Pat and Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pat and Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
While I admire and respect the accomplishments of Pat the coach, I can't stand the sleazy manipulations and machinations of Pat the person. I look forward to Geno (and others) breaking every single one of Pat's records...

Reaction Score
I suspect by using the word "freak" he meant to convey the thought that she had unusual athleticism for a woman of her height, because there have been several other women basketball players her size, or maybe he thinks they are all "freaks".
And if that’s what he meant, then he used the word correctly. Ignoring the connotation that some of us are arbitrarily placing on the word, the most common definitions of “freak” (as a noun) is nothing more than “one that is markedly unusual or abnormal” (Merriam-Webster); the more negative connotations are sub-definitions or later definitions. Certainly enough negative things have been written about Brittney that in a different context this also might be negative – but in the context that this writer used it, was not obviously or apparently negative so we shouldn’t be putting negative connotations on it either; seriously, does anyone really think that a 6’8” player with Brittney Griner’s skill set in the women’s game is not "markedly unusual or abnormal"?

And as a nod to Icebear, certainly in the “carny” world, this word would have a different though not necessarily negative, connotation that goes back well before Tod Browning’s classic movie “Freaks”.

Certainly it’s a term that has been used on a bevy of other athletes – like Usain “Insane” Bolt ("Usain Bolt is a freak of nature"), LeBron James ("LeBron James is a freak of nature") and even Michael Jordan ("All NBA First Team- Freak Athletes"); I would think including Brittney in that group would be far from an insult. But then again...

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Andy, I love "Freaks." Had to buy a second copy when someone I loaned my original to lost it. It is a classic with a variety of interesting background stories in its making. Sideshow and carny folks share common lineage. Thanks to Jim Rose and Todd Robbins the present generation has been has been preserved.

Reaction Score
remember javon kearse, I thias his name ....from U Forida.... called "The Freak" in a very complimentary way.... because nobody else in football his size had his extreme quickness....

and Eric..always like your commentary on TN..... yes give Pat her due.... but seems that around '07 or so, the heat got too hot for her in the kitchen.....

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Secretariat, the greatest thoroughbred champion of all time, is still reverentially referred to "on the backside" and "in the barns" as a "freak". And he was. After he died it was determined that his heart was huge - about twice the size it should have been. No, it was nota heart condition; he had this gigantic pump to push blood through the lungs etc and make it appear that : "He's moving like a tremendous machine!"
Synthesizing sugar faster- in the Belmont- he ran every furlong faster than the previous furlong. It 's never happened before and probably never will again. Experts figure that the breed peaked with him- he was an amazing "freak" of nature! He was really something!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
remember javon kearse, I thias his name ....from U Forida.... called "The Freak" in a very complimentary way.... because nobody else in football his size had his extreme quickness....

and Eric..always like your commentary on TN..... yes give Pat her due.... but seems that around '07 or so, the heat got too hot for her in the kitchen.....
He was known as the Freak, also, for Stewie like wing span.

Reaction Score
Geno would like nothing better than to make Pat #2... Funny!
You make it sound as if that is yet to occur.

[edit] meant that Pat is second best overall, not necessarily just total wins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Synthesizing sugar faster- in the Belmont- he ran every furlong faster than the previous furlong. It 's never happened before and probably never will again. Experts figure that the breed peaked with him- he was an amazing "freak" of nature! He was really something!

Each of the Triple Crown races is approaching it sesquicentennial running. For most of their histories they have attracted the best competition. Only eleven horses have managed to win all three. Secretariat is on of them. More than that, each race has a fastest ever time.* Secretariat holds those times.

* Times for the current racing distances: 1 1/4 miles for Kentucky Derby; 1 3/16 for Preakness; 1 1/2 for Belmont.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And if that’s what he meant, then he used the word correctly. Ignoring the connotation that some of us are arbitrarily placing on the word, the most common definitions of “freak” (as a noun) is nothing more than “one that is markedly unusual or abnormal” (Merriam-Webster); the more negative connotations are sub-definitions or later definitions. Certainly enough negative things have been written about Brittney that in a different context this also might be negative – but in the context that this writer used it, was not obviously or apparently negative so we shouldn’t be putting negative connotations on it either; seriously, does anyone really think that a 6’8” player with Brittney Griner’s skill set in the women’s game is not "markedly unusual or abnormal"?

And as a nod to Icebear, certainly in the “carny” world, this word would have a different though not necessarily negative, connotation that goes back well before Tod Browning’s classic movie “Freaks”.

Certainly it’s a term that has been used on a bevy of other athletes – like Usain “Insane” Bolt ("Usain Bolt is a freak of nature"), LeBron James ("LeBron James is a freak of nature") and even Michael Jordan ("All NBA First Team- Freak Athletes"); I would think including Brittney in that group would be far from an insult. But then again...

As I said, if that's what he meant, he did not put it that way, since he coupled the word with her height and didn't use it directly tied to her athleticism. I've used the term myself referring to someone's athleticism. But using the work solely in connection with someone's height puts the frame of reference close to, if not squarely in, the circus side show category.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You make it sound as if that is yet to occur.

[edit] meant that Pat is second best overall, not necessarily just total wins.
I think that most non-UCONN or Tennessee fans would acknowledge that while Pat still has the total wins "record" and is tied with Geno for NC's, the fact that Geno has accomplished it with much less time, has a better winning percentage, and now has been tasked with coaching the US National team for a 2nd time that he's surpassed her in several ways, and could be considered the "better" coach. However, GOAT would require him to surpass all her records... IMHO...

Reaction Score
Yes, the hits have been plaguing our TN friends for a while..... one more UConn "whack of the axe" with every milestone GA achieves..... they increased I think when Pat cancelled the series, in our opinion, because she saw the handwriting on the wall.... with Candice in sight of leaving, and beatdowns in the near future..... softening of achievements at TN.... Ball State e.g., and of course GA's 8th NCAA championship in 10 less yrs. coached..... the 9th is really going to be a killer for them..... I think the 1098 is the number thy will still hold onto, even though the last 30 really were under the stewardship of HCHW

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually, it's a good thing to be a freak in the mens' game. here's an example

Put freak and athlete into Google and you'll get a buncha sites devoted to hyper-athletic players of all sports.
Agree but it is uncomfortable when the term is applied to Griner, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom