OT: Sandy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good luck, guys. It looks pretty nasty over there.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I feel like Ollie might be funnier in German. Love that scene though.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I hope everyone has pulled through, looks like the NYC storm surge was brutal! Will be interesting to compare to the Katrina surge and the cleanup response/aftermath.

After last years 14 days without power from 2 storms, I have to say not losing power for Sandy was a blessing... it kept blinking, I was all set for it to drop out.

Reaction Score
Lost power here as of 5:30 pm yesterday. Still mo power. Not use to this.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I am fine with the state using Rentschler Field as a relief hub. Anything to prevent them from playing football there.

Reaction Score
The worst part of the storm will be when we lose power for days, and our generator kicks in so we can easily deal with it, having to listen to my wife telling me, her family and her friends how smart she was for buying the generator over my objections.

Frankly, I'd rather be living on a cave on the beach.

So, it's happening just as I feared. To paraphrase Waylon: must #drinkharder

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Some dopey, moistened bint from WVIT was on location at a beach front in East Haven, and unfurled this whomper , "Just a few minutes ago there where three pieces of police tape blocking the entrance to the beach, as you can see now, there are only two pieces of police tape, evidence that the storm is indeed strenghtening"
My favorite was the reporter was watching seafoam coming off the ocean. as he turned it to describe it a big hunk flew up and hit him in his open mouth. He said "Oh god it tastes terrible... I have to go off camera" and staggered away. Great stuff.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Last year I had power out for 3 days I think, and the condos / businesses on the other side of the street from me had their power come back on a day before my side. This year my power stayed on (just flickering) and the other side lost power. So we're even.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So it seems CL&P is doing a better job recruiting linesmen (from out of state). At least in this case, unlike football, we don't have to wait 3 years to see the results!

Reaction Score
From Ohio I send the same wishes. My parents and grandma are in Torrington.
Torrington didn't fare as badly as in the past. Seems like most of the big problems were coastal. We (mid eastside) lost power for about 12 hours (and a few other spots before the big one). My sister-in-law downtown never lost their power. The street below me had power too. I think they get it from rt 202, and we get it from rt 4.

Reaction Score
So it seems CL&P is doing a better job recruiting linesmen (from out of state). At least in this case, unlike football, we don't have to wait 3 years to see the results!

But to draw comparisons... It all comes down to the willingness to spend money before a disaster hits and then the ability to pass those incurred costs along to others to recover them...

Reaction Score
Too bad we didn't use some of that stimulus cash that we borrowed to bury some power lines.

Reaction Score
Too bad there wasn't more stimulus money to do something like that. But there wasn't. We are given free financing, but unwilling to use it, pointless.

Reaction Score
Too bad there wasn't more stimulus money to do something like that. But there wasn't. We are given free financing, but unwilling to use it, pointless.

More? Ok.

I'm sure we didn't piss some of that money on useless initiatives.

Reaction Score
Being 33 years old now and living in CT for basically 29 or so of those years I can only recall 2 times being without power for more than a day and those were both last year. That is the mindset that kept me from buying a generator and it'll likely still keep me from buying one.. I mean cmon it can't keep doing this every halloween can it? Sitting on a 400 ish dollar Generator that will do absolutely nothing unless you have a multi-day outage doesnt seem like the smartest use of money in this horrendous economy.

That being said, I "had" a nice saltwater reef tank before last years storms completely decimated it, most notably the halloween one that had the temps drop in the water into the low 50's. A generator sure wouldve been nice in that case, though one of my neighbors has one and I swear the damn thing sounds like someone has been mowing their lawn constantly. I wanted to punch them.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Quick check in while i have a bit of phone chrage thanks to a subway lol. Hows everyone hanging. Anyone need some help anywhere? The BY is a wide and kind crew so if i or anyone can help Ppl in need please post up. Its ugly in parts of norwalk... Hoping for power back by next week fingers crossed!

Reaction Score
We're back online here in Bethel. Don't know why but I'm thankful for it. Our guys were out all night in Norwalk Monday with some serious flying around. I took some big risks getting in early yesterday but nothing compared to theirs. Unfortunately we lost one in Easton and I'll try to be there in the coming days. Hope all you guys are Ok. Anybody near me need anything?

Reaction Score
We're back online here in Bethel. Don't know why but I'm thankful for it. Our guys were out all night in Norwalk Monday with some serious flying around. I took some big risks getting in early yesterday but nothing compared to theirs. Unfortunately we lost one in Easton and I'll try to be there in the coming days. Hope all you guys are Ok. Anybody near me need anything?

Bethel eh? I am from Bethel, small world, er state. I live in Seymour now and it looks like our power came back on at 3pm ish today. Looks like CL&P had their crap together this time around.

Reaction Score
Bethel eh? I am from Bethel, small world, er state. I live in Seymour now and it looks like our power came back on at 3pm ish today. Looks like CL&P had their crap together this time around.

Glad you're back. Moved here in '94 from Norwalk where we still work. If they've got it together tomorrow will be the start. Looks like you guys are down to 27 and Monroe is finally off 100. We're still close to 60%. No clout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom