OT: Oh God! WCCC as you know it dies today... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Oh God! WCCC as you know it dies today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For years I commuted to Bloomfield and was very happy listening to WEEI and Imus before he left WFAN. I had no need for satellite radio. Now I commute to Waterbury and WEEI doesn't come in and I don't enjoy Imus any more so I'm thinking about it. But for the most part I see no need to pay for radio when I like the stations I listed and they're free. Losing another one of my choices does push me in that technological direction a little more.
Felt the exact same way with Imus on WFAN for my morning drive and either Mike & the Mad Dog or WEHM, WFUV and a few other music options if the 25,000 songs on my iPod weren't enough for me. Imus leaving WFAN made me a lot less interested in radio, and even though I didn't particularly like either Francessa or Russo, the show was usually a good listen imo, so when Dog left and the rest of the lineup changed I stopped listening altogether.

I love being able to choose from among the tens of thousands of songs on my iPod, and I also love putting it on random and being surprised. But imo there is no contest with a good human filter choosing the music, and occasionally talking about it--or simply the events of the day. When I realized that Sirius had so many options for this, I was blown away. Adding an internet subscription for an additional $4.99 a month is one of the best investments I have ever made, as I can listen to it at work and at home, through my AVR via the Sirius app.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Still, this wasn't as big of a shock as when WHCN - the original underground, album rock FM station in Hartford - started syndicating John Tesh.

Reaction Score
For years I commuted to Bloomfield and was very happy listening to WEEI and Imus before he left WFAN. I had no need for satellite radio. Now I commute to Waterbury and WEEI doesn't come in and I don't enjoy Imus any more so I'm thinking about it. But for the most part I see no need to pay for radio when I like the stations I listed and they're free. Losing another one of my choices does push me in that technological direction a little more.

I felt that way too until about seven years ago when my buddy picked me up for the 2+ hour ride to the Rent and we could listen to any of about 15 college football games. On the way home we were listening to various comedy stations, nearly driving off of the road in laughter. The next week UConn had a noon game and we flipped around to various genre specific stations and on the way to a 4:00 Pats game the next week, we listened to about six different NFL games and continued while tailgating. I was hooked. My wife bought it for me for my birthday and I can't stand driving in a car without it now. Commercial free music, tv news stations simulcasting, specialty stations, band-specific stations, sport specific stations, NFL, CFB, CBB, etc when I want it. I'll occasionally listen to terrestrial radio but not like I used to. Plus, when I have to make a long ride, I don't have to worry about a station fading out on me.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sirius saved us last summer while driving around the San Juan Mountains in CO.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
What has me thinking about it is the upcoming trip to Charleston after Christmas. It would be nice to not have to search around while driving. I just need to do a little research on how it all works.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was a Walrus and Wacky 102 kid. Also had to get my KC101 Casey Kasem fix every Sunday night.

Reaction Score
Is there a market in CT for Christian Rock? Radio 104 became hip hop for a while but it ended up going back to alternative, I guess we shall see.

Nevermind, I saw that the station was bought and it wasn't the current owner changing the format. Looks like it is changing for good unless it is sold again.

Reaction Score
Is there a market in CT for Christian Rock? Radio 104 became hip hop for a while but it ended up going back to alternative, I guess we shall see.

Nevermind, I saw that the station was bought and it wasn't the current owner changing the format. Looks like it is changing for good unless it is sold again.

This wasn't a typical sale, to a larger corporation or media conglomerate like clear channel or entercom. This group specializes in "adult contemporary christian rock". Between "K-Love" and "Air1" they don't have a lot of penetration into New England when compared to other areas of the country and almost no powerful stations.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Eh WCCC has sucked for years. Even before they started playing classic rock, they were playing terrible modern rock like Puddle of Mudd. No surprise.
While I don't usually go out of my way to listen to, say, Avenged Sevenfold, I liked the idea of having one radio station that would play Avenged Sevenfold. (Then Puddle of Mudd comes on and I change to 104.1).

Maybe they would have lasted a few more years if they hadn't turned into PLR II.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Best station in CT is 95.1 for good old rock and roll. Tough to get in at times in central CT but my top choice now for music, if I am not using pandora

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
wccc.jpg
As far as im concerned it was a sad day for radio in CT. CCC broke new bands in hard rock. I kept them on the dial when they went classic rock but rarely stopped to listen. I listened to all 5 hours of the "going away show" and honestly, it made me sad. All the big gigs, ozzfests, and hard rock shows I had been to wont be around any more and that's crap. I poured out some liquor Friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom