OT: San Diego, Chicago, Seattle, Denver | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: San Diego, Chicago, Seattle, Denver

Reaction Score
Lower your standards. That worked for me. I'm now way beyond the average thanks to ugly women. ;)
Or move to Latin America. Gringos are guaranteed to get laid.

Reaction Score
Haven't lived in any of the cities, but travel a ton for work and have spent extended time in all you mention. One piece of advice I would give you is when you visit the cities in question....visit like a local not a tourist. When I moved to LA, i visited like a tourist and I ended up back on the east coast....so don't just go out and do the fun things and party, then sleep until 10. Find the area where you think you might want to live and see what the morning commute is like, explore local neighborhoods, etc.

One place that is close to Denver that you might want to consider is Boulder. I lived in Breckenridge for a bit and though Denver has changed some and is building a more resident base, it is still a city that people come to for work or a game, then leave. Boulder is not far from Denver and is a college town, but also has a vibrant business community. A good buddy from NY moved to Denver...he's now back in NY because wifey didn't like Denver. He said that had they been in Boulder, they probably would have stayed.

Since your plan is a short term one, SD seems like it gives you the most fun at the present time. A lot of people I know from Socal leave when they have kids.

Seattle seems to be evolving into a more resident city every time i go there, but others have covered that better than I could

Chi is my second fav city in the country....but you are stuck in Chi...anyplace worth visiting is really a plane flight away...unless you want to drive to Madison or Milwaukee.

Good luck and enjoy the opportunity. Do this stuff now while you can with only yourself to be responsible for. Even though I didn't stay in LA, it was great that i went so i know i don't want to be there

Reaction Score
I moved to San Diego from CT about 5 years ago for work and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Granted I was 28/29 at the time so the cost of living wasn't as much of a factor as if I were just out of college.

I've tried living in most of the neighborhoods: La Jolla, PB, North Park, OB but not downtown. And the wife (also from CT) and I settled on North PB for the beach and cooler weather in the summer but away from the main gery. If you're east of the I-5 freeway it does get hot in the summer. Otherwise in any of the beach neighborhoods you don't ever need heat or AC. If anyone ever tells you the weather isn't that great, punch them in the face. It's between 65 and 80 year round with no humidity.

If you're looking for a true urban jungle downtown San Diego probably isn't the spot, it's just not that big. It has a great bar scene Thurs - Sat though. If you're looking to party 5 days a week and live next to the ocean, PB is the place to be.

Where ever it is you're going to need a car, public transportation really isn't an option for daily commuting. There's a trolley but it's doesn't really go anywhere but downtown and around Qualcomm stadium (5-10 miles inland). And the bus is the bus. Traffic really isn't really that bad, definitely not Los Angeles or I-95 in CT even. I'd relate it to Htfd traffic, if you are able to adjust around peak rush hour its fine.

If you play sports, VAVI sports is a great way to meet people. It's basically any intramural sport all year round.

Sounds like you're already into beer so San Diego is perfect. Stone, Ballaste Point, Green Flash and tons of others, especially if you're into IPAs. Breweries actually get sweet tax breaks now so more and more are popping up everywhere.

Reaction Score
4 solid cities. To the people who keep saying Tampa, stop, just stop.

I love Chicago, and would live there (I currently also live in Boston), but it is very different from the other 3.

The other 3 provide and are very centered around the outdoor experience, whether it be the beach in SD, or hiking, skiing, biking, ect. in Denver and Seattle.

I enjoy Seattle the least of the 3, but my brother and good friend live/lived there, and they both love it.

If you are looking for a city city then its Chicago and its not close.

But if you want something where you do not have to live in an apartment in the concrete jungle then I would go Denver or SD, just decide what you want, beach, hot girls everywhere, golf or skiing, great bud, more relaxed and absolutely beautiful scenery.

I do not know your profession so I will not comment on the expense or job markets of the cities.

Reaction Score
Took my family for the first time to San Diego in late 80's when my son (UConn grad) was in HS. He moved there in 2006 with his Latino wife and loves it. We've been back there a dozen times [business/pleasure] and it is wonderful in most every way. I've been to a lot of places and it's at the top in US.

Reaction Score
If you are looking for a city city then its Chicago and its not close.

But if you want something where you do not have to live in an apartment in the concrete jungle then I would go Denver or SD, just decide what you want, beach, hot girls everywhere, golf or skiing, great bud, more relaxed and absolutely beautiful scenery.
Thanks for sounding off on Chicago, man. I actually do enjoy the bold; I live in basically downtown Boston now and love the urban surroundings, being able to walk to just about anything I want or right to public transportation if I need it to get out to Cambridge or Allston. This is why I'm looking at living downtown in the other 3 cities, but it sounds like you really want to be directly on the coast in San Diego. Not that that would be a problem lol considering the reports of who my neighbors will be. Also like I said I'm obviously open to a change in scenery; The main pulls of Chicago is the city-cityness, relative proximity to the Northeast, and the nightlife.

Reaction Score
Also for a city city area SFO is top notch. Easily the priciest of any of the 4, but a great great place. Has everything and Tahoe only 4 hours away.

I agree, I would do SD for all around, I like beach and warm more than mountains. But if you want to live in a great world class city there are really 5-6 in USA. NYC, DC, Bos, Chicago or SFO. Maybe Philly could be included.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Gringo said:
Or move to Latin America. Gringos are guaranteed to get laid.

Post/handle

Reaction Score
Four places I'm seriously considering (in roughly that order) for my next city once I'm done with Boston, which won't be longer than ~21 months if I have anything to say about it. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here, but at this point pretty much the only things tempting me to stay longer are proximity to college friends, Harpoon, and the sheer volume of college-age girls. Boston is also an amazing city for working in the medical field. However I don't feel like there's much left here for me to experience besides the revolving door of college chicks, the weather is , housing is absolutely ridiculous, and the night life generally blows, even when compared to Seattle and Denver, which have roughly the same population.

Anyone have any decent experience with any of these cities? I'm obviously going to check each out at least a good week before I judge for myself but if any of y'all got any info to help, that would be great. If it helps whatever advice/info you may give, I will just be turning 26 if I move when I plan to; will be working in the medical field; looking to move in to a place in the city's downtown area; looking for good nightlife.

Things I've gathered so far:

San Diego: Top 3 cities for weather, beach, active/attractive inhabitants, lots to do around town, lots of beautiful Mexican girls (can't lie I have a thing for latinas), fairly good nightlife
Chicago: awful winters (but I will have been through 8 or 9 New England/Boston winters so how much worse could it be), Top 5 nightlife, sheer volume of people means there are plenty of cool people/pretty girls to meet, good place to work in the medical field
Seattle: beautiful weather (anything else you've heard is a myth), active, clean city, relatively intelligent inhabitants, decent nightlife
Denver: active, clean city, decent nightlife, obviously the best skiing in the country

Oh also those last two: pot is legal

I've been in Chicago for about 7 years. Its a fantastic city... great culture in terms of music, restaurants, sports, theater etc. As another poster mentioned, the majority of the neighborhoods in the city have a very distinct and unique identity, so you'll be able to find a place that suits your personality. Its more affordable than the majority of east coast cities. Suburbs are generally nice too... most have their own downtowns with good restaurants/bars etc. School systems are good and lots of good colleges around.
Having moved here from CT, I can tell you that the winters here are significantly worse than what we get at home. Wind chill gets below zero fairly often in Jan-Feb, and since you'll be living in the city you will spend a fair amount of time walking or taking public transit, so you'll have to deal with it full on. The summers are outstanding though...one of the best summer cities I've ever lived in or visited.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
If you are single: Tampa, San Diego, Chicago, Denver

If you are planning 5 settle down: Tampa, San Diego, Denver, Chicago.

Seattle is a great place to visit...not sure about staying for more than 3 months.

Tampa is good if you're Derek Jeter.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Charleston S.C.
Fort Collins, CO.
San Francisco, CA.
Santa Fe. N.M.

Try these.

Reaction Score
Charleston S.C.
Fort Collins, CO.
San Francisco, CA.
Santa Fe. N.M.

Try these.
Gonna need some actual rationales as to why I'd ever want to move to New Mexico, or a town the size of Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sounding off on Chicago, man. I actually do enjoy the bold; I live in basically downtown Boston now and love the urban surroundings, being able to walk to just about anything I want or right to public transportation if I need it to get out to Cambridge or Allston. This is why I'm looking at living downtown in the other 3 cities, but it sounds like you really want to be directly on the coast in San Diego. Not that that would be a problem lol considering the reports of who my neighbors will be. Also like I said I'm obviously open to a change in scenery; The main pulls of Chicago is the city-cityness, relative proximity to the Northeast, and the nightlife.
Then you would love Chicago, by far the best actual city on the list.

A lot cheaper then Boston.

Great food, bars, sports, and people.

Reaction Score
Chicago sounds like the place you want to be. Boston is urban and most definitely a city but it kind of feels like a rinky dink town compared to Chicago. You could easily make a case Chicago is the best bar and food city in the country and it offers everything culturally you could imagine, again the big draw back is the rough winters. I wouldn't exactly call Chicago cheap but it is obviously a lot cheaper than NYC and significantly cheaper than Boston. Another thing you will realize right away out here is for the most part drinking out at bars is significantly cheaper than the East Coast. Also I can vouch for the post above, for the most part the people are more down to earth and less douchey.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Gonna need some actual rationales as to why I'd ever want to move to New Mexico, or a town the size of Syracuse.
You could fall in love with the desert beauty and find peace.

Reaction Score
If you're looking at San Diego, and you like collegeish aged women, I'd suggest Ocean Beach or Mission Beach. The talent is spectacular and the bar scene is fantastic. I'm 46 and I'd consider moving down and splitting the rent.
Spent a few years in OB, another in Pacific Beach (older, more sedate), and Loma Portal (between OB and Sports Arena area). Loved all, but traffic was bad then (35 years ago).

Reaction Score
If you're not liking the weather, things being expensive, and the size of housing in Boston, I'm not sure how Chicago is going to work better. Plus Sam Adams/Harpoon knocks the crap out of Goose Island all day every day.

Reaction Score
If you're not liking the weather, things being expensive, and the size of housing in Boston, I'm not sure how Chicago is going to work better. Plus Sam Adams/Harpoon knocks the crap out of Goose Island all day every day.
I've lived in both places and the passion for the sports teams is about the only comparable thing, Chicago and Boston are pretty much nothing alike. The surroundings outside of Boston are superior because New England offers a lot, not too much outside of Chicago but as far as just the city, Chicago is superior in pretty much every way imaginable.

Reaction Score
Chicago is great, you could rotate between Portillo's, Lou Malnati's and Al's Big Beef daily, and spend the other wakeing hours at the gym

Lollapoolaza every summer, Grant park awesome in summer and bop up to Summerfest in Milwaukee

Reaction Score
Chicago is great, you could rotate between Portillo's, Lou Malnati's and Al's Big Beef daily, and spend the other wakeing hours at the gym

Lollapoolaza every summer, Grant park awesome in summer and bop up to Summerfest in Milwaukee
Chicago pizza is overrated but Malnati's and Pequod's are definitely tasty.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not to turn this in to a pizza thread but.....I'll never understand the love affair w Lou Malnatis. I'm a Giardanos guy.

Reaction Score
Not to turn this in to a pizza thread but.....I'll never understand the love affair w Lou Malnatis. I'm a Giardanos guy.
Really I haven't really like Giordano's the few times I've had it. I don't normally like deep dish but I've enjoyed Malnati's whenever I've had it because of the sauce.

Reaction Score

Pequod's is definitely where its at for deep dish!! Its just not as well known. I brought a few visitors there last month, they had never heard of it but after we ate they said they would never go back to Lou's again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom