Out of the bottom 10? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Out of the bottom 10?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yup, a defeat at FIU will cancel last weekend. And we have seen many outcomes like a defeat the week after surprise upsets. UConn has to work their butts off this week. As euphoric as we all are here, there was a lot to improve on from last Saturday. A lot to clean up.

Almost every coach will tell you the hardest week of practice for keeping players attention and focus is the week after an upset win.

Reaction Score

1664805454032.png

FIU @ 125 this week.
Fresno State dropped from 52 to 90 after loss

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I was more than a little surprised at how little we moved up in the computers. Given that on the day we were about 25 points better than the computers thought, I would have expected much more of a bump.

We’re three point favorites for Saturday night. Yesterday’s win is a lot more important if it’s followed by another one on Saturday.

One game won't fix our fairly woeful offensive metrics. Defense isn't the 85 bears, either.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They are going to base their entire column on this week's pillow fight. Zero chance they don't go there.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I welcome a return to the Bottom Ten. It will fire up our team and focus them on the upcoming game.

Reaction Score
ZT is going home. Everyone needs to bring 100% for him. Do it for your brother. Do It for all of your brothers!

Reaction Score
If our defense plays like they did this week and the offense stays limits turnovers there’s no reason we can’t finish with 4 or 5 wins
With six games remaining we have already won two, so winning only two of three out of the next winnable six I would take as a disappointment, and I know the coaches would. If the team continues to improve the way it has, dare I say 7 wins. Three of the six are home games IIRC.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This Current Guy isn't really even close to creative. He uses the same tired stuff week after week (U-Can't, U-Mess, FA not U, Georgia Southern not State et all)

The Former guy (I believe it was David something?) was at least funny and changed it up a little every few weeks.

I really find it funny when we belong there, but the same old dribble (Randy Edsall's Charm School week after week after week), Really? Does this clown actually get paid?
The...Something.

1664896732046.png

Husky25

Reaction Score
With six games remaining we have already won two, so winning only two of three out of the next winnable six I would take as a disappointment, and I know the coaches would. If the team continues to improve the way it has, dare I say 7 wins. Three of the six are home games IIRC.
Love the optimism, but 7 wins means UConn goes 5-1 over the remaining schedule. That is bordering on lunacy.

If I'm allowed to recall an old Boston Sports Guy routine, Let's break it down, Dr. Jack style:

FIU - I can certainly see a win at FIU. Neither their offense or defense are very good. and UConn is a road favorite for the first time in eons.

Ball State - A sneaky tough road game. They have a good offense and UConn will not be able to feed off the crowd. Their defense isn't great, but neither is UConn's offense.

BC - Upsetting Louisville notwithstanding, they are not a good P-5 team. On the other hand they have always been at least a step faster and a pound stronger than UConn. Phil Jurkovec is an NFL prospect.

UMass - Friday home game vs a one (maybe two, NMSU) win Bottom 10 team? Sure. I'll mark this down as a win.

Liberty - There are many reasons to ridicule and dislike Liberty University. Their football program, standing on its own, is not one of them. As much as I don't like mixing politics/religious views with sports, I would love for UConn to pull the home upset simply because of their politics/religious views. I just don't see it. Not this season.

Army - While the triple option has basically become a gimmicky attack, it's still really effective. If only because opponents don't practice against it until [name the military academy] week. This is a toss up game at best.

Liberty is a loss. BC is likely a loss, but toss up on the outside. Same for Ball State.

I'd say that the smart money puts UConn at 2-4 over the second half of the season. There is a real possibility for 3-3, and the slightest sliver of hope on the fringes for 4-2 (2-1 in the likely toss up games), but 5-1 seems like Pluto-level "out there" at this point.

Reaction Score
Perish that thought. ;) Let's hope UConn is focused on winning the first series at FIU. A stop on D or a score on O. As they say in hockey, one shift at a time.

Reaction Score
Love the optimism, but 7 wins means UConn goes 5-1 over the remaining schedule. That is bordering on lunacy.

If I'm allowed to recall an old Boston Sports Guy routine, Let's break it down, Dr. Jack style:

FIU - I can certainly see a win at FIU. Neither their offense or defense are very good. and UConn is a road favorite for the first time in eons.

Ball State - A sneaky tough road game. They have a good offense and UConn will not be able to feed off the crowd. Their defense isn't great, but neither is UConn's offense.

BC - Upsetting Louisville notwithstanding, they are not a good P-5 team. On the other hand they have always been at least a step faster and a pound stronger than UConn. Phil Jurkovec is an NFL prospect.

UMass - Friday home game vs a one (maybe two, NMSU) win Bottom 10 team? Sure. I'll mark this down as a win.

Liberty - There are many reasons to ridicule and dislike Liberty University. Their football program, standing on its own, is not one of them. As much as I don't like mixing politics/religious views with sports, I would love for UConn to pull the home upset simply because of their politics/religious views. I just don't see it. Not this season.

Army - While the triple option has basically become a gimmicky attack, it's still really effective. If only because opponents don't practice against it until [name the military academy] week. This is a toss up game at best.

Liberty is a loss. BC is likely a loss, but toss up on the outside. Same for Ball State.

I'd say that the smart money puts UConn at 2-4 over the second half of the season. There is a real possibility for 3-3, and the slightest sliver of hope on the fringes for 4-2 (2-1 in the likely toss up games), but 5-1 seems like Pluto-level "out there" at this point.
Understand what you’re saying but let me ask you something, if someone had asked you a day before we played Fresno State if you thought Fresno State could beat all of UConn’s remaining opponents, would you have said yes or no? Keep in mind UConn was a 22 point underdog.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We are 2-4 and ahead of schedule for wins thanks to Fresno State. This is how the rest of the season will play out:
  • FIU - WIN (they are not good) 3-4 record
  • Ball State - WIN (they are better than FIU and comparable with us, but we are rolling) 4-4 record
  • BC - LOSS (not a blowout and no fake field goal attempts, so a moral victory) 4-5 record
  • UMass - WIN (home game at night after getting embarrassed last year) 5-5 record
  • Liberty - LOSS (probably not a competitive game) 5-6 record
  • Army - WIN (TOUGH one, playing away and last game of the season against a decent and quirky opponent. HOWEVER, if bowl eligibility is on the line for this game, we'll be motivated) 6-6 record BOWLING!

Reaction Score
Understand what you’re saying but let me ask you something, if someone had asked you a day before we played Fresno State if you thought Fresno State could beat all of UConn’s remaining opponents, would you have said yes or no? Keep in mind UConn was a 22 point underdog.

While I admire your optimism, I don't admire your logic. Beating a decent team doesn't make you a decent team. You are a decent team if you can beat a few teams. Could we reasonably win any game on our schedule? Yes, maybe except Liberty. But that's different than winning 5 of 6. If we were playing each of the 6 remaining games this weekend, we would be favorites in 2 and probably dogs by at least a TD in the other 4.

Let me ask you this -- if you went to Vegas and asked the house what odds they'd give you today on UConn winning at least 5 of their remaining games, what odds do you think you'd get?

Husky25

Reaction Score

Of course the "Any given Saturday" theory has some merit. It's why they play, but the transitive property does not extend well to sports, let alone to College Football. Be that as it may, to answer your question, I would have said no. Fresno would not beat all of UConn's remaining opponents.

UConn won and played well defensively (albeit two turnovers were gifts), but gave up a special teams TD (which led them to ceding 30 yards on kickoffs by angling the ball to the center up-men) by missing about a 1/2 dozen tackles, and I don't think they played particularly well, offensively, evidenced by the fact that they only scored 19 points and had the bulk of their passing yards come on two long underthrows to Clercius (1 50/50 ball and 1 gadget play), who needed the gadget play to get that far open to negate the underthrow.

If Joly emerges as a move-the-chains guy, Aaron Turner becomes a threat opposite Clercius, and Marion returns, I'll gladly reassess. In the meantime, I'll enjoy this win.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Of course the "Any given Saturday" theory has some merit. It's why they play, but the transitive property does not extend well to sports, let alone to College Football. Be that as it may, to answer your question, I would have said no. Fresno would not beat all of UConn's remaining opponents.

UConn won and played well defensively (albeit two turnovers were gifts), but gave up a special teams TD (which led them to ceding 30 yards on kickoffs by angling the ball to the center up-men) by missing about a 1/2 dozen tackles, and I don't think they played particularly well, offensively, evidenced by the fact that they only scored 19 points and had the bulk of their passing yards come on two long underthrows to Clercius (1 50/50 ball and 1 gadget play), who needed the gadget play to get that far open to negate the underthrow.

If Joly emerges as a move-the-chains guy, Aaron Turner becomes a threat opposite Clercius, and Marion returns, I'll gladly reassess. In the meantime, I'll enjoy this win.
There's always one wet blanket in the camper.

Husky25

Reaction Score
There's always one wet blanket in the camper.
Ain't it peculiar that they are typically under the leaks? I'd like to see the holes get patched, while others blame the blanket for getting itself wet. That's fine.

Other than that, sweet burn.

Reaction Score
While I admire your optimism, I don't admire your logic. Beating a decent team doesn't make you a decent team. You are a decent team if you can beat a few teams. Could we reasonably win any game on our schedule? Yes, maybe except Liberty. But that's different than winning 5 of 6. If we were playing each of the 6 remaining games this weekend, we would be favorites in 2 and probably dogs by at least a TD in the other 4.

Let me ask you this -- if you went to Vegas and asked the house what odds they'd give you today on UConn winning at least 5 of their remaining games, what odds do you think you'd get?
You don’t seem to realize that UConn is not a team of a set static strength each week. They are getting better with each game and it shows. Why do you ask? They have a new coach who I think is doing a remarkable job. When you have a new coach with the experience Mora has and you give him a team of kids willing to learn some new things, some surprises are in store. When that happens you can throw logic and Vegas odds out the window.

Reaction Score

What would the Vegas odds be for UConn to go undefeated for it’s remaking games? Honest question.

Reaction Score
You don’t seem to realize that UConn is not a team of a set static strength each week. They are getting better with each game and it shows. Why do you ask? They have a new coach who I think is doing a remarkable job. When you have a new coach with the experience Mora has and you give him a team of kids willing to learn some new things, some surprises are in store. When that happens you can throw logic and Vegas odds out the window.
o.k. Another one who thinks that substituting a speech for an answer to a direct question is how you have a conversation. Great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom