OT: South Carolina Floods | The Boneyard

OT: South Carolina Floods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any South Carolinian's on the Yard?

Its my understanding parts are basically underwater and deaths reported.

I live in a coastal CT town and would be devastated if this happened here as I'm in a flood zone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A few of my good friends live in the Myrtle Beach area..they just told me it is still raining pretty heavy..expected 9" of rain today.

Reaction Score
Coastal Ct also, had to evacuate during Sandy. Took our dog with us. Town let people bring their dog to shelter at the high school provided they were crated. Our dog has separation anxiety and would have kept everyone up.

I was very happy to see the storm go out to sea. Must call friends in So. Carolina.

Reaction Score
Headed down there at the end of the month for a half marathon and some vacation. Hopefully it dries out and hopefully every can get back to normalcy soon. Hopefully not too much damage to some these old, beautiful houses.

Reaction Score
Headed down there at the end of the month for a half marathon and some vacation. Hopefully it dries out and hopefully every can get back to normalcy soon. Hopefully not too much damage to some these old, beautiful houses.
They are talking about it being a 1000 yr storm event, whatever that means. It sounds dreadful that's for sure.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They are talking about it being a 1000 yr storm event, whatever that means. It sounds dreadful that's for sure.
They dig up remains of the Native Americans that lived in the area. They couldn't find any arks the size of Noah's so they deemed this current event is bigger than any event since humanity lived here. Besides 1000 yrs sounds better than 100 years which is what they said yesterday. Tomorrow they may list this event as a one in 10,ooo yr event.

Reaction Score
So. Carolina friend in western part is ok.her daughter is on SC coast, watching her drive way become a little lake' but so far ok.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

It's means there is a 0.1 % chance of a rain event of that magnitude occurring. This does not mean they occur once a millennium, they can occur on consecutive days. The first thing anyone should so when buying a home is to check your FEMA flood map.

In practice, it means stuff flooded that they never predicted would flood, i.e., a few people will get screwed by not having insurance which mostly is only purchased by people in the 1% zone or in the coastal flood zone.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's means there is a 0.1 % chance of a rain event of that magnitude occurring. This does not mean they occur once a millennium, they can occur on consecutive days. The first thing anyone should so when buying a home is to check your FEMA flood map.

Yes they should. Because if you live in a FEMA designated flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory. It will be rolled in to your note.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yes they should. Because if you live in a FEMA designated flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory. It will be rolled in to your note.
Only the 100 year SFHA is mandated insurance. The 500 year is not required insurance.

Reaction Score
They dig up remains of the Native Americans that lived in the area. They couldn't find any arks the size of Noah's so they deemed this current event is bigger than any event since humanity lived here. Besides 1000 yrs sounds better than 100 years which is what they said yesterday. Tomorrow they may list this event as a one in 10,ooo yr event.

Still sounds suspect but don't tell me tell the network: linky

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I was just texting with a friend in West Ashley, a burb of Charleston and he told me they have had 23.5 inches in the last 3 days. Crazy. We could use some of that here in Tahoe.

Reaction Score
I was just texting with a friend in West Ashley, a burb of Charleston and he told me they have had 23.5 inches in the last 3 days. Crazy. We could use some of that here in Tahoe.
That's insane. That's about 50% of the rain we get up here in an average year.

Reaction Score
Is this strictly from the Hurricane or is it in conjunction with that slow moving cold front? 23 inches of rain in that short of a period is inconceivable and scary as hell. We flood in our area if we get hit by 5" over a week or less.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Only the 100 year SFHA is mandated insurance. The 500 year is not required insurance.

Yep. Good news is that voluntary flood insurance is usually very cheap. Mando flood insurance? Not so deep. I wouldn't ever buy in FEMA flood zone.

Reaction Score
Been to Charlestown several times and have enjoyed my visits as its a great city. Thoughts and prayers to everyone going through this as I have been through some bad flooding in Jersey (Irene) and know a lot of people who got hit hard by Sandy in NJ and NY. Its terrible.

Reaction Score
This video doesn't even seem to fully capture some of the worst flooding. If any of you have snapchat, look at the News: Flash Floods stories that people post. It's crazy. Hoping for the best. So far 9 dead, 100 still trapped according to a weather.com article. Very scary.

Here is a glimpse (not great quality, filmed off of a phone) of some areas in the South East, not necessarily Charleston, that got hit very hard by this on snapchat:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This is a horrible situation for those who lost love ones, their homes and their cars. Prayers go out to all of them.

Last week South Carolina had the largest % of drought on the east coast. Last month, after several years of debating, a concerted effort was made by the state legislature to approve monies to start fixing roads and bridges. Even after this effort the numbers were woefully inadequate. And several times over the past several years the state has refused federal funding for various programs because of it's rebellious nature towards the federal government.

Now in a swing of four days, after epic rains, the state ends it's draught, seeks federal help, and will place funding of road repairs in the areas that had already received the lions share of funding prior to this event.

It will be interesting to see how Governor Haley handles this emergency. She has been receiving a lot of national interest by the Republican Party. She did a great job handling the Charleston shooting and getting the legislature to remove the confederate battle flag from the state capitol grounds but the crisis the state is facing after this flooding inundates that crisis.

Edit: I forgot to mention that after more than two decades of the state ignoring the mandate to provide adequate education throughout the state, the South Carolina Supreme Court mandated a fix one month ago and after what appeared to be further stalling by the legislature, set a date last week that the plan must be in place next February. This state was one of the harder hit states from the past economic down turn. It just gave big public concessions to Boeing, Amazon and Volvo. Monies will be directed to Charleston and Jasper county for the ports. The health portion of the Department of Health and Environmental control has had a lot of criticism in the way it has handled abuse cases in the recent past. Not a good position for any governor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

just you wait, El nino is coming, downtown reno will wash away this winter.

Reaction Score

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm concerned about this El Nino. It could have devastating consequences somewhere on the west coast. It's setting up to be the second strongest on record but the meteorologists have a new factor in the equation that they never had to deal before so they aren't able to predict with the same degree of certainty as in the past.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Is this strictly from the Hurricane or is it in conjunction with that slow moving cold front? 23 inches of rain in that short of a period is inconceivable and scary as hell. We flood in our area if we get hit by 5" over a week or less.
Really strong upper level low that was stalled over Georgia combined with the stalled front on the east coast that was pulling up moisture from the Gulf of Mexico. The hurricane pushed in some moisture from the Atlantic but fortunately it tracked further east from last Thursdays' forecast. It could have pumped in another five to ten inches if it tracked to New England. More if it tracked to Virginia as was the original forecast.

Reaction Score
In the Palmetto State, anyone who watched the ND at Clemson game witnessed the torrents of rain impacting SC. Columbia and Midstate areas experienced the heaviest initial rain falls and initial worst flooding (Edit: later exceeded significantly in the Low Country). While Charleston is basically at sea level and oft experiences some flooding, nothing similar to the weekend's rainfall and more waters will continue flowing down to and further flooding Charleston and much of the Low Country. 27 inches: imagine if it was winter, and extremely unusually cold.

Following several days of post-drought rains from the Carolinas through Georgia, the front from the Gulf of Mexico seemingly stalled over SC. Perhaps the offshore hurricane pushed back or held the low front in position over the Palmetto State. While the Charlotte area had a ship load of rain over several days, bizzarely not nearly as much as Columbia just 90 miles south.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger