OT: It's Party Time in Flushing Meadows | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: It's Party Time in Flushing Meadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Along with Andy Roddick and Todd Martin, James Blake was the face of American tennis in the 90's.
Perhaps you've heard/read that he was abused by a NYC undercover cop on Wednesday in a case of mistaken identity.
I'm just expressing a wish that the situation works out to James' satisfaction.
yeah how did they get that wrong!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I caught some of Lopez's quarterfinal win and was excited to see a good serve and volleyer with a full-time slice backhand (he came over it sometimes, too, but clearly preferred the slice). Such a breath of fresh air. Wish he could have gotten past Djoker but that's a tall order. . .

Obviously his backhand is not the masterpiece that Roger's has been, but it's not shabby.

I used the one-handed backhand throughout my tennis playing days........ so Im partial to those who play like that. I primarily sliced it through high school........ didnt really feel confident enough to come over it consistently until college and afterwards. Obviously Im biased.... but the one handed topspin backhand is the most beautiful shot in all of tennis. Federer has a great one....... but my favorite all time backhand has to be Gasquet's.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Grandpa Carmelo was 120 when Francesca Shiavone won the 2010 French Open. I felt his joyous whispers to me.
Now in his 125th year, he witnesses Flavia Pennetta handle the #2 seed to earn the final. Grandpa gives me
the, um, toothiest grin imaginable. He tells me that, given the many, many countries who send players to Slams, he's OK
with one paisan(a) every 5 years.

Anyway, Flavia played with beautiful clay court patience, getting balls deep, waiting for clear openings, just frustrating Simona no end.
Brava, brava.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
No Halep, no Kvitova, no Azarenka- that only helps Serena. She just needs to go out and execute. Just four sets from history. Rise to the occasion and opportunity, Serena! This is all about you!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Along with Andy Roddick and Todd Martin, James Blake was the face of American tennis in the 90's.
Perhaps you've heard/read that he was abused by a NYC undercover cop on Wednesday in a case of mistaken identity.
I'm just expressing a wish that the situation works out to James' satisfaction.

Reminds me a little bit of a similar incident long ago --

mdavis.jpg

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Serena grabs first set. Now three sets from history!

Reaction Score
Serena lost. The pressure got to her. She made unforced errors that you don't normally see her make. Vinci played well but...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
welp it was a good try... congrats to the Italian

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
now the pundits saying it was bound to happen... mentioning all her flaws lol

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
As one who is cynical of red tape, officiousness, and bureaucracy, I say the woman twice won 4 in a row, Who gives
blankety-blank what the order was?!!!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Upsets happen in sports and pressure can severely affect the performance of an athlete. Having the entire world watching your attempt at history is a tough thing to deal with.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As one who is cynical of red tape, officiousness, and bureaucracy, I say the woman twice won 4 in a row, Who gives
blankety-blank what the order was?!!!!

I agree. She has twice held a four majors at once, so in my mind she has won two grand slams.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know ticket scalpers are :mad: right now... Might be 3,000 people in the stands tomorrow.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
wasn't able to claw her way outta this one... it was a fun ride to watch!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
For those of you who went wandering because of the rain delay, be of good cheer, for the men are now warming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom