OT: Wimbledon | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looking wayyyyy ahead....next year should be an interesting year as well.....if Serena wins today, I'm already chalking up the USOpen as she'll complete the Calendar Grand Slam...next year she has a chance at the Golden Slam....that would be AMAZINGGGGGG if she's able to complete that! That'll be 8 grand slams in a row! Unprecedented but who better to try and accomplish the fea other than the great Serena.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Serena going down today... her serve is stinking up the joint

Reaction Score
Awww, looks like the proverbial **** in the country club punchbowl is gonna ruin the party yet again for the haters!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
welp... not the best looking match but we'll take it

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What more is there to say??? She's now this US Open away from firmly cementing her status as the greatest player with the greatest career in women's tennis. Graf won 22 majors, a calendar year Slam in 1988, and a "Steffi Slam" from the 1993 French Open through the 1994 Aussie. Serena is now seven matches away from equalling those three accomplishments. Throw in her doubles and Olympic success, not to mention her longevity, and there's simply no debate.

The sports cynic in me wonders if something about her is too good to be true, but as long as it's just that some people don't like her, I am awash in admiration and wonderment.

Reaction Score
What more is there to say??? She's now this US Open away from firmly cementing her status as the greatest player with the greatest career in women's tennis. Graf won 22 majors, a calendar year Slam in 1988, and a "Steffi Slam" from the 1993 French Open through the 1994 Aussie. Serena is now seven matches away from equalling those three accomplishments. Throw in her doubles and Olympic success, not to mention her longevity, and there's simply no debate.

The sports cynic in me wonders if something about her is too good to be true, but as long as it's just that some people don't like her, I am awash in admiration and wonderment.
Something like what? Steroids

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Want to see a Sharapova vs Serena in the US Open Finals. Crowd would be fantastic. Don't want to hear Sharapova's screeching though.

Not sure if Serena will win the Grand Slam as there will be so much pressure and Media Attention on her. She will be the story of the tournament the more she keeps winning. Press and TV Coverage will barely cover the Men's side of the bracket as long as Serena wins her matches. So Much Pressure...........

The only thing Serena hasn 't accomplished in Tennis is the Grand Slam. Today's win is her 2nd Serena Slam. Holding all 4 Major Championships at same time

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Want to see a Sharapova vs Serena in the US Open Finals. Crowd would be fantastic. Don't want to hear Sharapova's screeching though.
e

You want to see Sharapova get stomped again?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thanks to a combination of a scheduled date @ 11am...and having the cake store that I thought opened up at 9am but didnt actually open til 10am..... I only got to see the last two games of the match. Was tracking it on the phone..... guess I could have watched it on my phone.... but probably not the best idea to watch tennis while driving/shopping. Glad to see Serena win of course......

and my date is running late :mad: meaning i could have watched it in real time.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Fed and Joker in a battle early.. Joker won the 1st set 7-6, tied at 4 in the 2nd

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, when they played for the U.S. in Davis Cup play, did you root against them?
My point is that, I also love to hate some players, (Skylar comes to mind) but when they represent the U.S., I root for them whole heartedly. Serena, is representing the U.S., so for me, that's who Americans should root for when playing against players representing other countries. I want the want the all time greatest players to be from the U.S.A. On the men's side, you now have Federer, who many consider to be the greatest men's player of all time, without an American in sight. On the women's side we have Graf, arguably the greatest women's player. But, we have Serena, quickly approaching Steffi, need I say any more?
On another note, Martina won 6 straight Grand Slams, unbelievable, considering she played in the best era.
In Wimbledon, French, etc. I don't consider them playing for/representing the USA. They are just players, who happen to be from the USA. They are not wearing USA uniforms or anything like that. In the Olympics, sure I hope they'll win.

Reaction Score
In Wimbledon, French, etc. I don't consider them playing for/representing the USA. They are just players, who happen to be from the USA. They are not wearing USA uniforms or anything like that. In the Olympics, sure I hope they'll win.
Just like in the Olympics, the flag is right beside the players name, I believe.
I could never root against an American going up against a player from another country. I'm for the home team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just like in the Olymphics, the flag is right beside players name, I believe.
Yea, see that's the thing, it's not the Olympics. They are not representing the US. They are representing themselves.

I could never root against an American going up against a player from another country.
So you never root for Nurse when she's guarding a US player?

I'm for the home team.
Uh yea. Williams is on Team Williams. There is no USA team at Wimbledon.

Reaction Score
Yea, see that's the thing, it's not the Olympics. They are not representing the US. They are representing themselves.

So you never root for Nurse when she's guarding a US player?

Uh yea. Williams is on Team Williams. There is no USA team at Wimbledon.
Tennis and other sports, like golf, displays a flag by the name of the player letting the world know which country that player is from. So, yes, imho, that is a representation. I root for Americans.

Nurse represents UConn, period. I root for Kia as long as it's not against our National team.

Is Serena American?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tennis and other sports, like golf, displays a flag by the name of the player letting the world know which country that player is from. So, yes, imho, that is a representation. I root for Americans.
Umm no, You seem pretty confused on this. They are not representing their country. If they were they would have a uniform of that country.

I root for Americans.
That's fine. I root for American teams. In individual sports where they don't represent a country, I just root for who I like. Or against who I don't like.

Nurse represents UConn, period. I root for Kia as long as it's not against our National team.
And Williams isn't playing for our national team. She represents Serena Williams, period.

Is Serena American?
Yea. So?
Is Nurse Canadian? Is Steffi Graf German? Is Margaret Court Australian? Is Kim Clijsters Belgium? Is Zola Budd South African? Since she now lives in S. Carolina is she now African-American?

Reaction Score
Umm no, You seem pretty confused on this. They are not representing their country. If they were they would have a uniform of that country.

That's fine. I root for American teams. In individual sports where they don't represent a country, I just root for who I like. Or against who I don't like.

And Williams isn't playing for our national team. She represents Serena Williams, period.

Yea. So?
Is Nurse Canadian? Is Steffi Graf German? Is Margaret Court Australian? Is Kim Clijsters Belgium? Is Zola Budd South African? Since she now lives in S. Carolina is she now African-American?
Again, I respectfully disagree. Haven't you heard the announcers? They comment all the time about how long it's been since an American male has won a Grand Slam event. They talk all the time about how many Americans are left in the tournament. Do you ever hear them? They, like myself root for Americans in these events.

That's your prerogative to root for who want. So, you don't root for Serena? If not, may I ask why?

She's American, that's all I have to say. How could you possibly root against a player that puts us on top of the tennis world? She is the greatest.

I don't care what country a player is from when they represent UConn. I love Kia Nurse because she chose UConn.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Again, I respectfully disagree. Haven't you heard the announcers? They comment all the time about how long it's been since an American male has won a Grand Slam event. They talk all the time about how many Americans are left in the tournament. Do you ever hear them? They, like myself root for Americans in these events.

That's your prerogative to root for who want. So, you don't root for Serena? If not, may I ask why?

She's American, that's all I have to say. How could you possibly root against a player that puts us on top of the tennis world? She is the greatest.

I don't care what country a player is from when they represent UConn. I love Kia Nurse because she chose UConn.
I understand your point... but I never understood why the say "the Brit" "The Surb" "The Czech" "the Spaniard". I don't think there's a need for it

Reaction Score
I understand your point... but I never understood why the say "the Brit" "The Surb" "The Czech" "the Spaniard". I don't think there's a need for it
I don't know really. Makes the players more identifiable? Gives viewers someone to root for from their own country? I like it though.
Hypothetically speaking, if all the current players were from one country, who would your favorite be?
To tell you the truth, it would be very difficult to pick a favorite. I hated Federer, because I didn't want him to break Pete's GS record. So, I became a Nadal fan. Crazy, I know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc