Outcoached. Again. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Outcoached. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The coaching aspect, as we all know too well, is much more than what we see 60 minutes as week.

The, in your opinion, lack of talent on the field compared to our recent opponents, is a direct reflection on the current head coach and his staff.

They develop, monitor and adjust the off-season workouts, they give play books to the players and check their progress and they are responsible for in-game adjustments and motivation. All of these signs are quantifiable negatives since PP took over.

... and direct reflection on past coaching staff. We do not have desired depth to replace non-performers. We have less margin for error. You can only coach so much before having to move onto the next guy and at some positions - they next guy is not physically ready. I'm not saying a change in direction is not needed there is always a need for a scapegoat in modern day society - GDL would be a good start.

Reaction Score
We do not have enough talent. Plain and simple.

this is a bull**t excuse. The "cupboards were bare" argumant only applies to the QB position and maybe the RB position, but how would we know that since this staff insisted on running the tiny guy 99% of the time. Bottom line is they inherited at least 8 NFL caliber starters. 11+ if you count guys like Martin, Teggart,and Kash (NFL camp guys). I wasn't all that sad to see him go and I am far from an apologista, but if Edsall had stayed, this team would have found a way to be in the BE Champs conversation both last year and this year.

Yes, I did hear myself say that, but try to tell me it is not true. This is the dreaded program tailspin. I'm calling "MayDay".

Reaction Score
Dude why are you throwing the players under the bus??? Are you really letting (HuskyBandDad) fool you into believing we don't have talent??? Lol... I can name a whole mess of FBS schools right mother ducking now that has WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY less talent than we do and are stupid explosive on offense and can compete in the BCS!!!!! You guys should be a shamed of yourselves!
Who do we have on offense that can be explosive? What exlosive team has less talent on offense?

Reaction Score
Dude why are you throwing the players under the bus??? Are you really letting (HuskyBandDad) fool you into believing we don't have talent??? Lol... I can name a whole mess of FBS schools right mother ducking now that has WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY less talent than we do and are stupid explosive on offense and can compete in the BCS!!!!! You guys should be a shamed of yourselves!

So players get a free pass because they are students?

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
How did I get reeled into this thread? I'm not even near the bus.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
total offense
Ball State #7
Marshall #8
Akron #15
N. Illinois #19
Arkansas State #22

And the list goes on!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netTotalYards

Players
Nick Williams
Griffin
S. Phillips
M. Smith
etc... there's plenty of talent!

I haven't seen any of those teams play this year so I can't speak for their talent. I'm sure you couldn't also. As far as the four players you mentioned, only Ryan Griffin would be a starter on another Big East team. Shakim Phillips? What has he done? Stars do not equal talent. See Scott Hazelton. I'm glad your not running this program if you think we have enough talent on offense.

Reaction Score
... and direct reflection on past coaching staff. We do not have desired depth to replace non-performers. We have less margin for error. You can only coach so much before having to move onto the next guy and at some positions - they next guy is not physically ready. I'm not saying a change in direction is not needed there is always a need for a scapegoat in modern day society - GDL would be a good start.

Tell me you didn't just play the depth card. You know better than that. You can't tell me if we had more depth we'd have beaten SU, Temple or WMU.

There is no scapegoat needed here. A scapegoat gets the blame for a problem or lack of results they are not responsible for. GDL and PP are not scapegoats.

Reaction Score
Just talked to a Syracuse guy. Said that it is the exact same offense that they ran 15 years ago. The world has moved on. GDL has not. I've said we are a little light on talent and experience on O. But the D just got lit up. No excuses.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen any of those teams play this year so I can't speak for their talent. I'm sure you couldn't also. As far as the four players you mentioned, only Ryan Griffin would be a starter on another Big East team. Shakim Phillips? What has he done? Stars do not equal talent. See Scott Hazelton. I'm glad your not running this program if you think we have enough talent on offense.

Coaches can create offenses that work no matter who the players are. Houston, Hawaii, Texas Tech, Navy are a few examples of schools who have done so recently. Obviously - you need great players when going up against Top 25 teams, but even average ones should be able to move the ball against Buffalo, Western Michigan, Temple and Syracuse!!!

Reaction Score
Who do we have on offense that can be explosive? What exlosive team has less talent on offense?

Nick Williams, Ryan Griffin, all big east as a freshman Lyle McCombs, Geremy Davis, Mike Smith....

We have talent.

Reaction Score
To say we don't have enough talent is so Fecunditying stupid. We beat better teams with lower rated talent.
Is this the first warm embrace of those glory days fondly known as the RE era...

Reaction Score
Easy tuff guy - I could have worded my comment better. Wasn't talking about coaching staff.. I was talking about talent on the field (that is playing). It appears to my eye that we are overmatched and less talented at certain positions than Temple. Buffalo and Cuse. Not all positions but cleary at some. People can blame GDL for the play-calling and scheming of o-line but the boys on the field need to make a play and some of them were physically outmatched and that is a talent issue in most instances - it's not all lack of or poor coaching.

There are three areas were we are deficient, d line (injuries), rb coaches ( coaches not wanting or willing to play anyone else, and using a 165lb back between the tackles) and offensive line (coach decided to give duties to his offensive coordinator who sits in the booth and sucks)

So in analyzing these deficiencies two are coaching decisions.

Also it is plain to all viewers that we don't make any game time adjustments. Every one and their mother knows we run out if wildloseyards and Cuse was prepared and we kept on trying until we were so far behind we had to pass every down.

Did you here PP tell the sideline reporter that the only problem was we had to block? Don't you think that has been a problem all year?

We have been known for 2 things for the last decade, great running game and really good lineman. In one year HCPP has destroyed that image!

Reaction Score
Just talked to a Syracuse guy. Said that it is the exact same offense that they ran 15 years ago. The world has moved on. GDL has not. I've said we are a little light on talent and experience on O. But the D just got lit up. No excuses.

Quick summary of our offense:
12 possessions
9 were 4 plays or less; of those, 8 ended in punts. The other was a touchdown (yeah!)
The other three plays:
14 plays 66 yards for a FG
6 plays for a fumble
8 plays for an INT (down 30 points at this point)

we had -3 yards rushing...

The only reason the time of possession wasn't more skewed was because Syracuse was in hurry up the whole night. Our defense wasn't great, but our offense had zero answer for the suddenly Syracuse Steel Curtain. Even the commentators mentioned that our offense couldn't stop the SU defense.

Our coaching staff had zero answers for what SU was doing on defense or offense. This is not a new trend.

I am now 100% convinced that Coach PP needs to go. It's not just GDL anymore.

Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma@genoauriemma
most important thing for players to work on in practice! shooting? ballhandling ?defense? pointless without MENTAL TOUGHNESS #courage

Geno's love note to the football team?

Reaction Score
Nick Williams, Ryan Griffin, all big east as a freshman Lyle McCombs, Geremy Davis, Mike Smith....

We have talent.
Nick Williams was all Big East as a returner not as a offensive player not as a receiver. It ts a different animal. Davis and Smith are average receivers. People are brain washed into thinking they are stars because they catch the ball which is a step up from some of the past receivers we've had. Neither would be the top receive on any other Big East team. McCombs is not on the level of past backs we've had.

Reaction Score
Nick Williams was all Big East as a returner not as a offensive player not as a receiver. It ts a different animal. Davis and Smith are average receivers. People are brain washed into thinking they are stars because they catch the ball which is a step up from some of the past receivers we've had. Neither would be the top receive on any other Big East team. McCombs is not on the level of past backs we've had.
The fact is, this team has gone backwards since PP has come in. And more importantly, they are well below expectations.

PP was brought in here to build the base in CT, grow the program, and keep the positive momentum going forward.

After the first year, we are now on a downward projection. There is nothing PP has done to show he can accomplish any of the things he was hired for. Every year he stays is another year of accepting mediocrity..

Reaction Score
I didn't say Nick Williams was all big east. I said he is explosive. You must have missed last year's buffalo game.

I'm struggling to remember the explosive players we had all those years we won 7/8 games. Easley for half a season. Brown and Dixon. But a lack of offensive firepower is nothing new. But we haven't been this bad since our first years in the big east.

So what McCombs isn't Donald Brown. He was all big east. He is a quality RB that could start on most teams in the conference.

Reaction Score
Nick Williams was all Big East as a returner not as a offensive player not as a receiver. It ts a different animal. Davis and Smith are average receivers.

hey dumbo, what you just described = talent. It is there, can the coaches maximize it? Seriously, Akron is #15 in the nation. THE AKRON ZIPS!!!!

Reaction Score
hey dumbo, what you just described = talent. It is there, can the coaches maximize it? Seriously, Akron is #15 in the nation. THE AKRON ZIPS!!!!
Look I agree, it is on the coaches, part of coaching is recruiting talent. For the last three or four years we have not recruited a lot of offensive talent. Look at the offensive line talent. We haven't brought in a decent offensive lineman in five or six years. In 2010 we had a good offensive line. In 2011 we lost Krug and Ryan and the line started to leak. So this year we lost the anchor of our line in Petrus and the line is in disarray. We haven't brought in any one to replace these guys. I haven't seen Akron play, so I can't speak for thier talent, but Western Michigan had more talent than us at WR, QB, OL and RB. The coaches have to find a way to bring in better offensive talent. They have to look at the players they are recruiting and not the stars.

Reaction Score

Devland give up! To say we don't have any talent is ridiculous, and for your info I'm a fan of college football, so yes, I have seen most of the teams play this year. I can tell you that we have better talent than the teams I've listed above and I follow recruiting!

Shakim Phillips has talent you can say what ever you please!

Reaction Score
Look I agree, it is on the coaches, part of coaching is recruiting talent. For the last three or four years we have not recruited a lot of offensive talent. Look at the offensive line talent. We haven't brought in a decent offensive lineman in five or six years. In 2010 we had a good offensive line. In 2011 we lost Krug and Ryan and the line started to leak. So this year we lost the anchor of our line in Petrus and the line is in disarray. We haven't brought in any one to replace these guys. I haven't seen Akron play, so I can't speak for thier talent, but Western Michigan had more talent than us at WR, QB, OL and RB. The coaches have to find a way to bring in better offensive talent. They have to look at the players they are recruiting and not the stars.

Didn't Mo Petrus and Mike Ryan graduate in 2011 (last year)?

Reaction Score

You are brainwashed to think that it's our player's for lack of success and not the coaches!

Reaction Score
Look I agree, it is on the coaches, part of coaching is recruiting talent. For the last three four years we have not recruited a lot of offensive talent. Look at the offensive line talent. We haven't brought in a decent offensive lineman in five or six years. In 2010 we had a good offensive line. In 2011 we lost Krug and Ryan and the line started to leak. So this year we lost the anchor of our line in Petrus and the line is in disarray. We haven't brought in any one to replace these guys. I haven't seen Akron play, so I can't speak for thier talent, but Western Michigan had more talent than us at WR, QB, OL and RB. The coaches have to find a way to bring in better offensive talent. They have to look at the players they are recruiting and not the stars.

Krug in 2011?????? he graduated years ago! Do you know who's coaching the O-line Devland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom