OT: St. John's wants to hire Chris Mullin | The Boneyard

OT: St. John's wants to hire Chris Mullin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He has never coached at any level and they want him to bring SJU back? huh?

Reaction Score
Its all going to depend on how he can recruit. Hes spent his post NBA career in front office positions and broadcasting so jumping to a college head coaching position is hard after not even having experience as an assistant. It may take him a while to get on his feet as far as recruiting goes with making contacts etc.

Reaction Score
Maybe he can bring in some guys who play the game like he did. Now that's basketball. Hope it works out for them and Chris, good guy!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He has never coached at any level and they want him to bring SJU back? huh?
And KO's resume spelled what head coaching experience?
Listen, like KO, Mullin is a basketball guy, and he will find it difficult but I feel he will be fine
He's one of the good guys

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's used to the NBA lifestyle as a player and an administrator.

He's never coached before. He's never run a program. He's never been an assistant.

Worked great for Houston when they hired Clyde Drexler.

To some extent, it will come down to Mullins' work ethic - he'll either learn and work or he won't.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The 80s called. They want the glory days back

Reaction Score
Interesting to see their outside shooters they recruit. But I still would have preferred they reached out to Mark Jackson. Perhaps they did and he declined or was to expensive.

Anyway Catholic school and a Preacher coach would have been an interesting story.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If they want an ex-Johnnie they should hire Mark Jackson if anyone, instead of Mullin

Reaction Score
When the two schools, located in the BE's largest, most exciting cities can't attract a rising star to coach their teams, it really says a lot about the true perception of that league. I'd really be nervous if I were a fan of Villanova, Marquette, or Georgetown. Xavier, Butler, and Creighton will be ok. They're used to competing successfully as mid majors. SJU, DePaul, PC, and SH have been mid majors in reality, if not name for years now. The other three are used to running with the big boys. This league has about 3 years left to establish itself as a true factor in the game.

Reaction Score
Just for comedic purposes, it would be great if they hired Ron Artest, who has publicly campaigned for the job.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A 51 year old first time HC that has never even been an assistant? This will not end well.

I think people will be surprised at how many kids know who Chris Mullins is. Any kid that has Xbox or PlayStation and cares about basketball knows how Chris Mullins is, because he is in both the NBA2K series and NBA Jam.

Reaction Score
A 51 year old first time HC that has never even been an assistant? This will not end well.

I think people will be surprised at how many kids know who Chris Mullins is. Any kid that has Xbox or PlayStation and cares about basketball knows how Chris Mullins is, because he is in both the NBA2K series and NBA Jam.

And the original Dream Team, which no one will ever forget about.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And the original Dream Team, which no one will ever forget about.

Teenagers don't know what the original Dream Team is. But they all know Golden State 1990-1991 in NBA2K because it is one of the most fun teams to play with in the game. Any kid that has NBA Jam has unlocked Chris Mullin and then just jacked up 3 pointers with impunity in that game. It is amazing what a big impact these games have on kids. I coach kids, and I have 10 and 11 year olds talking to me about Larry Bird or Wilt Chamberlain or Gail Goodrich because of NBA2K13 or 14 or 15.

Reaction Score
And KO's resume spelled what head coaching experience?
Listen, like KO, Mullin is a basketball guy, and he will find it difficult but I feel he will be fine
He's one of the good guys

At least, Ollie got some seasoning as an assistant. Mullin has no ties to the college game and now he's trying to rebuild a program in a highly competitive market. SJU would have been better off with Massiello or the Hurleys. At least, they are acclimated with the current state of college basketball and intricacies of recruiting local talent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's used to the NBA lifestyle as a player and an administrator...

To some extent, it will come down to Mullins' work ethic - he'll either learn and work or he won't.

I'm gonna take the latter and give the points.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting situation. While a lot of high school kids may not have heard of him, he can sell the "I'm a hall of famer" line that few former pros turned coaches can use. Plus he was a dream teamer, plus he's the greatest player at his school, plus the NYC connection. I feel like NYC is unique in that the bball players know the legends due to the playground scene. Mullin was a Brooklyn kid and developed a big rep on the playgrounds before ever playing at STJ. There's a pretty cool documentary about NYC Playground basketball and all of the players know the guys who played there before.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting situation. While a lot of high school kids may not have heard of him, he can sell the "I'm a hall of famer" line that few former pros turned coaches can use. Plus he was a dream teamer, plus he's the greatest player at his school, plus the NYC connection. I feel like NYC is unique in that the bball players know the legends due to the playground scene. Mullin was a Brooklyn kid and developed a big rep on the playgrounds before ever playing at STJ. There's a pretty cool documentary about NYC Playground basketball and all of the players know the guys who played there before.

None of that can hurt, but in my opinion, it's minor stuff. He's going to have to succeed on his abilities. The team won 20+ games, and went to the NCAAs this year. If he wins 12 games next year, that will matter more than all of his accomplishments as a player, and the other coaches will hammer him to recruits as being in over his head. You better believe that is how coaches operate. They will hammer on any negative they can find. Not unlike P5 coaches telling kids that both UConn, and all of the Big East schools are mid-majors now. Finding a soft spot in the competition and exploiting it is how you win at recruiting.

Reaction Score
Leitao to DePaul? Mullin to St. John's?

Ladies and gentlement, the New Big East!

Reaction Score
St. John's stopped caring about basketball after the scandals under Price. They are more concerned with showbiz now. They went to the tv studio for their last coach and he was so mediocre they did it again.

Reaction Score
None of that can hurt, but in my opinion, it's minor stuff. He's going to have to succeed on his abilities. The team won 20+ games, and went to the NCAAs this year. If he wins 12 games next year, that will matter more than all of his accomplishments as a player, and the other coaches will hammer him to recruits as being in over his head. You better believe that is how coaches operate. They will hammer on any negative they can find. Not unlike P5 coaches telling kids that both UConn, and all of the Big East schools are mid-majors now. Finding a soft spot in the competition and exploiting it is how you win at recruiting.

If he can bring it talent, the coaching part is not as important. This board loves to rip on Self, Roy, and Calipari as "bad" coaches who can only win b/c of their talent level. NYC isn't what it used to be in terms of talent, but if he can keep those kids home he could have a great talent base to build around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom