Outcoached | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Outcoached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why, but I was honestly surprised to come here to find threads about how we quit. We got beat by maybe the best team in the country. That's it. And, surprise, losing isn't always pretty.

Yeah, I was very surprised as well. Hell, they played them much better this year than last, when they had NBA lottery picks and 2 big man starters from the NC team playing. I think people forget they lost by 21 last year to this same Louisville team.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why, but I was honestly surprised to come here to find threads about how we quit. We got beat by maybe the best team in the country. That's it. And, surprise, losing isn't always pretty.
I'm surprised you were surprised. :) I love this forum first and foremost because I'm with other fans that are passionate about the same team. I also love this forum because, if anything, it proves how diversified and varied we are in perceiving things and developing conclusions from what we observe. It gives great insight to the way the human brain works.

I don't know everyone, but I get a pretty good read on lots of posters and the forum in general. I'm actually more surprised when someone acts out of "character" from their normal posting. Of course I need to observe people with around 1000 posts before that happens, so I don't know you very well.:)

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I'm surprised you were surprised. :) I love this forum first and foremost because I'm with other fans that are passionate about the same team. I also love this forum because, if anything, it proves how diversified and varied we are in perceiving things and developing conclusions from what we observe. It gives great insight to the way the human brain works.

I don't know everyone, but I get a pretty good read on lots of posters and the forum in general. I'm actually more surprised when someone acts out of "character" from their normal posting. Of course I need to observe people with around 1000 posts before that happens, so I don't know you very well.:)
I love the passion too, and I'm fine with criticism when it's warranted. Last year's Louisville game would be a good example.
But this year's team, with where we are, and who we were playing? Saying we quit? That's not passion, that's ignorance

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I love the passion too, and I'm fine with criticism when it's warranted. Last year's Louisville game would be a good example.
But this year's team, with where we are, and who we were playing? Saying we quit? That's not passion, that's ignorance
Or sour grapes? Or people who just feel tty after a loss and post their emotional state. Or are ignorant, or unobservant or not good talent evaluators or whatever. We can learn a lot about human nature if we avoid getting embroiled in the drama. Easier said than done, I'll admit.

Reaction Score
Hate to say this because I love Ollie, however, Pitino made him look like the rook that he is. Didn't press at all the first half and came back gunning with Siva in the second half. It's like uconn never saw the press in their life... Also poor team D in the second half. Depressing to say the least.

Oh come on. Did you really think that Uconn would beat the No 1 team. they are no 1 for a reason. I was hoping that they would at least give them a good game. They did in the 1st half, but fell apart in the second. The press got to them because of the lack of depth. I think Louisville beat them by 30 last year if I am not mistaken. I don't fault Ollie at all. He will learn from this.

Reaction Score
Ten mintues left, Calhoun cuts the lead to 47-44. The next 2 minutes, and 10 second, they go 0-3 on Napier missed 3 pointers, and turn the ball over once....while Louisville scored 10 consecutive points to go up 13. That stretch essentially ended the game.

When you break it down, if a couple of those 3's fall, if the bigs step up and deny Dieng or Behanan a bit, UConn would have been able to gain the momentum back, and it's a different game.

they will learn

Reaction Score
Outcoached? Didn't we just beat ND in their building 2 days ago?

Come in off the ledge. We played the top-ranked team tonight. This coach and this team are still learning. Can't expect miracles every game.

Reaction Score
Hate to say this because I love Ollie, however, Pitino made him look like the rook that he is. Didn't press at all the first half and came back gunning with Siva in the second half. It's like uconn never saw the press in their life... Also poor team D in the second half. Depressing to say the least.
nomination for "un-post" of the year. if you thought this game was lost because of coaching, you are blind

Reaction Score
On the postgame show they mentioned that the Cards made 8 out of their first 10 shots which set up their press and we lost our confidence when we couldn't handle it. It just snowballed from there. Can't blame Ollie. It was a fun first half that's why I'm glad I went. The Cards were better on many levels.

Reaction Score
I guess I know what it feels like to be Jason Page now. I'm just an upset fan trying to point the blame somewhere. We knew the press was coming and it just didn't seem as if we were prepared for it. All in all, Louisville is experienced, athletic, strong and is poised for a run in March. Would have been nice to knock them off

Reaction Score
Ok so maybe the OP didnt go about raising his point the right way but he is raising a valid point...Our performance against the press, given the ability of boatright and shabazz, is unacceptable. the answer to why they struggled so much could very well be that they were not prepared enough for the press. i personally did not like the way they were going about trying to break it. also, i did not see many adjustments in that 10 minute stretch. we really struggled against the matchup-zone.

I dont think the OP was trying to kill Ollie, most of us can agree hes done an exceptional job thus far, but he was just raising the issue of the lack of possible preparedness/2nd half adjustments. UL is a darn good basketball team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm a troll? ... I am embarassed
Perhaps you should clothes on then.
th

Reaction Score
Ok so maybe the OP didnt go about raising his point the right way but he is raising a valid point...Our performance against the press, given the ability of boatright and shabazz, is unacceptable. the answer to why they struggled so much could very well be that they were not prepared enough for the press. i personally did not like the way they were going about trying to break it. also, i did not see many adjustments in that 10 minute stretch. we really struggled against the matchup-zone.

I dont think the OP was trying to kill Ollie, most of us can agree hes done an exceptional job thus far, but he was just raising the issue of the lack of possible preparedness/2nd half adjustments. UL is a darn good basketball team.

No one starts a thread like this as his 5th post and is not a troll.

Louisville did beat Mizzouri by 23. Aren't they supposed to have a top notch and experienced coach with a transfer big man who is a senior leader and ready for the NBA?

Bazz and Boat got manhandled and made some ball handling errors, Lousville also gets to give out scholarhsips and has some very athletic guards (who played well). Against most teams having two ball handlers is enough, against these guys needed to have OC, Giffey, Evans and DD handle ball well in open court and attack after press broken, they just aren't up to it against a team like this. TO and Wolf just can not patrol the paint, just not athletic enough.

Even with this, as noted after Calhoun scored at 10:02 were down 47-44 next were down 57 -44 at 7:22 while had 3 Bazz 3 pointers miss and two DD misses in that time. So 4 possessions where Uconn missed and Louisville got 3 pointer, 3 point play and 2 other buckets was the whole difference. Hardly getting out coached. I would be more inclined to say that Pitino was outcoached by Ollie for 30 minutes until the better talent/athelets won out.

Reaction Score

Go away please. thank you.

Reaction Score
The only criticism I have of Ollie from an in-game coaching standpoint is he tends to be a little slow in pulling the timeout trigger. I know there's something to be said for letting the kids play through a rough stretch, especially at home. But Louisville's press and transition offense was so good once it got going that it seemed each possession would end with Louisville extending the lead one way or another.

Having said that, an extra timeout from Ollie maybe means we lose by 13 instead of 15. Louisville was phenomenal in the second half and we found out something that we figured would be the case this year - if we don't have the best guards on the floor, we're not going to win.

Reaction Score
This was not a coaching issue- Shabazz and Boat couldn't keep their explosive, experienced guards in front of them. KO had the team ready to play. During this season, as a fan that's all I can ask for. They came out with energy, then got outplayed by the #1 team in the country. No shame.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Brendon Ayanbadejo:
Saying we were outcoached = bitchassness

Reaction Score
Needlss to say I don't buy all the Ollie s the greatest coach in the nation bs, but this post isn't really right. Did Pitino do some things Ollie didn't react well too? Yeah, but that was pretty irrelevent to this game. We got beat every which way from Sunday by a much better basketball team. You want to say we got out coached, fine, but we goto beat so many different ways that Jim Calhoun on is best day assited by John Wooden and Red Auerbach wouldn't have won that game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This was not a coaching issue- Shabazz and Boat couldn't keep their explosive, experienced guards in front of them. KO had the team ready to play. During this season, as a fan that's all I can ask for. They came out with energy, then got outplayed by the #1 team in the country. No shame.

Exactly. Our best players didn't have their A game and the team got worn down as the game went on. They didn't quit and Ollie coached fine. Like you said no shame, let's move on.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Our best players didn't have their A game and the team got worn down as the game went on. They didn't quit and Ollie coached fine. Like you said no shame, let's move on.

Four days ago, any sane person would have been happy if we escaped the stretch of at ND, home to LV and at Pitt with even one win. We have it, and go to Pitt this weekend playing with the house money of our schedule getting much easier starting next week. I think we can beat Pitt. Will we -- we'll see.

The first post was nothing more than troll-tastic.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I think Caronimo could have said it better in his original post, but I do agree with some of the sentiment. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

We saw Pitino do to Ollie what we saw Calhoun do to hundreds of young coaches over the years. Play the first half, regroup at the half and adjust to dominate the 2nd half. The great Calhoun teams always came out of the locker room and had a 18-2 run or something to set the 2nd half tone. Ollie was outcoached tonight. He didn't have a counterpunch. Part of that was the talent of his roster. A bigger part was that Rick Pitino is a great basketball coach.

Things I did not like seeing?

1) The body language on some players, especially Napier.
2) The absolute confusion about what to do with that press.
3) There were times I just didn't like seeing Ollie calm or sitting on the bench and admittedly, that's me still being used to the Mad Irishman.

Reaction Score
Ville is just better. Plain and simple. Better players and better athletes at this point.

Reaction Score
There were a few times during the game, when it got quiet, that I came oh so very close to yelling "Pitino...table for two...Pitino...table for two".

From where we sit, he would have heard me loud and clear. :)

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
There were a few times during the game, when it got quiet, that I came oh so very close to yelling "Pitino...table for two...Pitino...table for two".

From where we sit, he would have heard me loud and clear. :)

Such opportunities present themselves, from time to time.

The true measure of a man is whether or not he seizes upon said opportunities.

You could have been famous, this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom