OT...Minnesota Indiana final... | The Boneyard

OT...Minnesota Indiana final...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Obviously a great match up. I do not get to see many WNBA games but had to make some time for this. Hard to believe that Muffies Flop 101 course gets to the next level. Maya had to sit with two fouls with time left in the first due to a shove with her arm. Did she make it obvious? Yes, but to see the player back pedal faster than most run forward was simply priceless.
Obviously foot work in every direction is the basis of all sports and makes any player with it down better than the next. Using it to draw a foul has to be an art form. Exaggerating to this degree should be a double foul like in football and off setting. ;)

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
This game is setting back the WNBA 10 years. What a sloppy crummy game. Not just the players horrible shooting but the refs too. Phantom calls are made while some massive contact is ignored. Not a good showcase for the game unfortunately. Glad it's looking good for MINN but not happy with the play.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hasn't been the most fun game to watch, but I am ecstatic with how things are going score-wise. Maya has had a poor game 5 but a great finals overall. Love Monty at the end of of the third quarter. Sylvia has been phenomenal!

Cannot wait for this game to be over and series clinched!

HGN

Reaction Score
Lynx pulling away in final quarter.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
OK, five minutes to go. Don't give Indy any hope here...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UConn has not lost consecutive games since March 1993. Maya Moore has not had back-to-back seasons without a championship since ... forever. 3-4 in high school; 2-4 at UConn; 3-5 in the W; 3-3 in China; 1-1 in Spain; 1-1 in Euroleague; 2-2 in WCs; 1-1 in the Olympics.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
UConn has not lost consecutive games since March 1993. Maya Moore has not had back-to-back seasons without a championship since ... forever. 3-4 in high school; 2-4 at UConn; 3-5 in the W; 3-3 in China; 1-1 in Spain; 1-1 in Euroleague; 2-2 in WCs; 1-1 in the Olympics.
That's amazing.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And the finals MVP goes to...

...Sylvia.

Maya deserved it, but Syl's performances in Games Two and Five make for a strong argument.

Reaction Score
I think that being Olympic team MVP is the only trophy she has not yet been handed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So Syl was sitting at home in July wondering if she would be playing this season. Three months later, she has a championship and Finals MVP trophy. Nice turnabout of fortunes.

Reaction Score
Yes the game 5 was a clinker but was it Fever terrible or MN defense finally got organized and got the job done?
Big Syl deserved the MOP, she finally put together 2 1/2's of great BB!
The refs as usual stunk the place up! When will WNBA SUITS wise-up and get refs that know something about BB! They are really worthless! It hurts the League!
It was a really rough season for MN with the injuries to Augustus, Whalen, & Brunson! You can tell the season took it's toll with Augustus, Reeve, and several others in tears at the end!
I think the key for the MN win besides Syl was Brunson finally stepped her game up to the level everyone is accustomed to, a double/double!
MN ? for 2016 is can they finally win back-to-back titles?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
MN ? for 2016 is can they finally win back-to-back titles?
Good question - it will be a strange year next year with the break for the olympics, and with most foreign players not showing up for the first half of the year so they can train with their national teams. MN has the advantage of being mostly USA - Anna Cruz is the only one likely to be missing for NT duty.

Reaction Score
Good question - it will be a strange year next year with the break for the olympics, and with most foreign players not showing up for the first half of the year so they can train with their national teams. MN has the advantage of being mostly USA - Anna Cruz is the only one likely to be missing for NT duty.
There is going to be such a concentration of talent in MN and Phoenix, especially with Bonner and Griner getting better and DT returning. This could turn into one great rivalries in sports.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There is going to be such a concentration of talent in MN and Phoenix, especially with Bonner and Griner getting better and DT returning. This could turn into one great rivalries in sports.
A classic heavyweight matchup like Frazier v. Ali.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And the finals MVP goes to...

...Sylvia.

Maya deserved it, but Syl's performances in Games Two and Five make for a strong argument.
So much for the "Sylvia shouldn't be on Team USA for the 2016 Olympics..."!! My point is, some people were pointing to her less than stellar statistics this season suggesting she should maybe be left off the US National Team. Not so fast!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great turnout in MN - 19K at the arena, the place was rocking, with the after party at Prince's mansion!
I am surprised that MN doesn't make more noise in WCBB - after Whalen left they dropped off the map pretty much. With that kind of fan support a dynamic coach out to be able to get something going there.

Overall good attendance 12K, 11K, 16K, 11K, 19K = 69K for 5 games.

Reaction Score
Great turnout in MN - 19K at the arena, the place was rocking, with the after party at Prince's mansion!
I am surprised that MN doesn't make more noise in WCBB - after Whalen left they dropped off the map pretty much. With that kind of fan support a dynamic coach out to be able to get something going there.

Overall good attendance 12K, 11K, 16K, 11K, 19K = 69K for 5 games.
19K attendance in the final game; even though you are rounding up, I think they said it was a record for Minnesota. Think of the lost revenues had Minnesota closed out the series in the fourth game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Richard Deitsch of SI did an interview with Geno after that game -- article not out yet -- and Deitsch tweeted this quote:

Richard DeitschVerified account‏@richarddeitsch
"I've never coached two better human beings than @seimoneaugustus and @Lindsay_13." - UConn WBB coach Geno Auriemma, today.

Deitsch said Geno had some great things to say about Maya which I'm sure we'll see in his written story.

Now, contrast that tweet and quote with the tweet below which was posted right after Maya made the shot to win Game 4. This tweet is from the person who writes about the LadyVols and I believe is writing a book about Pat Summitt's final season as head coach.

Maria M. Cornelius ‏@mmcornelius Oct 9
Love watching @IndianaFever, but the opponent is repulsive to me.

Repulsive. A team with Maya, Whalen, Siemone, Brunson, etc. is repulsive. #WatchMe #Don'tReadHer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom