P5 wants to give extra benes. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

P5 wants to give extra benes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
UCFBfan said:
This is all being looked at from a football angle it seems but this will destroy, in the long run, the NCAA tournament in basketball. Why would any decent player go to a mid-major anymore? The Big East can't keep up with these guidelines and teams like Wichita St and A-10 schools won't be able to keep up any more. How are you going to fill a 65 team bracket that keeps people interested. You can't. It's funny. They're all filling their own fat bellies while slowly slitting their own throats in the long term. Interest will wain if it's just the same 65 schools that can get any decent players.....sad....
I think the hardest rule to overcome would be if the p5 decided to up the number of scholarships, but I don't think that's on the table right now as an autonomous category. We'll know more by August.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd‏@dennisdoddcbs 5h
Why are some proposals "permissive" and some "actionable"? What's the difference?

I'm really starting to sense a hard line approach from board/steering committee. Not a good look at all considering climate.

I want to know the how and why and who decided actionable and permissive.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
This is a bit of a rant, but I am so fuc&ing annoyed that administrators at podunk schools with podunk fans in podunk places like Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee have us by the balls right now. I truly truly can't wait for the day when the football ascent comes crashing down and we all laugh that 2 schools in Mississippi were the "haves" of this world.

Reaction Score
Even lower-profile conferences believe in the general outline, though they acknowledge some additional details still need to be worked out.

"Do I think it can work? Probably," Horizon League commissioner Jon LeCrone said. "Is it perfect? Probably not. But I think it's going to work better than what we've got now."

Still to be determined is how, or if, the other 27 Division I conferences might apply measures approved through the autonomy rules.

"If it's approved by the five conferences, the Horizon League should decide if it wants to adopt that approach," said LeCrone, whose league approved providing the full cost-of-attendance for its athletes after the measure initially passed in October 2011.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ncaa-board-endorses-more-power-big-schools

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wonder if this is going to cause a lot of shifting among lower conferences. If some go for the P5 rules and some don't, I can see some schools who can afford going the P5 rule route leaving their conference to go to another. For example, if the A-10 supports the stipends and all that good stuff and the Horizon League doesn't, maybe UW-Milwaukee decides it wants to pay the stipend, etc so it leaves the Horizon and looks for the A-10 to pick them up. While St. Joes can't afford the stipend so they need to leave the A-10 and maybe go to the Horizon. (The schools I just pulled out of thin air b/c I know they're in those leagues. No clue if they can afford it or not) This will be interesting on multiple levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom