OT: Pats-Colts | Page 13 | The Boneyard

OT: Pats-Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Huge failure from Belichick and especially Brady today. Mark Brunell was so angry with Brady's press conference that he was almost crying. Brian Dawkins and Bettis also called out the absurdity of the charade. Nobody believes there was some magical fairy deflating Patriots game balls at Foxborough. They can deny all they want and hope the NFL can't come down on them but anyone who watched Brady's presser knows he was lying.

I know why you like Brunell. He twists words just like you do.

After Brady painstakingly explained that he is very particular with the balls and is painstaking in their selection, h actually said he does squeeze them to see how inflated they are, and he prefers 12.5.

He said everything that Brunell claimed he didn't say.

And, furthermore, the time he said he can't tell the difference and that he isn't worrying about PSI is during the game. When he handles the ball for and average of 1 second each play.

This is what the greatest thrower in NFL history had to say about that: "Dan Marino made a great point -- that the last thing you're thinking about as a quarterback when you get to the line of scrimmage is, 'I wonder if this football is to 2 psi lighter?'" Theismann said.

You twist words. Brunell twists words. No wonder you like him.

Brunell, Bettis, Dawkins: hmmmmm, what do they have in common: losing big games to the Patriots.

Reaction Score
You really needed a comma here. You wanted this:

He was, you moron,

Instead, you went with:

He was you moron.

Which is hilariously poor grammar, because it suggests that BigErn and Brunnel were one and the same.

What you did is much like this sign:

moran.jpg
You got me.......I completely disagree with your assessment of Brady's presser. His answers were just ridiculous, if you listened to it without knowing he was an NFL qb you would think it's the first time he ever picked up a football.

Reaction Score

After Brady painstakingly explained that he is very particular with the balls and is painstaking in their selection, h actually said he does squeeze them to see how inflated they are, and he prefers 12.5.

And, furthermore, the time he said he can't tell the difference and that he isn't worrying about PSI is during the game. When he handles the ball for and average of 1 second each play.

This is what the greatest thrower in NFL history had to say about that: "Dan Marino made a great point -- that the last thing you're thinking about as a quarterback when you get to the line of scrimmage is, 'I wonder if this football is to 2 psi lighter?'" Theismann said.

Brunell, Bettis, Dawkins: hmmmmm, what do they have in common: losing big games to the Patriots.
What words did I twist? Again you are attributing things to me that I never said, all I did was point out that Brunell was so angry with Brady's presser that he was almost crying. You really need to stop doing this, upstater.

Reaction Score
I think someone might have tried to sabotage Brady by deflating the balls. He likes them at 12.5 psi. Everyone seems to think because Brunell said you get a better grip at a lower psi, however it that is true why did he say he wanted all his balls at 13 psi when he was playing. Brunell and that panel had an agenda.

Even before the Brady press conf. they said he had to apologize and admit that he had them at a lower psi. They had no facts to back that up. All Pats haters!

Reaction Score

Yeah I'm sure Brunell is allowing the 1996 AFC Championship game to skew his opinion on this matter.

Reaction Score
. . . . if you listened to it without knowing he was an NFL qb you would think it's the first time he ever picked up a football.
You're assuming you know way more about NFL QBs than you do, unless you're some sort of upper level analyst.
You have no idea what a QB is thinking at any given moment.

You're way too vested in your position. If you won't even consider the opposite argument, you can never accurately assess the facts. You have what is known in the legal arts as, "advocate's bias."

Reaction Score
You're assuming you know way more about NFL QBs than you do, unless you're some sort of upper level analyst.
You have no idea what a QB is thinking at any given moment.

You're way too vested in your position. If you won't even consider the opposite argument, you can never accurately assess the facts. You have what is known in the legal arts as, "advocate's bias."
What is the opposite argument? 11 out of 12 footballs the Patriots had were underinflated and the head coach and QB have no clue how it happened, that just doesn't seem at all believable to me. What is the other argument, the balls weren't underinflated and the NFL is making it up? The ballboy deflated them on his own? I'm not trying to be a jerk, help me to understand?

Reaction Score
What is the opposite argument? I'm not trying to be a jerk, help me to understand?
I recognize you're not trying to be a jerk, but you're also not trying to understand what the opposite argument is.

Here's one hypothetical:

Somebody in the Pats organization - the owner, the owner's son, the OC's assistant, the equipment manager, knows that Brady likes the ball a little soft on wet days. That person has access to the balls and/or to the person who does have access to the balls. He then spends 5 minutes deflating the balls to 11 psi at some point in the, apparently, 2 hours the balls are available prior to game time.

This could happen without anybody knowing.

You are assuming that Brady would instantly know the difference between a 12.5 to 13.5 psi ball and an 11 psi ball. That's a huge assumption, and you have absolutely no way to support it.

The point is, there are many people who had the motivation to drop the PSI on the balls, and many people who would have had access to those balls.

Your entire "Brady had to know" argument rests on the thin assumption that Brady would have been able to tell the difference in the ball pressure.

How do you prove that?

Reaction Score
I recognize you're not trying to be a jerk, but you're also not trying to understand what the opposite argument is.

The opposite argument is a rogue Patriots employee altered the pressure in the game balls without the knowledge of the head coach and QB. That's fantasy land.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The opposite argument is a rogue Patriots employee altered the pressure in the game balls without the knowledge of the head coach and QB. That's fantasy land.
1. Faulty gauge
2. NFL was too quick in exoneration the refs. They didn't test the ball as closely as they said.
3. NFL is "out to get" the Patriots (see Mike Florio on WEEI this morning.)

There's a lot of reasonable doubt.

Reaction Score

They're all b)itches. Just like the Colts. Whining, crying, losing b)itches.

Reaction Score
Or the balls were under inflated from the start.

A Rogers said he would overinflated - with the hopes they wouldn't catch it. Likewise Brady's balls (get it?) might have been under inflated & they missed it (maybe the 1 properly inflated ball was to trick them from checking the rest?

The NFL is a 6 Billion dollar a year (not for profit) organization. They should have processes which include careful recording of each balls PSI etc... I think this is more likely - but there's no way the NFL would admit to such incompetence.

There should be documentation & processes which would create a trail - I'll be very interested to hear what proof they have that the balls were properly reviewed - not just initialed with a sharpie.

Reaction Score
Or the balls were under inflated from the start.

A Rogers said he would overinflated - with the hopes they wouldn't catch it. Likewise Brady's balls (get it?) might have been under inflated & they missed it (maybe the 1 properly inflated ball was to trick them from checking the rest?

The NFL is a 6 Billion dollar a year (not for profit) organization. They should have processes which include careful recording of each balls PSI etc... I think this is more likely - but there's no way the NFL would admit to such incompetence.

There should be documentation & processes which would create a trail - I'll be very interested to hear what proof they have that the balls were properly reviewed - not just initialed with a sharpie.

There actually a story in the Chicago Tribune by an ex ballboy in which he said the refs always did a squeeze test when he delivered the balls to them, and they rarely used a gauge. Occasionally, they would only use it on a ball if they felt it was too low, and they'd sometimes even just reject the ball outright.

Reaction Score
it was the K balls that the Ravens had warned the Colts about?

https://twitter.com/MattOverton_LS/status/557934184212475904

K Balls never come into possession of either team. only refs hold those balls. AND, to top it off, it was 10 degrees out that night.

The weird thing, if this is true that the NFL set this up after being tipped off by the Colts and the Ravens, the NFL didn't even keep an eye on the balls? Peter King said the balls were given to the sideline guys 2 minutes before kickoff. You're telling me the NFL lost track of the balls after that point? When they knew there could possibly be a huge s---storm coming a week before the Super Bowl?

No one finds that hard to believe? They could have caught the Patriots redhanded by just keeping an eye on the balls.

Reaction Score
Bring up other players who cheated supposedly, call out envy, Colts and Ravens tipped them off.

Only Pats fans can't admit the obvious - this thread is pure fn comedy!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm with deadspin, John.

Do me a favor: If you watch this video and find yourself genuinely touched by Brunell's thoughts, please throw away every electronic device you have and move to the most remote part of whatever country you live in.

http://deadspin.com/mark-brunell-almost-cries-over-deflated-balls-1681235859

Grow up. You sound like an eight year old girl.

D'well Jackson could tell the difference, but Brady couldn't: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000462315/article/dqwell-jackson-footballs-didnt-change-outcome

Reaction Score
Bring up other players who cheated supposedly, call out envy, Colts and Ravens tipped them off.

Only Pats fans can't admit the obvious - this thread is pure fn comedy!

I can care less the Colts and Ravens tipped them off. The point is the NFL was aware, and somehow they didn't even bother to watch whether someone was tampering with the balls on sideline while the game was going on.

You actually believe that?

Reaction Score
I can care less the Colts and Ravens tipped them off. The point is the NFL was aware, and somehow they didn't even bother to watch whether someone was tampering with the balls on sideline while the game was going on.

Who gives a * about what I believe, the whacky thing is you actually believe Billy B and Tommy really don't know anything. That's hilarious!

Reaction Score
I'm with deadspin, John.

Do me a favor: If you watch this video and find yourself genuinely touched by Brunell's thoughts, please throw away every electronic device you have and move to the most remote part of whatever country you live in.

http://deadspin.com/mark-brunell-almost-cries-over-deflated-balls-1681235859

Grow up. You sound like an eight year old girl.
Touched by what Brunell said, wtf are you talking about? Yesterday I was an eight year old, now I'm an eight year old girl?!?? I get it you don't think the Patriots did anything wrong but please stop stalking me, you're suspect.

Reaction Score

So let me get this straight, you think the NFL deflated the balls, then blamed it on the Patriots?

Reaction Score
Who gives a * about what I believe, the whacky thing is you actually believe Billy B and Tommy really don't know anything. That's hilarious!

If you don't care then why in the world would you respond in a way that completely misinterprets what I wrote? I think it's hilarious that you're commenting and you can't even understand the basics.

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight, you think the NFL deflated the balls, then blamed it on the Patriots?

What?

How did you come to that conclusion?

If the NFL didn't watch the balls (even though they were looking for it) the Patriots might have deflated them. Bizarre that they wouldn't watch the balls for an hour in that situation.

Or, the refs squeezed the balls when they checked before the game, which happens a lot, as Aaron Rodgers and some ballboys have said.

Or, Mort's report about 2 PSI below is off (2 PSI below what?) and the bals naturally lost air pressure in the 30 degree difference between room temperature and outdoors. Sports Science also said the rain would have an impact but I didn't really listen to what that was. but I do remember they said a ball with 2 PSI less air pressure at that level weighs MORE than a ball without, AND the water would have added 10x as much weight as anything else.

There may be more possibilities, haven't thought of it. But I can think of 3: either the balls were tampered with, or the refs did a squeeze check, or Mort's #s are wrong and the balls fell by a marginal amount.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc