ot:Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend and Inspirational Story is a hoax | The Boneyard

ot:Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend and Inspirational Story is a hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why are we picking on the all-american LB from ND that cant pick up any chicks on campus.

Reaction Score
It is going to be very hard to top this as the most absurd, ridiculous story of the year. No matter which way you look at this he was complicit in this one way or another. There are numerous stories that were written throughout the year about his interactions with this girl, whether it was meeting her at the Stanford game and exchanging numbers or his father's story of Te'o seeing her in Hawaii when she would travel there and see Te'o. Even if he legitimately finds out for the first time that she didn't exist, he never met her and lied about all of his interactions with her. No matter what, he knew on Dec. 26th that she never existed and he continued to give interviews after that laeding up to the title game and failed to correct anything during that period of time. He is either the biggest idiot ever or a fraudulent bastard. No matter what he is a liar.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The problem with a story like this is that people do not particularly like to think. Their first snap judgement is going to be their judgement and if their predisposed to not like one of the characters, (e.g. Notre Dame), they're going to go with what they hope and not what might be the truth. He's a liar, they're liars, blah, blah.

Notre Dame was too detailed in their support of Te'o for me to think that they're anything but convinced that he's purely the victim. Plus, they've actually investigated on their own and hired an investigator - they know what the story is.

If the kid comes out and says that he was embarrassed to admit that it was an online relationship, etc., I can buy that. I'm not a Mormon, but I have always known them and they simply do things differently - a long-distance, non-physical relationship is not that uncommon. I've seen it in action and while I find it really odd, I guess some people don't.

What I would like to know and what I expect the guy will be asked is if he tried to visit her when she was so sick. Did he try to send a card? Did he have an address? Did he ever get a card or letter from her? Any voice mails saved?

Perhaps he lied, perhaps he embellished, perhaps he was straight out involved - or perhaps he'd just that gullible. It's hard to believe, but then again, those Nigerian schemes are still around because some MF'ers are stupid enough to fall for 'em. A part of the presser that I found interesting that Manti's first reaction after receiving the call in December was to try to restart the relationship....this guy might just be that dopey.

Disclaimer - I tend to tune out as soon as any details of these players' personal lives are being discussed. I hate Rick Reilly, I hate these emotionally-contrived type stories of player's enduring hardships that are nothing more than every day life and I'm just not really interested in the players past their efforts on the field....so I never knew a thing about the the Te'o girlfriend story until I saw Sportscenter tonight. Never knew he had a girlfriend or that she died or that his grandma died. Nuthin'.

Not sure how it got past me all season, but it did...but now, if you read the above, I am a self-proclaimed expert on it because this is the internet and I have the Google.

Reaction Score
Did Notre Dame hire the same investigator that investigated the rape allegations. I can never take ND at their word after all the things I've read and seen from them over the years. There is certainly a lot of moral ambiguity in how ND deals with scandals and their behavior has been borderline criminal in the past.

Reaction Score
Well at this point it is pretty clear that he either a) lied; or b) lied through omission.

There are too many weird things for me to accept his explanation at face value. I'd agree that since ND investigated it I would think they must feel confident in the story they support, but their PI's aren't going to find everything that the national media is capable of finding now that they are all on the scent.

At this point Te'o lost the right to receive the benefit of the doubt when he didn't refute things he knew to be false after he found out that his "girlfriend" was fictitious. I'm not going to condemn him as a horrible person at this point, but in order to come out of this being viewed as a gullible and naive mormon everything is going to have to check out 100%.

Edit: Also, let's not credit Notre Dame for always paying attention to detail. They hired O'Leary without even checking out his resume.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The problem with a story like this is that people do not particularly like to think. Their first snap judgement is going to be their judgement and if their predisposed to not like one of the characters, (e.g. Notre Dame), they're going to go with what they hope and not what might be the truth. He's a liar, they're liars, blah, blah.

Notre Dame was too detailed in their support of Te'o for me to think that they're anything but convinced that he's purely the victim. Plus, they've actually investigated on their own and hired an investigator - they know what the story is.

If the kid comes out and says that he was embarrassed to admit that it was an online relationship, etc., I can buy that. I'm not a Mormon, but I have always known them and they simply do things differently - a long-distance, non-physical relationship is not that uncommon. I've seen it in action and while I find it really odd, I guess some people don't.

What I would like to know and what I expect the guy will be asked is if he tried to visit her when she was so sick. Did he try to send a card? Did he have an address? Did he ever get a card or letter from her? Any voice mails saved?

Perhaps he lied, perhaps he embellished, perhaps he was straight out involved - or perhaps he'd just that gullible. It's hard to believe, but then again, those Nigerian schemes are still around because some MF'ers are stupid enough to fall for 'em. A part of the presser that I found interesting that Manti's first reaction after receiving the call in December was to try to restart the relationship....this guy might just be that dopey.

Disclaimer - I tend to tune out as soon as any details of these players' personal lives are being discussed. I hate Rick Reilly, I hate these emotionally-contrived type stories of player's enduring hardships that are nothing more than every day life and I'm just not really interested in the players past their efforts on the field....so I never knew a thing about the the Te'o girlfriend story until I saw Sportscenter tonight. Never knew he had a girlfriend or that she died or that his grandma died. Nuthin'.

Not sure how it got past me all season, but it did...but now, if you read the above, I am a self-proclaimed expert on it because this is the internet and I have the Google.

i heard she had a neck as thick as yours.

Reaction Score
Look the kid was embarrassed. as far as saying he met her of course he was going to say that because his friends were going to ask so he didnt want to look like a fool and say his gf is someone he met on the internet but never face to face. id cut this kid some slack. i know exactly what he is going through because i have a friend who went through something very similar. he met a girl online they talked for nearly two years and every time he wanted to meet up with her it was one excuse after the other. i warned him but he had feelings. long story short it turned out this 23 year old blond hair blue eyed college student was actually a 45 year old single mother from wisconsin:eek:
and now mtv has this show called catfish based on this exact scenario. ive caught a couple episodes and this seems to be a growing epidemic. some of these people spend most of their days online conversing with people as anothr person. sad really.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
He's a Mormon and only invented one fictional girl friend?

Reaction Score
This stuff happens all the time.........just found out my own wife, who I thought had a job in London all these years so we couldn't meet, so we got married over the phone 22 years ago with pagers hooked up to each other, really was unemployed over there and an alien......somehow my son, through the glass of sperm (yeah it took years lol) I sent to London, had most of my genes and is over here in the US with me (although we have to hide his tail) living a normal life......I never thought she would lie to me like that as the pictures of her were beautiful.......some day I will go to London and ask why and meet her......:(

caw

Reaction Score
I can see meeting a girl on the internet, I could even understand starting a long distance relationship with a girl met on the internet. I could even see not having met her IRL before. But, it's the age of cell-phones and internet. Video call the girl, facetime, skype, google hangout, etc. It's not that difficult, but there are some real idiots out there.

Either way the guy fabricated a ton of details about her (how they met, where they met, etc.) Didn't his relative also say that she visited Hawaii? Why did he bother, why not just keep it all on the DL.

Reaction Score
This stuff happens all the time.........somehow my son, through the glass of sperm (yeah it took years lol) I sent to London, had most of my genes and is over here in the US with me (although we have to hide his tail) living a normal life...:(

You didn't clip the tail? What if it ends up longer than his d**k?

You know mau, you have to be more careful in how you transfer your cells. You never know where they'll end up. :)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
On Mike and Mike this morning Greenie said that they reached out to the ND AD on this topic and he did respond.
His email said that he was standing by his presser 'for now'. He is opening the back door and preparing to run from what he said yesterday...imo.

Reaction Score
bonjourmanti_zps99d42277.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member