OT: Travelers Golf | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Travelers Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Amazing what some heavy air and wet grass does for that course. Par from the fairway becomes tough.

A double Bubba for the Traveler's.
And the crowds looked OK today. Was nice to see. Lots of positives.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And the crowds looked OK today. Was nice to see. Lots of positives.

Yes, the crowds looked really strong. Announcers even noticed how deep the crowds were around 18.

Reaction Score
Crowds were great on a tough day for sure. Impressive Sunday. Fun finish 18 played tough without roll as did many others. Fun to watch.

Reaction Score
The quality of the field will always be dependent on the location of the US Open. The closer it is to Ct., the better chance of getting a better field.

You still have Bubba, Keegan Ernie Else, Vijay, Toms, Harrington, Cabrera, Love III and Cink who have all won majors.

Throw in Sergio, Molinari, Baddeley, Donald, Snedeker, Reed and Mahan who have all been on Ryder Cup or President Cup teams.

If that's the "down" year, you are doing okay.

Course looks great, I'd like to see 17 get about 15-20 yard longer. 15-18 are a great finish, but I'd like to see one of them require the players to put the brakes on a little bit.

The Travelers is scheduled to be the week after the US Open for the foreseeable future. Ironically enough, a west coast US Open actually helps the field. The tournament provides a charter flight from the US Open direct to Bradley, pretty much giving any player who wants to go 4 free seats. It helps getting European based players, for guys like Ernie Els, Paddy Harrington, Paul Casey, Luke Donald, Garcia, and (whichever) Molinari....the selling point is that it breaks up the trip back home, while giving them a go at a $6M purse.

The tournament on life support not too long ago with Buick and the bridge year, the Travelers saved the tournament.

Reaction Score
I also think the stipulation about the British Open qualifying spots might help get some players.

Four players who finish in the top 12 and ties in the Travelers Championship, who are not already exempt, will earn the 144th Open at St. Andrews July 16-19.

This was big as Luke Donald (former world #1) got in today based on his performance at Travelers. Also had a lot of the top finishers from US Open...Branden Grace, Louis Oostheuizen. Great field this year I think

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
I personally think we had a great field this week but if you want even more quality players what they should do is increase the top prize and lower some of the lower prizes. If there's a 1.6 or 1.7 million prize (which would just be a little lower then the majors) for the win some of the top players who know they would shoot low on this course would be more inclined to come and try to win that money.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I personally think we had a great field this week but if you want even more quality players what they should do is increase the top prize and lower some of the lower prizes. If there's a 1.6 or 1.7 million prize (which would just be a little lower then the majors) for the win some of the top players who know they would shoot low on this course would be more inclined to come and try to win that money.

The problem is that no matter how high you make the top prize it's a drop in the bucket for the top 10-15 players in the world. Even Bubba doesn't need to come to the Traveler's for money any more. These guys are banking $10M+ between tournament money, endorsements and paid appearances. An increase in top prize money of another $100K isn't going to change their behavior if the big goal is to win the British Open.

The tournament is fine right now. As several others have noted, the improvements in the facility (driving range, club house, etc), the chartered flight from wherever the US Open is played, the opportunity to make the British Open and a relatively stress free layout after the US Open is plenty good.

Not gonna get Spieth, McIlroy, Phil or Tiger. But pretty much everyone else is a possibility.

Reaction Score
I thought the quality of participants was great this year. Course looked solid from my viewpoint on the couch - wish i could have gotten up there this year but will definitely plan on it next year.

Reaction Score
The Travelers flies these guys and families from their last tourney to Hartford and basically treats them like royalty. The course is easy for them, no wonder they like it here. There are plenty of unruly and stupid fans giving them advice on every tee so I don't get on them for fan interaction. My favorite was some years ago when a guy yelled for Greg Norman to keep his head down during his swing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not being a golfer, I had always thought having a par-4 reachable from the tee was kind of cheesy even though I found it to be an excellent hole for spectators when I have attended. But I got the feeling that this year's U.S. Open really legitimized a hole like that. And it seemed to be a good, unique challenge yesterday.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not being a golfer, I had always thought having a par-4 reachable from the tee was kind of cheesy even though I found it to be an excellent hole for spectators when I have attended. But I got the feeling that this year's U.S. Open really legitimized a hole like that. And it seemed to be a good, unique challenge yesterday.

Nantz did a good job yesterday explaining how a short par 4 can enhance a course and a tournament. He provided examples of several other courses that have them and how the hole fits in to the course as a whole. St. Andrew's will have three of them in a few weeks.

Reaction Score
Nantz did a good job yesterday explaining how a short par 4 can enhance a course and a tournament. He provided examples of several other courses that have them and how the hole fits in to the course as a whole. St. Andrew's will have three of them in a few weeks.
But they weren't designed that way... just got run over by technology and athletes.

Reaction Score
Bubba is a straight up ! He whines like a little bitch if there is any noise or movement on the course as he is entitled to total silence out there. My kids love going every year and we have most of the holes laid out where they can get close to the ropes and get some high 5's and fist pumps from the players. Last year they got a glove from Zach Johnson and a ball from Sergio which was really cool. Anyway, EVERY player who came by the kids either slapped their hands or gave them a fist pump except for Captain ! When he blew them off on #8 he dropped one in the bunker. I ripped him.... Bubbas caddy looked over as I laughed my ass off. For the record, I have never missed that green when I've played the TPC. Most of these guys are great but I can't stand this tool!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
But they weren't designed that way... just got run over by technology and athletes.

St. Andrew's maybe not. But TPC Scottsdale, Riviera, Chambers Bay and TPC River Highlands were designed that way.

Reaction Score
Travelers has had the week following the US Open since they became the lead sponsor. Next year is the Olympics and they will have an even less desirable slot.
However, the field was fine and I understood that Spieth and Day were coming until their Open experiences. Tickets may be a little pricey and the back nine more interesting than the front, but I think it's fun.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Travelers has had the week following the US Open since they became the lead sponsor. Next year is the Olympics and they will have an even less desirable slot.
However, the field was fine and I understood that Spieth and Day were coming until their Open experiences. Tickets may be a little pricey and the back nine more interesting than the front, but I think it's fun.
Day was committed but understandably had to withdraw, Speith was never coming

Reaction Score

The olympics may actually make the tournament more desirable. Could see a bunch of the international guys show up.

According to federation rules, the 60 players will be determined by an Olympic Golf Ranking list to be published on the IGF website and is based on a player's official world golf ranking.

All players within the top-15 of the rankings as of July 11, 2016, will be eligible, with one big caveat: No more than four players can come from any one country. The rest of the field will be determined by the world golf rankings, with a maximum of two players per country for countries that don't have more than two players in the top-15

Reaction Score
The olympics may actually make the tournament more desirable. Could see a bunch of the international guys show up.

According to federation rules, the 60 players will be determined by an Olympic Golf Ranking list to be published on the IGF website and is based on a player's official world golf ranking.

All players within the top-15 of the rankings as of July 11, 2016, will be eligible, with one big caveat: No more than four players can come from any one country. The rest of the field will be determined by the world golf rankings, with a maximum of two players per country for countries that don't have more than two players in the top-15

I didn't realize the date might change. Is there an official date? I don't want to see it go against the Olympics and if they can possibly keep it before July 11 that would be really ideal since I think you would get a lot of the guys that are trying to qualify.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I was on the hill by the 16th Green/17th Tee on Friday. Never seen 16 play that tough, almost nobody could park it close off the tee. I think the warm conditions drying out the green in the afternoon made it really tough, balls were rolling off both sides more than usual.

Then the deluge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99