OT: Wimbledon | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Welcome boys and girls to the greatest show on earth, at this time of year anyway.

Serena is a heavy favorite, having captured the last 2 majors, but hasn't emerged here in the last two,
splitting 2 and 2 this decade with Petra Kvitova, who sits right behind Serena at second seed.
Maria S. ranks high also and has a few majors, including a career Grand Slam. Maria was all smiles in 2004
as a 17 year old, but she hasn't won since.
Serena has 5 trophies.

Sister Venus is the next ranked American at 16 and like Serena has 5 wins, the last in 2008.
It's her favorite tournament, but it's difficult to feel optimistic. She got bounced in the 1st round at the French.
Both sisters don't ready themselves at the grass court warm-ups, so we can't know how Venus is faring with her game. The combo of her age and Sjogrens Syndrome makes it hard to think she can do well for 7 matches in 2 weeks. And if she wins 3 matches, she gets Serena.

The sisters are entered in doubles also, as a 12th seed.

This year Vika Azaranka has been making her way back from a long layoff. She's earned a 23 seed here,
and that could mean a good contest early with a high seed.

Madison Keys is the only other seed from USA, and she sits at 23. The 20 year old likes grass, but just had a disappointing 2nd round loss at Eastbourne.

I'll be back with the men.

ESPN at 7am eastern for the first 5 days.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The NY Times has begun features on the players, but it puzzles me that they continue
with the Big 4 label. Until further notice, we must include Stan Wawrinka, the French champ who took down
Novak and also another recent Major. Stan is seeded 4th, behind Novak, Roger and Andy. The final member of the big 5 is Rafa,
who is slowly working his way back, slowly cause he did not win a single clay title this year.
So this is one year that it would be a surprise, if he wins.
Novak is a touch wobbly, having lost a grass court tune-up.
Certainly Roger and Andy are quite capable of pulling off a championship.

We can't offer hope among the Americans. Jack Sock got the furthest at the French, barely making it to the 2nd
week. But that's further than John Isner. A fast court is good for John's serve. Watch him win his serve
every time, fail to break his opponent every time, and lose in the tiebreaker.
John is 17 here, Jack is 31.
Unseeded Sam Querry had a good run-up.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Serena's sought of Aussie Opens went from 2010 to 2015. Her drought of French Opens went from 1002 to 2013. Her U.S. Open drought was 2008 to 2012. Can she taste a Slam???

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Serena has a tough draw needing to get past Venus, Azarenka and Sharapova (potentially) just to make the finals. On the men's side, they gave top seed Novak a much easier draw putting Murray, Fed, and Rafa on the other side of the draw...

Reaction Score
Serena has a tough draw needing to get past Venus, Azarenka and Sharapova (potentially) just to make the finals. On the men's side, they gave top seed Novak a much easier draw putting Murray, Fed, and Rafa on the other side of the draw...
That's if one of the three women mentioned above, don't get upset. Which is highly likely these days.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
what day does televised matches start?

Reaction Score
I think this one would be harder for her to win than the US Open would be. She has no play time as of yet on grass (as per her usual), and will probably be quite rusty early on. When she loses at Slams, it's almost always in the quarterfinals or earlier, such as her loss at Wimbledon last year in the 3rd round to Cornet.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The minutes to the start at 7 are rapidly diminishing.
USA's 37 year old Bryan twins are going for their 18th Major championship.
Spain's David Ferrer is a notable last minute scratch with elbow issues. He has been a reliable quarter or semi performer over the years.

Expect Serena about 1pm vs. a Russian qualifier.
Venus gets fellow American Madison Brengle in the late afternoon/early evening.

Enjoy!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
CORRECTION: I gave you the Serena time in British terms. She has just entered the court now at 8am our time.
Novak also has just come on.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Day 2 is nearing completion, with Murray having some trouble with his Kazakh opponent (remembering that Novak began tennis in a Serbian swimming pool, I must wonder if Kazakhistan has tennis courts). The Scot pulled out set 2 in a breaker.
The Canadian Bouchard is having big trouble with an unknown Chinese named Duan. The newcomer is about to serve for the match.
...and the Canadian is done in her opening round. We hope her declining fortunes don't rub off on her Husky countrywoman.

Yesterday the Sisters did their job. As she typically does, Serena began at 0-2, but righted herself and won in 2.
Venus did not give up even one game, and I'll say nothing more(mojo).
Some of you are quite interested in Sloane Stephens, who has not been advancing lately. I can report that her unseeded self knocked off the #27 in 2.

No. 3 Simona Halep is down 4-1 in the deciding set.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
A disappointing footnote: without explanation the Sisters have pulled out of doubles.
And #3 Simona is gone.
Meyers is joining Le Tour. Respond here if you will miss him.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A disappointing footnote: without explanation the Sisters have pulled out of doubles.
And #3 Simona is gone.
Meyers is joining Le Tour. Respond here if you will miss him.
crickets.jpg

Reaction Score

They haven't done doubles together this year. This is a good decision, IMO, because at their age it's probably better to concentrate on what's left of their singles careers. If they really, really want to play doubles, they can do so after they're no longer competitive on singles.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
They haven't done doubles together this year. This is a good decision, IMO, because at their age it's probably better to concentrate on what's left of their singles careers. If they really, really want to play doubles, they can do so after they're no longer competitive on singles.

Well shucks, I"m not in favor of wisdom. I just want to be delighted in seeing them as teammates.:D

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Day 3 is underway. Madison Keys had her match postponed with a 2-2 score in the deciding set.
She'll resume within a few minutes.
The Sisters are up in Wimbledon's late afternoon, maybe about 12- 1pm Eastern.
#5 Kei Nishikori has withdrawn with injury.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Did Keys win, the Joker is on right now ESPN

Reaction Score
As a huge women's tennis fan I have to say and also agree with Evert this is probably one of the weakest eras of women's tennis. Serena should be able to win the next year without even a whimper. The men's game is so exciting right now with Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Wawrinka and Murray. The women's game is so empty with no competition or exciting rivalries. The women have a bunch of C plus players like Kvitova and Halep that can also lose 6 love at the drop of the hat. Remember Bouchard and Sloane Stephens and Ivanovic and Azaranka and Errani. It's a sad time for women's tennis. There's no Graf/Seles or Evert/Navratolova or Capriati/Venus. Just a boring time for the women's game. This is the first year I have no interest in the women's game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Serena wins... Venus is in a tight one but up a set

Reaction Score
Venus has a terrible health issue and is almost 35 but she still can beat 99% of these horrible women tennis players. I think women's tennis is dead.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I get the picture... you just wrote a small essay of your opinion. I'm still tuning in, whomever isn't impressed move on. No one is forced to watch today's tennis

Reaction Score
Ok sorry just really disappointed in the women's game but your right. I'll just continue watching the men ( which may I say are ready exciting. ) I'm assuming the best women's athletes in the world don't bother with tennis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom