Pastner, Calimari Lite? | The Boneyard

Pastner, Calimari Lite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pastner seems to be up to some Calipari sque moves this off season. He seemed like am likable young coach and I dont want to disparage an AAC coach outside of Mick Cronin.

Reaction Score
Memphis has arguably the lowest admission standards in the country for basketball. There was no way in hell Kuran Iverson was going to qualify at UConn yet he got into Memphis no problem.

Reaction Score
What are you guys talking about?

I don't think anyone knows but it's probably somewhere between hiring those kids dad so they can get the family plan and potentially bringing in Kasongo. Now having their dad coach is not illegal and also he had a pretty nice career so he probably knows the game - also they weren't the only one's thinking about this move………still a bit suspect one would have to admit. The Kasongo thing is still up in the air as many others believe it's now not an academic thing but who knows…….we'll find out soon enough.

But it was well documented in this area that Mr Iverson was an academic question mark throughout his final recruitment so there are questions as to how he did get in there………but again no one here has the facts but it's the Boneyard, we talk about everything not just the facts!! LOL

Reaction Score
seriously... he took on a "connected" assistant. big freakin' deal. we almost did it w/ Jimmy Salmon and tons of others schools do it. Not a big deal.

Reaction Score
Kuran didn't get to school till fall and it was a real close call.

Reaction Score
seriously... he took on a "connected" assistant. big freakin' deal. we almost did it w/ Jimmy Salmon and tons of others schools do it. Not a big deal.

I don't think the OP's post has much to do with the hiring of the father, although it does validate his point. Memphis has been doing this for years. Dom Woodson is another prime example of a kid that wouldn't have qualified anywhere else.

Reaction Score
If Memphis has to go the extra step to stay relevant and contend for Conference Titles so be it. If it ain't illegal why would we thumbing our nose at a conference foe. We are simply fortunate thanks to JC, but come on guys we are the exception in respect to getting top recruits. Pastner is under pressure to compete. I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing after legal review by the University.

Reaction Score
the asst coach thing is such a non-issue. i don't think anyone here would have an issue if we had hired lawson and now had a commitment from the #1 recruit in the country. we'd all be repping the coach's resume to prove he's legit. on the academic thing, the courant article on sticks last week said he still has three semesters to go to complete his degree. i'm sure there's more to it, but implying that we had these super rigourous academic expectations/requirements seems to be a bit far-fetched when considering that. how was he possibly eligible? was he just taking basic general studies classes to gain credits/stay eligible? was there ever an academic plan to get him to graduate or was it just for him to be able to play ball?

Reaction Score
Domonic Woodson didn't have qualifying issues. He decommited from Baylor because Drew wanted to red-shirt him. Also the Huntington Prep coach at the time really liked Pastner so Memphis had an inside track with Domonic's inner circle

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't care if Memphis starts recruiting out of prisons. (I'm assuming they haven't already.)

At this point, any edge that an AAC school can get, I'm all for it.

Let him go to Memphis and major in refrigerator magnets for all I care.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
"Is Pastner Calipari-Lite?"

Coach Paz spent a decade with Lute Olson as a player/coach, and 1 year with Cal.

I'd call him Olson-Lite...that said, Cal and Paz are friends.

As for hiring Keelon Lawson, he coached Hamilton HS to an undefeated State title and has 3 super talented kids...if our hiring him is so terrible, perhaps the NCAA should actually make a rule against it. (too late, now)

As for our academics, UT-Knox won't let us have a medical school like UT and Vandy...we get scraps of funding that we have to fight MTSU and ETSU for...and we understand our mission is to try and educate the masses as inexpensively as possible.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I don't think the OP's post has much to do with the hiring of the father, although it does validate his point. Memphis has been doing this for years. Dom Woodson is another prime example of a kid that wouldn't have qualified anywhere else.

Dom Woodson qualified at Baylor, Drew wanted to redshirt him, Dom wanted to play immediately.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Coach Paz spent a decade with Lute Olson as a player/coach, and 1 year with Cal.

As for hiring Keelon Lawson, he coached Hamilton HS to an undefeated State title and has 3 super talented kids...if our hiring him is so terrible, perhaps the NCAA should actually make a rule against it. (too late, now)

As for our academics, UT-Knox won't let us have a medical school like UT and Vandy...we get scraps of funding that we have to fight MTSU and ETSU for...and we understand our mission is to try and educate the masses as inexpensively as possible.
Do you guys hire every high school coach that wins a state title? Please.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't be too proud he's friends with and coached with Cal………co one wants their relatives to be scum! Other than that Paz seems like a decent guy who needs to be a better coach to help his excellent recruiting abilities!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
when they have 4 highly talented sons, yes, as it's not against any rule.

any other questions?
Exactly. Why pretend his high school coaching is anything other than a pretense? If those were my sons I would be considering a Memphis job offer too. I do believe this has the potential to bite you in the ass.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Exactly. Why pretend his high school coaching is anything other than a pretense? If those were my sons I would be considering a Memphis job offer too. I do believe this has the potential to bite you in the ass.

I never said we hired him for any other reason reason than his 4 super talented kids. That said, It doesn't change the fact he was an outstanding HS coach, and the last coach to take an undefeated team to a State title in Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Pastner is WILDLY overrated. I've watched a good amount with pastner as head coach, and his teams are always very talented, but execute poorly and are undisciplined. They look like the Harlem globetrotters verse lesser opponents but when it comes to playing high level teams, the stink and its hard to watch. If I'm not mistaken pastner beat his first team ranked in the top 25 THIS YEAR (OK state).

This guy has nothing on Olsen or Calipari and its clear as day. at least when i watch kentucky their seems to be some kind of offense being run, unlike memphis, a bunch of high level athletes playing like chickens with their head cut off. Are they even developing players over there? I tell you this give Ollie a shot with athletes of their caliber we are turning them into first round picks.

Pastners X and O's game is weak

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Pastner is WILDLY overrated. I've watched a good amount with pastner as head coach, and his teams are always very talented, but execute poorly and are undisciplined. They look like the Harlem globetrotters verse lesser opponents but when it comes to playing high level teams, the stink and its hard to watch. If I'm not mistaken pastner beat his first team ranked in the top 25 THIS YEAR (OK state).

This guy has nothing on Olsen or Calipari and its clear as day. at least when i watch kentucky their seems to be some kind of offense being run, unlike memphis, a bunch of high level athletes playing like chickens with their head cut off. Are they even developing players over there? I tell you this give Ollie a shot with athletes of their caliber we are turning them into first round picks.

Pastners X and O's game is weak

thumbsup.jpg

Pastner's first top-25 win was against #25 St Mary's in the 2012-13 NCAA Tourney...but don't let facts get in the way.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry I'm sorry but why don't you have a gander at pastners record against top 25 opponents, Nothing to be proud of buddy.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I'm sorry I'm sorry but why don't you have a gander at pastners record against top 25 opponents, Nothing to be proud of buddy.

The last two seasons Pastner has beaten: #5 OK State, #7 Louisville, #12 Louisville, #18 SMU, #23 Gonzaga, and #25 St Mary's

He's also beaten: George Washington, LSU, Tennessee, and Harvard (who knocked Cincy out of the NCAAs)

Reaction Score
Yeah, I read that and was like "didn't Memphis beat Louisville twice last year?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom