OT: South Carolina Floods | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: South Carolina Floods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The rainfall totals in South Carolina per weather.com
map_specnewsdct-22_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

It's really crazy to think about how much rain some of these places got. They are saying most of the flooding shouldn't clear up until the the end of the week because so much water is flowing down river from the heavy rainfall in Central SC and Columbia. I was in Charlotte over the weekend and expecting upwards of 10" of rain - it rained a little bit but seemed like it mostly blew over. Nothing noteworthy here (Charlotte, that is).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yep. Good news is that voluntary flood insurance is usually very cheap. Mando flood insurance? Not so deep. I wouldn't ever buy in FEMA flood zone.

My parents got zoned as one AFTER the fact - 25 years after purchasing the home. And no other house on the street is. My father has been fighting it for 2 years. It is expensive to the point that it is making them rethink staying in the home (they are retired).

Reaction Score
My father lives in Mount Pleasant nearby. He returned yesterday from a wedding of my sister in Houston to find his home had been spared but a pond behind his house is now most of his backyard. Said it took him a while to get home because of all the flooding damage. On a visit to him about two years ago we went to downtown Charleston to a restaurant called Fleet Landing. During our protracted mostly liquid lunch that included several dozen oysters on the half shell it rained hard. When we left, all of downtown was flooded. We had to take off our shoes and wade through feet of water about a half mile to our car. Many downtown businesses were flooded. That was after about 3 inches of rain, I can only imagine how bad this must be.
Charleston is a very cool city with lots of nice restaurants, clubs, history and walking trails. If you get a chance to go, after it dries out of course, I recommend it. I feel terrible for the loss there as the people I have met were very nice and hospitable. I'm sure they will recover but feel terrible for them. My dad was very lucky to only be inconvenienced by this. My prayers are with you Charleston and the Low Country.

Reaction Score
I live in Murrells Inlet (12 miles south of Myrtle Beach). We got almost 17 inches of rain between Thursday night and Monday. Our area only had some minor flooding with no damage to speak of. A lot of closures due to inability to get to places due to excessive water on the roads. Rain is now over but more flooding expected later in the week as rivers will rise. Fortunately, we live in an area that is relatively new. It was developed with a decent drainage system to move excess water away from homes.

Reaction Score
South Carolina officials just announced their game against LSU will be moved to Baton Rouge. Even in the face of a $3.8 million hit in lost ticket sales and related revenue, Colombia just can't handle a surge of 85K people coming into the city when roads are washed out and first responders are desperately needed elsewhere. LSU and Vanderbilt (USC's next home opponent) have already announced various initiatives to help, which is not a surprise, especially in LSU's case after what they went through during Katrina. Props to the SEC for watching each others back when something tragic comes up that makes everyone realize that football is just a game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My parents got zoned as one AFTER the fact - 25 years after purchasing the home. And no other house on the street is. My father has been fighting it for 2 years. It is expensive to the point that it is making them rethink staying in the home (they are retired).

Same thing happened to me.

I live on a ridge and can see two mountain ranges from my deck. The subdivision has 32 homes.

Somehow, someway, they decided that 1/4th of one house in the entire division is magically in a flood zone.

It's a serious ding - the flood coverage is manually underwritten and is horrifically expensive. You're also completely on your own - the process of trying to amend the map is very expensive and there is nothing but resistance at every turn.

Reaction Score
I live in Wilmington NC. I measured 18" of rain on my backyard rain gauge.

Reaction Score
I live in Wilmington NC. I measured 18" of rain on my backyard rain gauge.

How is Wilmington? I casually heard there was some damage, but never really saw how bad anything was or the severity. Is Wrightsville and downtown OK?

I lived there back in 2010 when we had a pretty crazy rainfall (22.54" over 5 days). I don't remember a ton of damage, mostly just some back roads/neighborhoods having flooded roads. Then again, I was in college and thinking more about hurrikegs when class was cancelled. Hope everything is okay your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom