OT - Which HBO/Max Series Next? | The Boneyard

OT - Which HBO/Max Series Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm caught up on Game of Thrones (best thing ever on the small screen) and True Blood. I've watched all the Sopranos. Which of the cable network series should I start on next? I've watched zero of anything else out there (Dexter/Veep, etc.) I do get all the paid networks so I should be able to get anything On Demand.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wire. Hands down. Or. Battlestar Galactica

Double Like the above.

If you dig science fiction, Battlestar is the way to go. Miniseries Pilot + 4 seasons. And series is complete. Also 2 extra movies concerning same characters if you are interested.

If you are into reality/police drama (with humor), The Wire (though dated now, amazingly enough) has some of the best acting you'll find anywhere. Might have to give it a few episodes to get into the rhythm.

If you are into Politics: House of Cards is awesome (though only 2 seasons in right now).

If you are into historical European stuff: Vikings is really good. Also only 2 seasons in.

If you want British comedy/drama that most people haven't seen, but is actually pretty decent: Sherlock. Only 3 episodes per season, but 1.5 hours per. Three seasons total.

If you like tech nerds, Silicon Valley is absolutely hilarious. Only a handful of episodes into the first season though.

Some people swear by The Walking Dead. I've watched every episode, and think it's quality is not so hot right now. Though the last half of the latest season was fairly good.

Also hear good things about Orange Is the New Black. I just started so I don't have any impression myself.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Side note: really surprised how many people love GOT and haven't read the books. I would have thought it would be really hard to follow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You pretty much can't go wrong with any HBO show- Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, True Detective, Six Feet Under etc. I also tell everyone to check out Justified and I am really enjoying Fargo.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You pretty much can't go wrong with any HBO show- Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, True Detective, Six Feet Under etc. I also tell everyone to check out Justified and I am really enjoying Fargo.

I haven't been able to get into that. How long did it take you?

Reaction Score
Start with the Wire, then watch the Wire again. I liked Spartacus on Starz and Boardwalk Empire on HBO.

Reaction Score

Granted, I watched the first season while my girlfriend was sick in a Paris hotel room, so my memory of it is a little hazy, but as I recall the first season was more of an episodic thing where they introduced a new story line every week. In subsequent seasons it starts to tell a more comprehensive story and it really takes off. I wasn't very into the first season but the next couple have been, in my opinion, absolutely fantastic.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Start with the Wire, then watch the Wire again. I liked Spartacus on Starz and Boardwalk Empire on HBO.

That's one I forgot. Great show. Although the acting of the lead character took a hit quality wise when the original guy sadly passed away.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Granted, I watched the first season while my girlfriend was sick in a Paris hotel room, so my memory of it is a little hazy, but as I recall the first season was more of an episodic thing where they introduced a new story line every week. In subsequent seasons it starts to tell a more comprehensive story and it really takes off. I wasn't very into the first season but the next couple have been, in my opinion, absolutely fantastic.

Will give it another chance at some point.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The Wire is awesome. Watch that if you haven't seen it yet.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I knew this was the right place to ask - first 5 of The Wire downloading now. There are no On Demand options for Battlestar Gallactica on DirecTV.

Reaction Score
Yup as Big Ern said the first season is more episodic and it really takes off after that. Seasons 2 and 3 were probably my favorites, the villains and storytelling was off the charts good, season 4 also had a great and complicated story. Season 5 finished up and while it was still very good TV it didn't hold up to the previous 3 seasons but it set the tables for an awesome 6th and final season.

Reaction Score
Californication is a guilty pleasure of mine. Dexter was awesome like every other season. Weeds was a fun one for the first few seasons then fell off a cliff. Sons of Anarchy is a great show, but I haven't watched the latest season yet. Been meaning to get started on House of Cards, but the gf won't let me start without her...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I knew this was the right place to ask - first 5 of The Wire downloading now. There are no On Demand options for Battlestar Gallactica on DirecTV.

Do you have the capability to watch any type of video files? I can get you BSG if you can watch .mkv files.

PM if you want.

Reaction Score
I knew this was the right place to ask - first 5 of The Wire downloading now.

Stick with it. There's absolutely zero exposition so it takes a while to figure things out, but when you do it's, in my opinion, far and away the best drama I've ever seen on TV.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Do you have the capability to watch any type of video files? I can get you BSG if you can watch .mkv files.

PM if you want.
I'll start with the Wire and look around for BSG.

But thanks for the offer!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
And if you've been living under a rock for the last few years, do yourself a favor and watch Breaking Bad.

Reaction Score
Girl's Guide To Depravity on Cinemax, only because the lead actress is a cute little smokeshow (imo, of course - I'm sure not everyone would agree). And on the West Coast, you can watch the stuff on Cinemax East at 9 pm and just go back to regular prime time programming if the people getting naked aren't to your liking (and no need to worry about forgetting to delete your DVR or clear your browser history).

Nice thing about GGTD is that it at least tries to be a legit drama with effort put into the writing and everything, so, you know, you don't have to feel ashamed. It's art!

But if you want a truly interesting, quality series where you care about the plot and eveything, try The Wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom