OT: John Calipari interested in Pelicans' job, but can they afford him? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: John Calipari interested in Pelicans' job, but can they afford him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Players want to play with other good players. They don't give a ____ if their coach knows Drake or is a slick-talking huckster. It's about the players.
Agreed. And anyone who is smart is going to want to play with Davis. If he stays healthy, he's the next top player in the league. He's already First-Team worthy.

Reaction Score
This is an example of an article with nothing behind it. Maybe someone asked him if he was interested and he said yeah hypothetically, they can't pay what he would want, so where's the story? If he can get 8 million a year at Kentucky what NBA team will match it indefinitely? None. He's denying interest now. These are like the stories about KO being interested in the NBA and about to leave us right away.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is an example of an article with nothing behind it. Maybe someone asked him if he was interested and he said yeah hypothetically, they can't pay what he would want, so where's the story? If he can get 8 million a year at Kentucky what NBA team will match it indefinitely? None. He's denying interest now. These are like the stories about KO being interested in the NBA and about to leave us right away.
Un-possible.

People only write baseless stories about our coach.

And only because they are trying to undermine the juggernaut that is our recruiting prowess.

Reaction Score
Don't know anything about NO or any other pro team, but, what about money and an ownership position?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Word on the street here in Pgh (and Cal is a Pgh guy) is that Cal was interested in being coach/GM, but the Pelicans are not offering the GM role, just coach. Thus the "not interested" Tweet. Local pundits suggesting Cal isn't moving until he finds a spot that will give him both. Or maybe even just GM.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't believe Squid, EVER

if his lips are moving, I assume he's lying
and if they aren't he's thinking up a lie to use later.

Reaction Score
KY recruiting is good because:
A)World Wide Wes.
B) Cal promising NBA level talent that they will play in the NBA.

As a coach,worse. He had arguably the most physically talented players the last two years and did not bring home the Bacon.

Now I am sure NBA teams are drooling over a college coach who has proven his prowess in the pros with 72-112 precord.

CL82

Reaction Score
I hear the Grizzlies are interested as well.
humboldt+squid+and+bear+Tofino.jpg

Reaction Score
I think NOLA wants to use him as a recruiter more than anything else. they want NOLA to be a cool place to play and they know he has some good connections with players throughout the league. Problem seems to be an actual NBA team, cant afford to pay this guy what a college team can afford to pay him. Kinda crazy when you really think about it.
He might take a substantial cut if the were some ownership options
If two parties want to make a deal bad enough there is always a way,

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Given the opportunity to reunite with star forward Anthony Davis, Kentucky coach John Calipari has made it known to New Orleans Pelicans officials that he's interested in the team's vacant head-coaching job, a source close to Calipari said Tuesday.

There have been exploratory conversations between Calipari and the Pelicans, the source said, but it doesn't appear the team would be willing to meet his financial demands to leave Kentucky.

League sources said the Pelicans are willing to pay around $4 million to $5 million per season for Monty Williams' successor. Williams was fired last week after five seasons at the helm.

But Calipari makes about $8 million annually and recently agreed to a one-year contract extension through 2022, which he hasn't yet signed. The $3 million gap in annual compensation is a major sticking point for Calipari, who would also want input on the Pelicans' roster, according to the source.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2015/05/john_calipari_interested_in_pe.html

Brilliant move tcf. This will scare a ton of recruits away!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The NCAA doesn't sanction anymore, not in any form that matters.

Cal can just self ban his too young to make a run team and continue on like nothing happened. He just needs to wait until December to announce it.

Reaction Score
Kentucky just got another perfect APR score. So just pass easy courses while you're there, no major even needed, then leave, perfect.

CL82

Reaction Score
Just don't graduate and then go to another school for grad work, because that would be a crime against humanity.

Reaction Score
Kentucky just got another perfect APR score. So just pass easy courses while you're there, no major even needed, then leave, perfect.
Not sure how they could know that, half their team left early and won't sign pro contracts till June

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If I remember from our experience,APR scores are a year behind.

Reaction Score
Didn't want to start another Calimari thread so figured I'd add this on to this thread. I can't believe I just read this below. I'm sure the UK administration and all their fans are happy to hear this. What a load of crap!

Calipari spoke, and near the beginning of his speech (audio below), he claimed that getting as many players into the NBA Draft was Kentucky's primary goal this season. It wasn't winning a national title -- it was putting guys into the draft. That was the objective.

"How do we do this? It all starts with players first," Calipari said. "Their dreams become our dreams. Last year we started the season with a goal. You may think that goal was to win the national title! Win al the games! It was to get eight players drafted. 'Well, how can you be about your team if you're worried about players getting drafted?' Well, we kind of work it the other way. What are you dreams? What are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of life? How can we help you with that?"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...goal-was-to-get-players-drafted-not-win-title

Reaction Score
lots of weird stuff with cal buzzing now. He really made a pyramid of 'success' and claimed it original.

CFi1BfkVAAAHSkP.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Didn't want to start another Calimari thread so figured I'd add this on to this thread. I can't believe I just read this below. I'm sure the UK administration and all their fans are happy to hear this. What a load of crap!

Calipari spoke, and near the beginning of his speech (audio below), he claimed that getting as many players into the NBA Draft was Kentucky's primary goal this season. It wasn't winning a national title -- it was putting guys into the draft. That was the objective.

"How do we do this? It all starts with players first," Calipari said. "Their dreams become our dreams. Last year we started the season with a goal. You may think that goal was to win the national title! Win al the games! It was to get eight players drafted. 'Well, how can you be about your team if you're worried about players getting drafted?' Well, we kind of work it the other way. What are you dreams? What are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of life? How can we help you with that?"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...goal-was-to-get-players-drafted-not-win-title
Wow.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

I've defended the guy before but that's pretty nauseating.

Reaction Score
I've defended the guy before but that's pretty nauseating.

I'm sure there is audio or tape off him saying their goal was to go undefeated. Which inturn includes winning a national championship.

Reaction Score
It's not a lie if you believe it.
Like JC said about the difference between Calpari and Petino
"The are both BSers ,but Petino knows it's BS.
Calipari actually believes his own lies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog