OT: John Calipari interested in Pelicans' job, but can they afford him? | The Boneyard

OT: John Calipari interested in Pelicans' job, but can they afford him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Given the opportunity to reunite with star forward Anthony Davis, Kentucky coach John Calipari has made it known to New Orleans Pelicans officials that he's interested in the team's vacant head-coaching job, a source close to Calipari said Tuesday.

There have been exploratory conversations between Calipari and the Pelicans, the source said, but it doesn't appear the team would be willing to meet his financial demands to leave Kentucky.

League sources said the Pelicans are willing to pay around $4 million to $5 million per season for Monty Williams' successor. Williams was fired last week after five seasons at the helm.

But Calipari makes about $8 million annually and recently agreed to a one-year contract extension through 2022, which he hasn't yet signed. The $3 million gap in annual compensation is a major sticking point for Calipari, who would also want input on the Pelicans' roster, according to the source.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2015/05/john_calipari_interested_in_pe.html

Reaction Score
He's currently hosting 5* Jamal Murray on campus, so he's gotta say this.

Reaction Score
Cal isn't an adequate nba coach. he is a motivator and master recruiter, not much x&os/ or 'quick hitters' as KO calls them. Still find it hilarious monty was fired after being given an ultimatum to make the playoffs and keep his job. ha

Reaction Score
Difference between KO and Calipari-- I don't believe Calipari when he says he's staying.
3/27/2009 - Calipari, who just completed his ninth season with the Tigers, told a group of reporters at Wilson Air Center today that Memphis is "where I want to coach."

4/1/2009 - After over a day of deliberation, John Calipari is headed to Kentucky. The coach sent a text message to ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Tuesday evening saying, "I am accepting the UK job! Go Big Blue, coach Cal."

Reaction Score
It amazes me that any NBA team would want this guy, there is no recruiting in the NBA and he's just not much of a coach.

Reaction Score
You can't help but wonder the impact of this uncertainty on UK's recruiting. We are all to familiar with that. With that said, Cal got some very good recruits already, but they clearly didn't load up as they had hoped after this years huge exodus of players. Now I don't know if worries about him leaving influenced some of the blue chip holdouts that chose to go elsewhere or if the platoon fiasco or they just weren't buying what the car salesman was hocking.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
3/27/2009 - Calipari, who just completed his ninth season with the Tigers, told a group of reporters at Wilson Air Center today that Memphis is "where I want to coach."

4/1/2009 - After over a day of deliberation, John Calipari is headed to Kentucky. The coach sent a text message to ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Tuesday evening saying, "I am accepting the UK job! Go Big Blue, coach Cal."

I don't believe Squid, EVER

if his lips are moving, I assume he's lying

Reaction Score
I think NOLA wants to use him as a recruiter more than anything else. they want NOLA to be a cool place to play and they know he has some good connections with players throughout the league. Problem seems to be an actual NBA team, cant afford to pay this guy what a college team can afford to pay him. Kinda crazy when you really think about it.

Reaction Score
I think NOLA wants to use him as a recruiter more than anything else. they want NOLA to be a cool place to play and they know he has some good connections with players throughout the league. Problem seems to be an actual NBA team, cant afford to pay this guy what a college team can afford to pay him. Kinda crazy when you really think about it.
No NBA players are going to come play for Calipari because they think he's cool.

Reaction Score
No NBA players are going to come play for Calipari because they think he's cool.

You give today's kids too much credit. 1. Cal, 2. playing with AD. I think that would give them enough spot light for max players to be interested in going there and teaming up.

Reaction Score

These are adults, not 17 year olds. They don't give a ____ about whether their coach is a good recruiter.

Reaction Score
Recruiting still happens in the NBA--just takes the form of free agency. I think Cal would have a bigger impact in attracting players than Monty Williams. Players want to play with other good players (Big Threes, and all that). Cal would have one of the ultimate attractions in AD. I think he would be able to land other big time players to go along side AD.

Reaction Score
Recruiting still happens in the NBA--just takes the form of free agency. I think Cal would have a bigger impact in attracting players than Monty Williams. Players want to play with other good players (Big Threes, and all that). Cal would have one of the ultimate attractions in AD. I think he would be able to land other big time players to go along side AD.
It's not even remotely similar.

Top high school talent flocks to Cal because they know he's good at putting guys in the best position to get drafted in the lottery. Add in Kentucky, which is the Hollywood of college hoops, and you've got an ideal match for a lot of these kids.

New Orleans doesn't offer the spotlight that top-flight NBA talent is looking for - that'd be LA and Miami - and most NBA starts (and their reps) would see right through Cal's self-promoting.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be able to recruit some talent to the Pelicans, especially since playing with Anthony Davis is a great incentive for anyone. But the recruiting process in the NBA is nothing like it is in college.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Coaches don't attract talent in the NBA one bit, it's all about player relationships, markets, and contract dollars.

Reaction Score
I think KD in OKC showed that you can take a place that isnt a major desination and turn it into one. With AD there in NOLA he alone can attract some major talent. Add in Cal to 1st keep AD there, and then add the circus that he brings with him wherever he goes and all of the sudden the Pelicans are getting a much bigger spotlight than they ever have. I definitely think he can help keep AD and attract other players to NOLA. Its all mute though as he wont be leaving his top level paying job to go to the NBA and have more responsibility for about half the pay.

Reaction Score
He's gone. If he's going to jump this is the opportunity...just sit back and let Davis do his thing....just like he did at kensucky...

Reaction Score

Players want to play with other good players. They don't give a ____ if their coach knows Drake or is a slick-talking huckster. It's about the players.

Reaction Score
MAYBE he's waiting/hoping that the Cavs job comes his way but NOLA is no scrub either

Reaction Score
Players want to play with other good players. They don't give a ____ if their coach knows Drake or is a slick-talking huckster. It's about the players.

I agree, but what I meant was that Calipari would be a better salesman than Monty Williams in selling NO and the Pelicans. Cal is an all-time shmoozer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom