faith the Patriots will be able to draft and develop a QB properly with this style of coaching.

Reaction Score
Not thrilled with this hire at all. Its an offensive league and you need an offensive minded head coach. Especially given this years deep QB draft, I have little faith the Patriots will be able to draft and develop a QB properly with this style of coaching.
When you can hire your linebackers coach on a team that doesn't score the ball you have to do it! This hire feels about as imaginative as a UConn football hire or something the Bears would do.

Reaction Score
I'm a Ravens fan, so I'm okay with whatever the Pats do. BB was the best coach in the history of the NFL, so glad to see him gone.

Reaction Score
I think Mayo will be fine. Possibly very good. He gets solid marks for leadership and brining people together. He's not very much like Bill at all. It's the GM that I am worried about, and the OC hire

I am happy with Mayo as the choice, I just think it was a mistake to decide that last year rather than interviewing guys this year. Mostly because it hampers your ability to bring in an outside GM, which they desperately need.
What makes you think he could possibly be very good? Leadership and bringing people together? You could say the same about Robert Saleh, Rex Ryan, Ron Rivera, Mike Vrabel, Lovie Smith, Dan Quinn.....

He's a defensive guy taking over a dumpster fire on offense with no QB and no OC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When you can hire your linebackers coach on a team that doesn't score the ball you have to do it! This hire feels about as imaginative as a UConn football hire or something the Bears would do.
He was getting interest as a HC candidate from other teams last year. This whole idea that a HC needs to be an offensive guy is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They do need smart, creative offensive coaches, which means not McDaniels. But I am sure Mayo knows that. I don't think he's going to tank his chances by not hiring good offensive coaches.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Matt Patricia is available for OC

Reaction Score
What makes you think he could possibly be very good? Leadership and bringing people together? You could say the same about Robert Saleh, Rex Ryan, Ron Rivera, Mike Vrabel, Lovie Smith, Dan Quinn.....

He's a defensive guy taking over a dumpster fire on offense with no QB and no OC.
Lovie Smith is the Bears best coach since Mike Ditka. It's just depressing for Bears fans.

Reaction Score
He was getting interest as a HC candidate from other teams last year. This whole idea that a HC needs to be an offensive guy is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They do need smart, creative offensive coaches, which means not McDaniels. But I am sure Mayo knows that. I don't think he's going to tank his chances by not hiring good offensive coaches.

I have no idea if Mayo will work out or not - every successful head coach was a first year guy at one point - but John Harbaugh was a special teams coach. Whoever Mayo puts in charge of the offense is way more important than the fact that he played linebacker. And, honestly, finding a competent QB, some skill players, and a capable offensive line is more important than that. They could reanimate Curly Lambeau and he's not going to the playoffs with the roster they had this year.

I'm honestly shocked he's not back next year - and I lost a fairly significant bet with my brother in law about it. But we'll see what happens. I do feel less nervous about NE burning the 3rd pick on a safety from Springfield College now.

Reaction Score
Stupider than trading up to draft a kicker?

Of the 14 playoff teams, 4 are coached by former DCs, 1 by a former ST coordinator, and 9 from the offensive side. Last year it was 10 former OCs. There is a reason for this. Pats don't have a QB and they hired a coach who cannot develop one, they better make a homerun hire at OC and QB coach.

Considering your takes in OT Pats fourm on the draft, free agency, the roster, prediction for making the playoffs, and the hiring process I feel bad for Mayo as he never stood a chance after you saying he could be great.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is going to end badly but it's not going to be Mayo's fault. The Patriots had unprecedented success because the Krafts had nothing to do with it. The more input they have the worse it's going to be.

Reaction Score
I am happy with Mayo as the choice, I just think it was a mistake to decide that last year rather than interviewing guys this year.
Heard a good point somewhere a few days ago before the firing, someone was speculating and said “okay, you’re the pats, and you fire Belichick. You’re looking around for the best available candidate for the job, and it’s Bill Belichick.”

I imagine they didn’t know about Pete Carroll’s firing and had this move in mind before the firing happened. Idk if they would want a retread on him anyway though.

What tells you the GM needs to go? Seems to me the big issue is that Belichick was kind of running the show

Reaction Score
Lovie Smith is the Bears best coach since Mike Ditka. It's just depressing for Bears fans.
He was also the defensive coordinator for the Rams under Warner and had great years there. Big fan of his.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm always one to say that you need a plan. I think the Pats have a plan and they are working the plan. I bet they already know who the GM will be. The problem is, I think it's Jonathan's plan and don't think he's the goods.

Reaction Score
He was also the defensive coordinator for the Rams under Warner and had great years there. Big fan of his.
Yep, he was really good as the Bears coach. Awesome guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom