Pat and Geno | The Boneyard

Pat and Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Worse than Lady Huskies is his reference to Griner as the "former 6'8" freak". Horrible on several levels. On the less egregious side, she is not "formerly" 6'8". I don't think her size has changed. I know the guy inartfully meant she isn't in the college game any more.

I suspect by using the word "freak" he meant to convey the thought that she had unusual athleticism for a woman of her height, because there have been several other women basketball players her size, or maybe he thinks they are all "freaks".

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Worse than Lady Huskies is his reference to Griner as the "former 6'8" freak". Horrible on several levels. On the less egregious side, she is not "formerly" 6'8". I don't think her size has changed. I know the guy inartfully meant she isn't in the college game any more.

I suspect by using the word "freak" he meant to convey the thought that she had unusual athleticism for a woman of her height, because there have been several other women basketball players her size, or maybe he thinks they are all "freaks".

I can't imagine what he things of the gentlemen "freaks."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Among sideshow performers "freak" is an embraced term for certain performers.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
What do you know... A knowledgeable blogger if I ever read one (NOT). And with a fan base of seven (7) followers. It just shows that we have to take the internet for what it is... A forum where one can write anything... And be read by anyone and everyone... What garbage...

Reaction Score
Not exactly a hard hitting piece..... I learned nothing new here... It was Pat-Geno 101, and most of us are past that

Reaction Score

Made me cringe. And makes me feel sorry for him, that he thinks of a fellow human being this way.

Reaction Score
One of the most frustrating thing for me was the misunderstanding of the race for most wins. It's true that Geno has good odds of passing 1,028 but, if they continue to coach, Vanderveer, Hatchell, and Stringer have a good shot at doing it first.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Among sideshow performers "freak" is an embraced term for certain performers.
I would guess you could count on one hand people that enjoy being called a "freak". And you are right, they are probably in the circus or carnival. Maybe it's my age but I can't imagine anyone desiring that appellation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would guess you could count on one hand people that enjoy being called a "freak". And you are right, they are probably in the circus or carnival. Maybe it's my age but I can't imagine anyone desiring that appellation.
I have spent time with side show performers from time to time as a magic hobbyist. Freaks wear the label as something of the red badge of courage.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno would like nothing better than to make Pat #2... Funny!

Reaction Score

LeBron James is a freak. Michael Jordan was a freak. Magic and Bird were freaks. Olajuwon and Jabbar were freaks.

Reaction Score
LeBron James is a freak. Michael Jordan was a freak. Magic and Bird were freaks. Olajuwon and Jabbar were freaks.
And you know for a fact that they all enjoy being called freaks?? Or is that just your opinion of them.

Reaction Score
One of the SNY excerpts -- the one on KML's meeting with Geno -- includes a quote from Stefanie Dolson, who describes KML as "a freak shooter."

While calling someone a "freak shooter" is certainly different than calling someone a "6' 8" freak" in that the act, not the person is the freak, Dolson's use of the word describimh a friend and teammate suggests to me that there's a pretty high comfort level with using the word in the context of athletics.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Secretariat, the greatest thoroughbred champion of all time, is still reverentially referred to "on the backside" and "in the barns" as a "freak". And he was. After he died it was determined that his heart was huge - about twice the size it should have been. No, it was nota heart condition; he had this gigantic pump to push blood through the lungs etc and make it appear that : "He's moving like a tremendous machine!"

Reaction Score
I think you are correct that Geno wants the All-time record in all College BB.....Most wins, Most NC and best looking in that order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom