OT - Which HBO/Max Series Next? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT - Which HBO/Max Series Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ray Donovan is pretty lackluster through the first four episodes, but then it gets really, really good. Jon Voight is fantastic.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Someone here mentioned 'Orphan Black'. Well, I started it and I love it. A+

Thanks.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Oy vey. I'm not really sure what to say to this beyond there's no accounting for taste. Maybe you were too distracted by the fact that season one wasn't in HD.

For whoever's in the middle of season one, there's no exposition. You're not spoon fed plot, so it takes awhile. It's not dumbed down with voiceovers and whatnot. Some people dig the payoff, some don't.
*spoiler alert for those who haven't made it to part way through season two*

I guess my one big problem so far is that all the players who just got trounced in season one are suddenly back together again through some weird coincidence in season two. It just feels way too contrived. Maybe what happens going forward will make up for it.

The other thing I have a problem with is higher ups being so concerned with political agendas that they don't let their people do real work. Maybe I'm naive but that just doesn't sound like a situation that would actually happen.

Like I said - I like it generally and I want to see what happens next, but I don't have near the anticipation of the next episode as I did for GOT or Sopranos.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The other thing I have a problem with is higher ups being so concerned with political agendas that they don't let their people do real work. Maybe I'm naive but that just doesn't sound like a situation that would actually happen.

You ever hung out in Baltimore?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
*spoiler alert for those who haven't made it to part way through season two*

I guess my one big problem so far is that all the players who just got trounced in season one are suddenly back together again through some weird coincidence in season two. It just feels way too contrived. Maybe what happens going forward will make up for it.

Like I said - I like it generally and I want to see what happens next, but I don't have near the anticipation of the next episode as I did for GOT or Sopranos.

You wouldn't believe how much politics plays into how our police department conducts business day to day. Imagine it would be that much worse in a large city like Baltimore

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
jleves said:
*spoiler alert for those who haven't made it to part way through season two* I guess my one big problem so far is that all the players who just got trounced in season one are suddenly back together again through some weird coincidence in season two. It just feels way too contrived. Maybe what happens going forward will make up for it. The other thing I have a problem with is higher ups being so concerned with political agendas that they don't let their people do real work. Maybe I'm naive but that just doesn't sound like a situation that would actually happen. Like I said - I like it generally and I want to see what happens next, but I don't have near the anticipation of the next episode as I did for GOT or Sopranos.

Stick with it. Seriously. It is really dense story telling with a lot of players. So many first time viewers feel the exact same way as you and then when they get through the series see that season one and two really hold up. It is so much to process at first, it takes a while to get the hooks in. For that reason for me, the wire has better rewatch value than any show ever created.

As for contrived, it is actually quite the opposite. The wire is real in ways that other shows dare not even dream of touching. The show creators simon and burns were on the Baltimore news paper and the police force respectively. For example:
Omar is a real person, no kidding.

You are actually ahead of the game if you just "like " it halfway through season 2. I know people who hated the first 2 seasons ( season 2 in particular) and ended up sticking through and it's their favorite show now.

I don't make many guarantees in life but I will bet your estimation of this series will continue to rise as you keep going.

Reaction Score
The other thing I have a problem with is higher ups being so concerned with political agendas that they don't let their people do real work.

That's more or less the central theme of the entire series.

I felt the same way about the "contrived" way they got the gang back together for season 2. But that's not something that repeats every season.

As others have said, seasons 3 and 4 are generally thought to be the best of the series (and some would argue of all time). I think you really appreciate the show as you start to see everything come together in later seasons. Season 1 does seem like a police procedural but that's not what the show is. It's a story about a doomed American city more than anything else, just with fascinating characters and some pretty incredible story lines in seasons 3 and 4 in particular.

Reaction Score
Through the first 2 seasons, you don't have a full picture of the network of "The Wire" yet. Stick with it. The 5 seasons all tie in together and wrap up perfectly.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Someone here mentioned 'Orphan Black'. Well, I started it and I love it. A+

Thanks.

I started watching a couple months ago and am now current. It's a faced paced show and the main actress does a good job portraying multiple characters. I am also enjoying it.

Reaction Score
If you haven't watched Band of Brothers

1) What's wrong with you?
2) Go watch it five times over.

It's the only show I can watch over and over again. And not only does it not get old after so any times, it gets better. Ten episodes, all one-hour long so it won't take too long to get through. But when you finish it you'll be upset it's over.

The Pacific is along the same lines, but on (believe it or not) the pacific front. Same producers but not as good as BoB but still very good. Characters aren't written as well and there isn't as much of an attachment, but I think it portrays the horrors of war in a way not much else has.

Otherwise if you want to look outside of HBO: Breaking Bad and Lost.

Comedy-wise 30-minute shows: blue mountain state, workaholics, parks and rec, the league. They're all awesome

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I started watching a couple months ago and am now current. It's a faced paced show and the main actress does a good job portraying multiple characters. I am also enjoying it.

And she's hot! (can't help it)

I def agree with that sentiment though. Everyone of her characters feels like a totally different person. I don't even think of it as the same person portraying diff characters. Really well done.

And the flamboyant gay guy is funny as hell. Black cop probably has one of the all time great TV scowls.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Through the first 2 seasons, you don't have a full picture of the network of "The Wire" yet. Stick with it. The 5 seasons all tie in together and wrap up perfectly.

Plus, if you are just looking for a pure plot driven story, that's not where The Wire shines, though the plot is decent. Greatness of The Wire is in the acting, character development, setting/cinematography, pace of the storytelling, and overall vibe of the show. Best acting I've ever seen on a TV show by far.

And if you can't laugh at the Bunk, there's something wrong with you.

Funny thing about The Wire is how quickly it became dated. Cell phones became popular right during the making of it, and now with all the tech in the world, the 'technical snafus' in The Wire seems laughable.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Plus, if you are just looking for a pure plot driven story, that's not where The Wire shines, though the plot is decent. Greatness of The Wire is in the acting, character development, setting/cinematography, pace of the storytelling, and overall vibe of the show. Best acting I've ever seen on a TV show by far.

And if you can't laugh at the Bunk, there's something wrong with you.

Funny thing about The Wire is how quickly it became dated. Cell phones became popular right during the making of it, and now with all the tech in the world, the 'technical snafus' in The Wire seems laughable.

The tech is dated, but the social commentary especially in seasons 3 (war on drugs) and 4 (education) is as valid and I might dare to say MORE valid today than a decade ago.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The tech is dated, but the social commentary especially in seasons 3 (war on drugs) and 4 (education) is as valid and I might dare to say MORE valid today than a decade ago.

Also today's mess of bureaucracy and politics. I think the "feel" of it is dated, as you mention, in the 1st season or two.

Reaction Score
Stick with it. Seriously. It is really dense story telling with a lot of players. So many first time viewers feel the exact same way as you and then when they get through the series see that season one and two really hold up. It is so much to process at first, it takes a while to get the hooks in. For that reason for me, the wire has better rewatch value than any show ever created.

As for contrived, it is actually quite the opposite. The wire is real in ways that other shows dare not even dream of touching. The show creators simon and burns were on the Baltimore news paper and the police force respectively. For example:
Omar is a real person, no kidding.

You are actually ahead of the game if you just "like " it halfway through season 2. I know people who hated the first 2 seasons ( season 2 in particular) and ended up sticking through and it's their favorite show now.

I don't make many guarantees in life but I will bet your estimation of this series will continue to rise as you keep going.

Snoop is an actual felon. They put out ads in the paper for people to be extras and she showed up and they fell in love with her realness and street appeal they made her a somewhat central character.

Season 2 is slow but very important to the how season 3-5 progress. Season 3 is when things start to take off. So much better than game of thrones. Its just a real, accurate portrayal of the street life and every aspect that has to do with the street activities. Its layered and does a unparalleled portrayal of all the aspects.

Reaction Score
I still dislike season 2 and it remains my favorite show of all time.

Reaction Score

That's what I realized while re-watching The Sopranos this spring. A lot of what the show talked about 10 years ago is very relevant today, and perhaps was ahead of its time back then.

Reaction Score
have to 2nd house of cards... Kevin Spacey absolutely kills it in that...

Reaction Score
johnhuskies95 said:
Ray Donovan is pretty lackluster through the first four episodes, but then it gets really, really good. Jon Voight is fantastic.

Season two just started. Awesome.

Reaction Score
jleves said:
The consensus pick has been The Wire and I'm halfway through the second season and while it's good, I'm not seeing how it got so much praise. Does it get better? I like watching it but it's nowhere near Game of Thrones or The Sopranos. It's kind of like an episode of Law and Order drawn out over 12 or 13 weeks with some swearing and a few gratuitous naked scenes. At least I now know the reference to 'Omar's coming!'

You weren't hooked after the opening scene?

"this is America. You gotta let him play"

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
And she's hot! (can't help it) I def agree with that sentiment though. Everyone of her characters feels like a totally different person. I don't even think of it as the same person portraying diff characters. Really well done. And the flamboyant gay guy is funny as hell. Black cop probably has one of the all time great TV scowls.

Which one of her do you like the best?

Reaction Score
I just finished The Americans last night after discovering Season 1 on Amazon Prime, after 2 seasons its probably my favorite current show airing right now. FX needs to step up the promotion, its a shame that show is going overlooked.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Which one of her do you like the best?

Tough tough call. Going drinking? Helena. Too much fun.

Probably Sarah overall. I like street smarts.

Though it would be nice to be a chick and into Kasima.

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
Tough tough call. Going drinking? Helena. Too much fun. Probably Sarah overall. I like street smarts. Though it would be nice to be a chick and into Kasima.

I dig Kasima. But Rachel had that cold bitchyness. Helena is a train wreck lol. Sestra. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom