Outcoached | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Outcoached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1) Pitino is the best XO coach in the game, especially on the defensive end. Bar none. Other coaches like self, K and Roy are system coaches. Pitino can destory a team defensively in a dozen different ways, especially when they have a weakness like UConn does upfront.
2) I'd rather have Ollie's team get worked this way THIS year. A learning experience for sure. Will make this group better next year.

Disappointing, but not a disaster. UL played a great game, maybe their best. They would struggle against temas with big backcourts and a physical post player. UConn has neither

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Needlss to say I don't buy all the Ollie s the greatest coach in the nation bs, but this post isn't really right. Did Pitino do some things Ollie didn't react well too? Yeah, but that was pretty irrelevent to this game. We got beat every which way from Sunday by a much better basketball team. You want to say we got out coached, fine, but we goto beat so many different ways that Jim Calhoun on is best day assited by John Wooden and Red Auerbach wouldn't have won that game.
Thanks for pointing this out, because it's commonly believed on this board that Ollie is the greatest coach in the nation. Maybe ever.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's been said already but I'd like to reinforce a couple of points. We played a team with superior depth and talent and ranked #1. Could we have beaten them? Yes with better play offensively than theirs for the whole game and with some help from the refs on physical plays where we got abused. We also would have needed to pick up defensively much better in the second half where there were many breakdowns. I am really proud of how hard this team played and how well it played even though it couldn't sustain it for the entire game. I'd be willing to bet that our hall of fame coach wouldn't have found much more in the bag of tricks with this lineup vs Behanon, Smith, Siva, Dieng, etc. Remember last years debacle? I'm sure Kevin would have loved to have had a Kevin Freeman to match up with Behanon but we showed that we had some weakness in handling this press. They are very good at it and create problems for every team they play. I don't think Kevin's relative experience level vs Rick 's had anything whatsoever to do with the outcome. Give him more time to work with this team and more players to fill holes in the roster where we are thin and I like his chances of winning against any team.

Reaction Score
Oh just stop. Louisville clearly has more overall talent, is far deeper, and wore them out.
Did Ollie just lose his ability to coach after being up 8 early in the second half?
Give Louisville the credit, they are GOOD

I agree 100%. I was EXTREMELY worried about not even being competitive in this game. Not because of Louisville's talent. Clearly that could have won them the game under any circumstances. Our guys left it all on the floor at ND;had to travel; and, had almost zero downtime to rejuvenate to deal with the likes of this Cardinal team. Siva going out early helped in the first half; and Kevin talked about not meeting the challenge in the second half. I believe the challenge wasn't met because of mental(mostly) and physical fatigue. Yeah Louisville's second half "D" was excellent; but our guys have seen some very good defenses to date. The 10 second half turnovers imo is down to fatigue related, poor decisions as is their overall level of play. And, with only a small dig intended, Tyler is still learning the meaning of game to game consistency.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE PANTHERS!!!

Reaction Score
Wally has been a hater for a long time. Remember the trashy things he wrote in 2011?

1. Expand
    Wally Szczerbiak@wallyball
    Impressive road performance by #Lousiville at #UConn. Also Rick Pitino took Kevin Ollie to school and re established reality!#HOFcoach

I personally am of the belief we got worn out by a deeper, more talented, and more physical team. Daniels cannot handle the ball in space to help break the press. Bazz and Boat have to do it all. They wore down and got no help from any of the bigs.

Reaction Score
Glad KG punched him in his back during their Twolves days.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Goes from "depressing to say the least" to "embarrassed" to "just an upset fan"

Backpedal over your exaggerations harder.

If you're going to jump right to "depressing to say the least," as if "depressing" is the only word you could think to use that could even begin to properly effectively describe your emotional reaction to UConn losing a basketball game, let alone to the #1 team in the country this year of all years, you need to develop some better coping mechanisms or refrain from posting for 48 hours following a game.

Reaction Score
Wally has been a hater for a long time. Remember the trashy things he wrote in 2011?

Who is Wally Sczerbiak??:rolleyes:....and who really gives a rats a*8 about what he thinks??

Reaction Score
Hate to say this because I love Ollie, however, Pitino made him look like the rook that he is. Didn't press at all the first half and came back gunning with Siva in the second half. It's like uconn never saw the press in their life... Also poor team D in the second half. Depressing to say the least.
if you are saying that ollie has some things to learn as a coach, absolutely. i think his experience as a player will help that learning curve.

whats depressing is someone using one game to judge a coach and ignoring everything else that said coach has accomplished.

Reaction Score
For the record I never said Ollie is a bad coach. His team was not prepared for the press in the second half and some of that blame goes to the coach. Everyone can take it as me attacking KO, but that's not at all true. Just felt as if he didn't have the team prepared as well as they should have been. Obviously we were outplayed... But they looked lost. Everyone on here really needs to relax. I like this team and I like Ollie. It was an observation and everyone on here went off their rocker when I felt Pitino had a great game plan and Ollie didn't have his team prepared well enough. Disagree if you want, either way lolling forward to the next game.

Reaction Score
For the record I never said Ollie is a bad coach. His team was not prepared for the press in the second half and some of that blame goes to the coach. Everyone can take it as me attacking KO, but that's not at all true. Just felt as if he didn't have the team prepared as well as they should have been. Obviously we were outplayed... But they looked lost. Everyone on here really needs to relax. I like this team and I like Ollie. It was an observation and everyone on here went off their rocker when I felt Pitino had a great game plan and Ollie didn't have his team prepared well enough. Disagree if you want, either way lolling forward to the next game.
I think it was more the case of one team being that much better. UL was very impressive.

Reaction Score
His team I am sure was well prepared for the press.......went through every alternative to breaking it over and over and different presses they throw at you........what they couldn't do because no one can, is prepare them for the speed and size of the people guarding, pressing and trapping........it changed quickly didn't it? It will make them better...........may have been ugly but they will fight back and be better and the next press they see will not be as fast or big, or good!

Reaction Score
We lost to a team much more talented then ours and much experienced then ours, as we should have.

Ollie was outcoached by a guy who has been to 6 final fours, as he should have been.

It happens move on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There were a few times during the game, when it got quiet, that I came oh so very close to yelling "Pitino...table for two...Pitino...table for two".

From where we sit, he would have heard me loud and clear. :)
You should have done it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ollie, with a team that may have 1 NBA player on it, lost to the #1 team in the country after leading at halftime. Yep, Ollie sucks.

Reaction Score
Uof L is bigger and stronger and deeper than us. I don't think we did a good job protecting against the 3 ball, but that's not coaching it's player recognition. There's no rest time against them so Bazz and Boat were a bit gassed. Siva has improved and when smoth is on just count it and move on. We need help underneath and hopefully that will come next year. TO is so inconsistent and Giff is a welterweight in a heavyweight fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom